Facing death.

Diane

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 06:48 pm
Boida, yeppers, YAY!!

Walter, Tai Chi, jespah and DrewDad, yes, it is happy news.
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 08:20 pm
@Diane,
I am soooooooooooooooooo happy for you! whoooooooooopeeeeeeeeeeee!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 09:59 pm
@Diane,
That's such good news to hear, Diane. Just continue with your positive vibes
and all will be good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 10:05 pm
@Diane,
Diane wrote:
I really don't know if the test was messed up because i do have a long history of choesterol problems and they do run in my family.

I was specculating, but it does seem very strange that tey were that high, when they are ususually in the 300's.

300's are usual for you? that's still high risk

I guess the extreme upside is that you've got a great opportunity to adjust your diet and exercise regimen and hopefully great incentive to do so.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 10:32 pm
Whew! That IS good news!

Um, you usually test in the 300s!?...how long have you been taking statins?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2011 11:03 pm
@Diane,
Diane wrote:

Deb, I don't know. He said that the entire report woul be forwarded to my regular md. I am going to call her to get details.

I was scheduled to go in today to go over the results with the cardiologist, but the tester called last night, instead, to say that it all tested out as normal and that the cardiologist didn't need to see me for six months.

i do hope it is the bestest news!!!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 12:13 am
@Diane,
Diane wrote:
Got all the tests and everything tested out as normal. Yay!!!

That's a pity, because I never liked you, so I was hoping for something more dramatic.

Diet-wise, I have managed to control my blood sugar pharmacology-free by having lots of salads with every meal (except breakfast, where I have oatmeal, yogurt, and some kind of fruit). Lotsa lettuce, lots of tomato, lots of peppers, herbs and other spicy stuff. A surprise hit was the discovery of lemon-juice plus pepper for dressings. Works as well as vinegar, but adds plenty of vitamin C. The rest is lean meat and a lid on the starches. My nutritionist said that a good rule of thumb for carbs is to make a fist, and to eat that volume of rice, or potato, or bread, or whatever you like best.

Your mileage may vary, but this is working very well for me. If you try it, too, I may have to put up with you for a long time to come.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 10:20 am
@Diane,
Diane,

I would keep that appointment. It sounds like there is enough confusion about what your test results are that some 'splaining is due.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 10:50 am
@Swimpy,
In our clinical lab, if we had an unusual reading even while all the control specimens were as they should be, we would repeat it before sending the result out. Then the patient's m.d. would often send in another specimen, or the patient would return to the lab. It is possible that specimens can be mixed up, but very rare, as lab procedures are generally very tight on that. My guess is that chol test result was a spike at the time.
I think JPB knows more about current lab procedures than I do these days.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 11:06 am
@Swimpy,
Yes, I agree. Very glad the the news seems to be better than you'd feared, though!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 03:07 pm
@Swimpy,
Not only go for an appointment, but request a hard copy (and a disk if they have one) of the results of your tests.

I always keep hard copies, and discs of tests. When I get the reports, the first thing that I do is go on the computer, and check everything out. IMO, it is essential for a patient to understand what is going on in his/her body. Just "everything is alright" simply does not cut it for me.

I think that doing this is important for a number of reasons. Some doctors like to make a big mystery about what they do. A patient needs to feel empowered, and a way of feeling in control is knowing exactly what is happening medically.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 08:27 pm
Thomas - you are amazing - a shining light for me!

I'm going to try and take a leaf out of your book!
0 Replies

enobaria

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:40 am
this is just sad
0 Replies