Facing death.

chai2

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 12:04 pm
I....I didn't know cholesterol could get that high.

oh diane, I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

except that I don't think one of you can do without the other.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 12:38 pm
Other than by the content of posts like this one, based on your participation on A2K, I would never guess you were having any cognititive problems. I think the person who told you you're IQ has dropped is sorely mistaken.

It's been evident for some time now that Dys has been in poor health, but I was unaware of your condition.

You both seem to be looking towards the end of your lives which is not only natural, but, I think, advisable...unless there is something you can realistically do to forestall the inevitable, and secure more time which you can reasonably enjoy.

I completely understand the value of expressing your thoughts in a forum in which you know they will be heard - whether or not you really want any feedback, so I would encourage you to continue to use this forum for that purpose. I think you are more likely to get sick of well wishes than deal with any insensitive clod (who you can always "ignore" in any case).

I hope you and dys find your way to better health or peace of mind, which ever you need more.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 04:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Farmerman is right - nothing is inevitable. My pop had a bad bout of cancer and was told by 1 doc that he had a 5% survival chance and by two others that his chances were closer to Zero than 5%. He went ahead with the surgery anyway.

I was supposed to be dead in 1994. Showed that stupid doctor a thing or two! Wink
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 02:36 am
Jo, Edgar, Mismi, thank you for the kind and well meant words.

Dutchy, thank you for describing your experience with heart trouble and what you did to recover.. I have always been the kind of person who loves life, mostly, and this has been a jolt You are a survivor and are someone I can look to for inspiration. Also, I have missed playing haiku and other word games with you

Pemerson, you are someone I have always respected and I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

Mismi, you are a sweetheart. That you for you kind and gentle spirit.

Green Witch, I have loads of the bad stuff and very little of the good stuff (HDL?) And yes, it does run in the family. I have also gained thirty pounds in the past four years. On a 5’ frame, that’s a lot of extra weight to be carrying around.

Failures Art, I didn’t really feel my own mortality until an operation in 2008, when I was sixty five. There were several things wrong and I was fully aware that I might not survive the operation. Since I had always been perfectly healthy, even with weight going up and down over the years, my doctors would often comment on my good health. I'm grateful that it took so long for me to realize that my normally healthy body had some serious problems.

Noinpo, your memoirs will be a beautiful gift for you sons. What you have done reminds me of Sozobe and her stories of Sozlet growing up
Dutchy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 02:49 am
@Diane,
Diane thank you for your kind words, I note your age in your post, if it is any consolation I'm many years older than you, so don't give up you have lots to live for. Look forward meeting you on the threads.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:01 am

Hawkeye, what a nice thing to say. Dys and I face death in our own way. Dys’ doctor told him he had the strongest will to live than anyone she has ever met.

{{{{{Margo}}}}}

Hey Roger, it is one of the best ways to put it, “You go what you go, now do what you gotta

do.”
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:16 am
Deb, I guess that there is a part of me that seems to be missing. Part of Diane is not available and there are times when I just wish she would go completely.
I f you have read Dys and Roberta talk about their illness robbing their brains to the point that they no longer feel the same. They can feel some loss to their brains. That is exactly how I feel, except there is another part of me, that vital part of me that made my life a joy most of the time.

You said,” it’s kind of hard to be confronted with the reality that we are in a sense "meat"....and that our inner essence can be affected by purely physical events. NOT how we like to think of it.”

So true, and it isn’t pleasant to think of in those terms, but I have never had a problem with death and decay. That is what happens.

I think it was Mark Twain who said something about how boring constant harp music would be if that is what is to be found in heaven.

Diane

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:25 am
Walter, you’d better believe that both Dys and I are looking forward to seeing you and Ulla in May.

Neither Dys nor I take death so seriously that we would let it interfere with seeing you again.

Laugh out loud, that is just what you made me do. Dys and I plan on being cremated, but if we can arrange it, our ashes will float by and send along a quiet thought of a kiss to all.
Diane

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:31 am
@sozobe,
Absolutely, Soz. At the time I didn't realize how serious it was, although I wanted to go to the hospital during the few times I was lucid. It was just the talking that seemed to be too much trouble.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 04:04 am
@Diane,
Diane wrote:

Walter, you’d better believe that both Dys and I are looking forward to seeing you and Ulla in May.

Neither Dys nor I take death so seriously that we would let it interfere with seeing you again.

Fine: devil-may-care what happens afterwards (we don't like as you know) Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 04:22 am
@Diane,
Well, if you don't like harp music you warped nun, go do something BIG TIME about your damned cholesterol!!!!

Or TRY.

You said yourself it might make a difference about your sense of "you-ness."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Diana)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

If you wanna go, you wanna go....but give meat a chance!
jespah

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 08:14 am
@dlowan,
All we are saying, is give meat a chance ....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 08:50 am
@Diane,
Glad to see you back here, querida, sounding like someone I know. I promise to calm down and behave myself (more or less, give or take). You can erase any concern you had about being bopped on the head with a pig bladder.

Glad you agree with my first post: You got what you got. Now do what you gotta do. This approach to illness has gotten me through some ooky times.

Remembering a moment when on a street corner in the forties. I said I'd support you and be behind you no matter what. Different subject, but the thought and feeling are still there.

Love ya, you uppity old broad.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 08:55 am
@Diane,
James has some words for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEtAj52scpg&feature=related

just do it. show 'em how funky you are.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 09:09 am
@Diane,
Just reassure me that you are under a doctor's care and following said doctor's instructions and I will not sit by you in quiet support. You know I love you, D. You've been part of my cyber life for as long as I've been on the internet.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 09:34 am
@Diane,
Well, Lady Diane, you swimp and I have survived gall bladder surgery. Like dys, my son was a fighter but compromised by uncaring doctors.

I know that you love music. Often it is as soothing as the touch of a hand. Last evening when I could not sleep I thought of him singing South City Midnight Lady. Instead of a tear, it brought a sense of comfort

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWAo7Hleb98

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 09:47 am
Diane, I do not have words to express how I feel about this. But Dylan Thomas did. Do not go gentle into that good night, my friend.

<holding your hand>
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:27 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Diane, I do not have words to express how I feel about this. But Dylan Thomas did. Do not go gentle into that good night, my friend.

<holding your hand>

Quoting Eva's post! Please do not give up without a fight, and please make your first fight to get appropriate medical help. I would miss you if you weren't around (and have missed you when you were posting infrequently).
dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 12:11 pm
@Tai Chi,
Diane's neurologist reports that she can expect to live to at least 87 IF there is a change in medications/diet to control her cholesterol and her depression. That is essentially what she was told by her reg Doc and her therapist. The neurologist also reports that Diane's brain function is normal.
Swimpy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 12:36 pm
@dyslexia,
My post should have read: Just reassure me that you are under a doctor's care and following said doctor's instructions and I WILL sit by you in quiet support. You know I love you, D. You've been part of my cyber life for as long as I've been on the internet.

Goddammed fingers!
dys wrote:
Diane's neurologist reports that she can expect to live to at least 87 IF there is a change in medications/diet to control her cholesterol and her depression. That is essentially what she was told by her reg Doc and her therapist. The neurologist also reports that Diane's brain function is normal.

Dys, Thank you for posting that. I expect Dyane to live to a minimum of 87. Let's get those meds working and get that wayward nun back on the path to good health.