Tai Chi

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 01:23 pm
@dyslexia,
Well, that's good to hear!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 01:40 pm
@Diane,
I am glad you're asking for help. Have you been tasking medication to reduce cholesterol? That should be a big first step if not. Eat nuts, olive oil, fruits and vegetables (not bananas or potatoes). Do not eat milk, cheese, beef. Do take cholesterol lowering meds, fishoil, omega 3s, etc.

And watch the sugar.

To me, via the internet, you sound just fine. But I understand that I can't really be a good judge from here. You are less joyful than I once knew you to be, but given the health issues you and Dys face, that's easy to understand.
JTT

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 02:01 pm
@littlek,
What's bad about bananas, LittleK?
littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 02:13 pm
@JTT,
They are startchy - easy exchange to sugar. Of course, they also have lots of good stuff.
littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 02:17 pm
Don't focus on what you CAN'T eat. Focus on what you CAN eat.
http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/heart-healthy-kitchen
JTT

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 02:19 pm
@littlek,
I never knew that. I always thought that bananas were a near perfect food. Isn't that good sugar, though? Is it only bad for those who cholesterol is high?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 02:25 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Is it only bad for those who cholesterol is high?
or diabetic...as the goal is to level out blood sugar levels and banana's spike them more than just about any other fruit...
littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 02:26 pm
@JTT,
I don't want to knock bananas. They are near perfect, especially if you're a healthy person. They have fast-to-digest sugar (glucose) which can spike blood sugar. You want fruits that have a better sugar (non-glucose) and higher fiber ratios like apples, blueberries and avocadoes.
littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 02:45 pm
@littlek,
Anyway, this is a thread to help Diane, specifically. My commentary may or may not be beneficial to anyone else.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:34 pm
@littlek,
That's true. From your source they also recommend eating lots of fatty fish,
walnuts, oatmeal and oat bran. They say that in a study where these super foods are part of your diet, they're just as effective as medication to reduce
the bad LDLs.

The Mayo clinic gives similar choices.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:42 pm
Diane, below is a cut and paste of a thread I started a bit ago, entitled "Sardines for breakfast."

check out these results...

I just got my bloodwork back.

For a month I ate sardines like 6 days a week, drank 3 glasses of oj (not from concentrate), ate walnuts maybe 4 times a week, and a small about of dark choclate maybe 4 or 5 times a week.

My HDL's went up 22%.
They went from 36 to 44 (should be at least 46)

That is amazing.

My LDL's are really low anyway, but they went down 2 points.
They went from 72 to 70 (should be less than 130)

Total cholesterol remained about the same, at 140, and lipids actually went up a little bit, from 162 to 168 (should be less than 150)

I'm really encouraged by that increase in HDL's.
It was really discouraging to up one's exercise, not eat some things you really like, and see absolutley no difference.

Might be worth trying.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 03:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Is it only bad for those who cholesterol is high?
or diabetic...as the goal is to level out blood sugar levels and banana's spike them more than just about any other fruit...

that's an important point here as Diane has to balance a couple of things to get her diet right. bananas aren't an option - most fruit juices are out as well
dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 04:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Lady Diane is diabetic.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 04:15 pm
@dyslexia,
Yes, I recall that from a couple of our trips.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 04:44 pm
@chai2,
OJ is also not an option for Diane.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 04:47 pm
Diane, is all of this overwhelming? What would help you most right now?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 05:54 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Diane's neurologist reports that she can expect to live to at least 87 IF there is a change in medications/diet to control her cholesterol and her depression. That is essentially what she was told by her reg Doc and her therapist. The neurologist also reports that Diane's brain function is normal.

Thanks, dys.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 08:33 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

. . . and a small about of dark choclate maybe 4 or 5 times a week.

Not everyone could stand up to a regime like that, though.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2011 11:19 pm
@chai2,
Ya know, babe, that is a diet I could live with. I know fruit juice is, for the most part out, but I diluted my with half cup of water.

I like bitter chocolate, anywhere from 72% to 895%.

And I enjoy sardines.

I can modify most of that in a way that would be good for a low cholesterol diet and a diet for diabetics.

Lookin' good around here.