English grammar

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:48 am
At the moment I'm reading a book called "Persuasion" by Jane Austen and I have a doubt: "Lady Russel had not been arrived...". Why is it used the passive voice with a verb "arrive" that is intransitive? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 496 • Replies: 8
No top replies

JTT

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 12:11 pm
@lrivero83,
Quote:
At the moment I'm reading a book called "Persuasion" by Jane Austen and I have a doubt: "Lady Russel had not been arrived...". Why is [it] [used] the passive voice used with a verb "arrive" that is intransitive? Thanks

Has it been transcribed accurately? It's difficult to say, Irivero. The book was completed in 1816. There might be social considerations that would make such a use natural in 1816 society that do not apply in the English of today.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 12:30 pm
What's the rest of the sentence??

The word "arrived" has several meanings for this period in history, especially when it involves status and order of importance.

The "lady" may not have been greeted, titled, acknowledged, etc.

fresco

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:26 pm
@PUNKEY,
http://books.google.com/books?id=TVoLbKFUb2wC&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=Russell+had+not+been+arrived&source=bl&ots=Lgda7Eb3vl&sig=0-nFPakDJgXV5aWCM_4vDnl_sCw&hl=en&ei=codITbHwMo2whQfAwKSgBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Russell%20had%20not%20been%20arrived&f=false
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:53 pm
"There was a little awkwardness at first in their discourse on another subject. They must speak of the accident at Lyme. Lady Russel had not been arrived five minutes the day before, when a full account of the whole had burst on her; but still it must be talked of, she must make enquiries, she must regret the imprudence, lament the result, and Captain Wentworth’s name must be mentioned by both."

It is just gossip anyway.

I noticed in England "he was sat" is used so it must be the spoken English as opposed to "proper English".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 04:57 pm
@lrivero83,

It just means she had only just arrived at the place, she had only been there five minutes, when this event happened,
0 Replies

lrivero83

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 05:41 pm
@PUNKEY,
Lady Russel had not been arrived five minutes the day before, when a full account of the whole had burst on her; but still it must be talked of, she must make enquiries, she must regret the imprudence, lament the result, and Captain Wentworth’s name must be mentioned by both."

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 03:20 am
@lrivero83,

Why did you post that? Is the matter not now clear to you?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 09:33 am
Kind of like:

I hadn't been out of the room for five minutes, when all hell broke out.
0 Replies