How about another San Francisco Meet?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 11:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Hi Walter, Just got back from Mexico-Cuba today, and was surprised that nobody acknowledged their coming for the Meet. I'm flabbergasted!

I'll post a venue, date, and time by tomorrow eve for the SF Meet, and hope some people will show. Otherwise, I'll be more than happy to show you and Ulla around Northern California. I promise, you guys won't be disappointed!

Trust me; it's not you that's scaring people away, so you can blame me for people not showing up.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 04:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Our first venue will be at Scala's Bistro at 432 Powell Street on May 28 @ 11:30AM. Please let me know how many are going to show up. I have Meet caps for all who show up.

McTag

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:55 am
@cicerone imposter,

You're a good man, T.

Greetings to any who know me. Have a great time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 12:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I do think that the two of us will be there Wink
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 12:44 pm
I, and possibly my wife, will be there.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 12:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I can pick up you and Ulla to save on parking; it's very expensive to park in SF. T.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 04:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Okay. Thanks! (Details later)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 06:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Where and what time are you going to serve them hotdogs and beer?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 09:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Where and what time are you going to serve them hotdogs and beer?

It would be rude to serve outside food at the Bistro!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Is this thing still on?

Cycloptichorn
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Sure!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 03:45 pm
Yum.

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 03:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So how was Scala? It was nice when we were there, but that was in 2004..
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 07:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi osso, All went well - as the world turns. Scala's corned beef hash with eggs and a little hot sauce was very good. Haven't had hash in a long while, so I really enjoyed it. We were tucked into a somewhat cubby hole by the entrance, so the noise level of only us talking; it was perfect. Any more suggestions?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 07:33 pm
@ossobuco,
It really has been very nice!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 07:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I still follow SF food by reading the chronicle, but I don't save the names of the newly raved about places since my chance of getting there anytime soon is dim. But, one I used to like, I think on Market, is the Zuni Cafe, run (then and maybe now) by Judy Rodgers. I was only there once, for a weekday lunch with a friend who lives in woodside but took me to town (museums, food, gardens) when I did visit. Anyway, It's famous for Judy Rodgers' flavorful roast chicken.
http://www.zunicafe.com/ It was then just a plain place, no big fancy deal.

Sometimes in SF I've just been lucky. One trip my husband and I made, we could do no wrong. A little hole in the wall sandwich stand, great. Small place on Union St., great. And so on. All done by just looking around where we were when we were hungry.

Walter might enjoy going into Cafe Presse - not necessarily to eat - I don't remember the food, maybe for good reason, but it is both across from the entry gate to chinatown and has a lot of international newspapers (or did). The coffee might have been good.

There's still the Coppola cafe we all went to - on Kearny; that was pretty cozy.
http://www.cafecoppola.com/cafezoetrope/
We all just walked in, perhaps in mid or early afternoon.
It might have been near the City Lights book store, but maybe my memory is skewed.

There's a famously good Vietnamese place that I've never been to, The Slanted Door. Probably needs reservation. I've read about the noise level and level of expense - perhaps both high - but I don't remember.
http://www.slanteddoor.com/
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I forgot Greens. Vegetarian place that even I liked - it's in the Fort Mason area, also near a good bookshop, just across the lane. View of the Golden Gate if I remember, or if not, still a pretty nice wall of windows. I've only been there for lunch a couple of times, when I went to the Photo San Francisco show one year at some Hall in the Fort Mason complex. At least back then (?? 2005) it was rather gracious, I don't remember it as loud, and not way expensive. Not cheap, but I thought it was reasonable and relaxing (I get very intense in photo shows - and that one had well regarded photographers giving lectures/slide shows besides the regular exhibit).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Been to Cappola's place, and interesting you mentioned Cafe Presse where I had breakfast some years ago. Will look into Slanted Door and Zuni Cafe.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, I put a photo of all of us there (but me behind the camera) in Bob's thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Read the Zuni Cafe's history - it makes me laugh..