Photos released in campaign to save uncontacted Amazonian tribe‎

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 11:58 am
http://i55.tinypic.com/dxer8x.jpg

Brazilian Indian leader Davi Kopenawa Yanomami said: "The place where the Indians live, fish, hunt and plant must be protected. That is why it is useful to show pictures of the uncontacted Indians, for the whole world to know that they are there in their forest and that the authorities must respect their right to live there."

More photos and stories at Survival International
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,336 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 12:01 pm
Interesting stuff, Walter . . . thanks . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 01:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
not much hope, I fear for their survival.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 01:41 pm
So much for being "uncontacted.'

Fascinating . . . I would be interested about their health/diseases (if there is cancer, diabetes, etc.) mental health issues (depression? anxiety? post partum?), diet, medicines (natural) , and family roles (fathering and mothering, teen problems?)
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 04:06 am
I would be interested in their child mortality rate and their average life expectancy. Anyone who thinks life is wonderful and happy to be a native in the jungle hasnt lived with them.
0 Replies

ragnel

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 09:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Since it hit the headlines I have often wondered how this tribe was coping, all the time hoping we (as in the 'civilised' world) would just leave them alone to get on with their lives (and deaths).

I was pretty sick not long after this and to a great degree lost touch with what was happening in the world around me and so I missed the news that the whole thing was a hoax and that the tribe has in fact been monitored since the early twentieth century.

http://able2know.org/topic/118376-1

I raised the subject because one of the tv channels (Rupert Murdoch owned) is advertising their big Sunday Night Special on the tribe and the ad showed the reporters and cameras clustered around the 'subjects' in their usual sensitive manner (ie with sledge hammer tactics). It broke my heart to see this. Anything for a fast buck. No doubt the do-gooders will step in to dress them, convert them, give them each the latest model cell phone (and disease)and exploit them cruelly just as we have done to every innocent culture we have ever come across.

Don't feel very charitable towards my fellow man at present.
0 Replies