Java Plug-in Fatal Error

Roberta

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 02:02 pm
I was computing, minding my own business, when I got the above error message.

I went to Google to see what I could find out. I found a place that suggested downloading a new Java. It gave me a link. I got worried. How do I know this is legitimate?

So I'm here. I still don't know what the error message means. I don't much care. If I have to fix something, please let me know what I have to do.

Please explain things to me in noncomputerese. When it comes to computers, I'm an idiot. Not proud of it, but dem's da facts.

Thanks.

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 07:35 pm
Okay, let's do this step-by-step. I'm assuming you're using Windows XP. If something different, let me know.

Click the Start button located on your keyboard between the left side Ctrl and Alt keys or click the green colored Start button on your monitor screen in the lower left corner. This brings up what is called the Start Menu.

Click Settings then Control Panel. In the list of choices you should find one for Java. Click on it.

This brings up the Java Control Panel. One of the menu tab choices is Update. Click it. Make sure that the Check for Updates Automatically box is checked. (Once checked, you can ignore any future notices about updates because they will now be automatically done for you when needed.) Okay, move on down to the bottom portion of the Java Control Panel and click on the Update Now button. If your Java software is up to date, it will tell you so. If it needs an update, follow the instructions on the screen to download and install it. Usually it is just a matter of clicking OK. Often times, when finished, it requires you to restart the computer to finish the install. Do so.

That should fix it for you.

If it says your Java program is already up to date then you probably got a nefarious notice from some malware on a website. Don't click on those notices or follow their instructions. Just close your browser and restart it.

Let me know how it goes.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 12:17 am
Thank you, thank you, thank you, butrfly. I'll do all this either tomorrow or the day after.

I'll let you know if it works.

In addition to the info, thanks for presenting it in language I can understand.

It ain't easy being an idiot.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 02:44 am
butrfly, I downloaded the new Java. I think it worked. I don't notice any difference. But nothing exploded. If the new Java is installed correctly, how could I tell?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2011 03:10 am
It's installed correctly. I went to a game I was having trouble getting into. Got in, and the new Java logo was visible.

Thanks mucho for your help.
0 Replies