Tunesia, Egyt and now Yemen: a domino effect in the Middle East?

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 10:55 pm
@failures art,
It wasn't a revolution at all.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 10:57 pm
@Lash,
Lash, the Brits were at it long before the USA, and still are. Sadly, their track record is just as ugly. They've supported puppet dictatorships and regimes just as readily.
JTT

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 10:57 pm
@Ceili,
You can't put that aside, Ceili. That's part and parcel of what has caused all these problems in the ME. Bush Sr was a war criminal. As you said, he was part of the CIA.

You don't have to try to convince me that Bush jr is mentally incompetent. Everytime he opened his mouth, he proved that, in spades.

Quote:
As I've said, he wasn't the only person, country, leader et al talking about the fall of dictators in the Middle east and/or a blueprint for the future of the region and to suggest so is, frankly, alarming.

I couldn't agree more! Bald faced lies always are alarming. Even more so when you see folks who appear to be intelligent spreading these lies around.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:02 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
You don't address facts.

That's ridiculous, Lash. I've presented copious facts, all of which you've ignored, completely. You, on the other hand, none, zero, nada, ziltch.

All we've heard from you are the same lies repeated by the neocons, the same war criminals who are responsible for the deaths of over a million and a half people. That's ONE AND A HALF MILLION, Lash.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:07 pm
@JTT,
I got tired of the parroted stuff that's repeated a million times. Talk about brain-washing the multitude, this is one piece of propaganda.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:10 pm
@Ceili,
What were they doing or saying recently to bring democracy to the Middle East?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:14 pm
@JTT,
Please direct me to one of your multitude of facts that is anything more than a swipe at the US.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:23 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Ya know, I get really tired of Americans who can't handle not being the centre of attention telling anyone else with an opinion contrary to the party line they have a chip on their shoulder.
I don't. I'll repeat it again so George sees it too.

It appears to me that the one with a chip on her shoulder and constantly seeking attention here is you Ceili. I don't recall anyone on this thread suggesting that the U.S. should or would intervene in Egypt. I believe I recall Msolga writing that perhaps someone should do something about the human suffering attendant to the uprising, but that's about it. I also recall some criticism from several sources about the U. S.'s military aid to Egypt along with suggestions that we should instead have somehow been doing something to encourage more freedom and democracy in Egypt instead. However these comments for the most part didn't come from Americans. Moreover those posters appear to forget that this aid was part of a brokered deal that brought a so far lasting peace between Israel and Egypt. We helped establish military parity between the neighboring countries, thereby giving them the confidence to end a several decades long pattern of war and hostility.

I find it ironic that many foreigners criticize us for our past failures to influence the internal governance of Egypt in one breath, and in the next fault us (as you have done) for our presumed arrogance in thinking we can direct the affairs of others.

By the way our last major intervention in Egyptian affairs was in 1956 when President Eisenhower told the invading British, French and Israelis to get out.

You have several times accused us of believing we invented democracy or of believing that we can control the world. However, I haven't observed any such assertions coming from the Americans on this or other threads. It appears to me that you are flailing around at your own imagined fantasies about this country. That may indeed be the way you interpret the actions of our country, but please don't be so ridiculous as to suggest that any American here has written such things.

Whether you (or we) like it or not the United States does have real treaty and strategic interests and obligations in the region, and it is only natural for Americans here to discuss and debate what might or should be our reaction to these events. I find the offense you take at that to be petty in the extreme. Given the passivity and inaction of the EU states in dealing with this crisis in their region (or earlier ones in Europe such as the massacres in Croatia and Bosnia) it is often necessary for us to do so (Bosnia was a good example).

It is true that many other dictatorships in the world have been overthrown without our assistance or involvement. However, I don't recall any American here suggesting otherwise. You are again raging against your own imaginings. At the same time we have indeed contributed positively to the defeat of truly dangerous regimes, most notably in the Cold War with respect to the former USSR. Our opposition wasn't the only thing that brougtht the USSR down, but it was an effective barrier to the spread of a truly evil system that caused great hardship and human suffering where it spread.

When you make statements such as
Ceili" wrote:
The US has as much pull right now in Egypt as Canada, or Poland or Timbuktu.
you merely make yourself look stupid and childish. The truth is we do have considerable "pull" in Egypt and Poland. I'll leave Canada to your judgement, except to note that we are, by a very large margin your largest customer for exported goods. Without your exports to the USA, Canada would have a very dangerous and unsustainable unfavorable balance of foreign trade. We do notice Canada tends to whine loudly and indignantly at the slightest U.S. defense of domestic industries, while it enjoys a hugely favorable balance of trade with us.

I don't see much criticism of Canada coming from the folks from the U.S. on these threads, but a lot of rather childish criticism such as yours coming at us from Canadians. I don't have an explanation for this odd tendency of yours, but it can be annoying.

Piss off.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:37 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

LOL. You are so consumed with USA hatred, I bet it burns you when you pee.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't see his posts anymore (they were a bit shrill, and monotonous - and sometimes a little crazy) however that was funny !!
JTT

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:38 pm
@Lash,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ3NAzlp2KM

The first minute sums it all up nicely, Lash; the plan, just days after B jr's inauguration was the removal of Saddam. So don't try feeding us these numerous lines of bullshit about democracy and freedom. You dont shock and awe people you are trying to save. You dont spread depleted uranium around when you are trying to help people, save people.

Now, if you would be so kind as to direct me to your facts.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:48 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I don't recall anyone on this thread suggesting that the U.S. should or would intervene in Egypt

Lie #1: The US has been intervening in Egypt for years.

Quote:
I also recall some criticism from several sources about the U. S.'s military aid to Egypt along with suggestions that we should instead have somehow been doing something to encourage more freedom and democracy in Egypt instead. However these comments for the most part didn't come from Americans. Moreover those posters appear to forget that this aid was part of a brokered deal that brought a so far lasting peace between Israel and Egypt. We helped establish military parity between the neighboring countries, thereby giving them the confidence to end a several decades long pattern of war and hostility.

Tell us something we dont know Gob. Why do you figure that Americans dont speak up about US war crimes, US terrorism, US mass murder, ....

The US bought another dictator in order to satisfy their own interests, sacrificing innocent people along the way. Whats new, eh.

Quote:
At the same time we have indeed contributed positively to the defeat of truly dangerous regimes, most notably in the Cold War with respect to the former USSR. Our opposition wasn't the only thing that brougtht the USSR down, but it was an effective barrier to the spread of a truly evil system that caused great hardship and human suffering where it spread.

The deaths of some 6 million innocents is your notion of a positive contribution. Youre deluded, Gob, seriously deluded. Or, more likely, youre just trying to give yourself cover for your own war crimes.

Quote:
I'll leave Canada to your judgement, except to note that we are, by a very large margin your largest customer for exported goods. Without your exports to the USA, Canada would have a very dangerous and unsustainable unfavorable balance of foreign trade. We do notice Canada tends to whine loudly and indignantly at the slightest U.S. defense of domestic industries, while it enjoys a hugely favorable balance of trade with us.

Veiled threats from a notable bully. Surprise, surprise.

JTT

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:50 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I don't see his posts anymore

Gob, bragging about his bravery.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 11:54 pm
@Lash,
U.S. Soldiers are Waking up "Please Share"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0AH4_FAgRU&feature=related
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 12:04 am
@Lash,
U.S. Marine Jon Turner tosses his medals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsnZ1BFchfE&feature=related

One of the comments:

++++++++++++
WHY THE F*CK IS THIS NOT COVERED IN THE MAJOR NEWS NETWORKS?! PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THIS SH*T!

GoldeneyePwner
++++++++++++

I suspect, Gob, that this was an American, one of the honest ones.
Ionus

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 12:19 am
@JTT,
How happy you must be.....a war and a protest.....just like Vietnam all over again. Congratulations ! Break out the celebrity pot and sink Goombaya!

I heard that someone asked the CIA if they start every war, including the Famous "Cave War I" and do you know what ? THEY DENIED IT ! There is all the proof anyone could ever want.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 04:01 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Certainly for those persuaded that the uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt represent a lasting part of the future trajectory, the behavior and intentions of the "new generation" of Islamic political leaders, of whom Erdogan is a prime example, is relevant.

For anyone who actually believes in such a "trajectory," i have some lovely "lake front" property . . .
Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 04:11 am
For all the people trading arguments about Iraq: long before Bush ran for President, long before anyone tried to sell an invasion to the American people, the Project for a New American Century was calling for an invasion of Iraq, and they wrote an open letter to President Clinton calling for it. It wasn't about democracy, it wasn't about cell phones and Twitter for the people--it was about protecting our petroleum interests and it was about setting up U.S. bases in the Middle East. The letter was signed by many PNAC members, including some of the founders of PNAC. Those founders include Rumsfeld, Perle, Cheney, Wolfowitz . . .

Anyone who buys the democracy for the middle east thing, anyone buying a bullshit story about modern technology for the Arab street, anyone buying the womd bullshit is seriously deluded. This was on the neo-con agneda before the subject of Bush running for the White House was even on the radar.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 05:23 am
@Setanta,
Auberon Waugh, in the early '80s, was calling for new crusades in the august columns of the Daily and Sunday Telegraphs which were owned by Conrad Black at that time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 06:58 am
Nicholas Kristof 's opinion piece for the NYT.

According to the Guardian's estimates, 5 people have been killed so far in the running battles, which are continuing & many injured.
Guardian live updates:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/feb/03/egypt-protests-live-updates#block-9

Journalists are being intimidated by the pro-Mubarak forces. According to a report tonight from Ben Knight, The ABC's journalist in Cairo, many journalists are now confined to their hotel rooms, for their own safety.

Tomorrow (Friday) more mass rallies are planned.:

Quote:
Watching Thugs With Razors and Clubs at Tahrir Sq.
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF/The New York Times
Published: February 2, 2011

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/02/03/opinion/03kristof_1/03kristof_1-articleLarge.jpg

Pro-government thugs at Tahrir Square used clubs, machetes, swords and straight razors on Wednesday to try to crush Egypt’s democracy movement, but, for me, the most memorable moment of a sickening day was one of inspiration: watching two women stand up to a mob.

I was on Tahrir Square, watching armed young men pour in to scream in support of President Hosni Mubarak and to battle the pro-democracy protesters. Everybody, me included, tried to give them a wide berth, and the bodies of the injured being carried away added to the tension. Then along came two middle-age sisters, Amal and Minna, walking toward the square to join the pro-democracy movement. They had their heads covered in the conservative Muslim style, and they looked timid and frail as thugs surrounded them, jostled them, shouted at them.

Yet side by side with the ugliest of humanity, you find the best. The two sisters stood their ground. They explained calmly to the mob why they favored democratic reform and listened patiently to the screams of the pro-Mubarak mob. When the women refused to be cowed, the men lost interest and began to move on — and the two women continued to walk to the center of Tahrir Square.

I approached the women and told them I was awed by their courage. I jotted down their names and asked why they had risked the mob’s wrath to come to Tahrir Square. “We need democracy in Egypt,” Amal told me, looking quite composed. “We just want what you have.”

But when I tried to interview them on video, thugs swarmed us again. I appeased the members of the mob by interviewing them (as one polished his razor), and the two sisters managed again to slip away and continue toward the center of Tahrir Square, also known as Liberation Square, to do their part for Egyptian democracy.

Thuggery and courage coexisted all day in Tahrir Square, just like that. The events were sometimes presented by the news media as “clashes” between rival factions, but that’s a bit misleading. This was an organized government crackdown, but it relied on armed hoodlums, not on police or army troops.

The pro-Mubarak forces arrived in busloads that mysteriously were waved past checkpoints. These forces emerged at the same time in both Alexandria and Cairo, and they seemed to have been briefed to carry the same kinds of signs and scream the same slogans. They singled out foreign journalists, especially camera crews, presumably because they didn’t want their brutality covered. A number of journalists were beaten up, although far and away it was Egyptians who suffered the most.

Until the arrival of these thugs, Tahrir Square had been remarkably peaceful, partly because pro-democracy volunteers checked I.D.’s and frisked everyone entering. One man, a suspected police infiltrator, was caught with a gun on Tuesday quite close to me, and I was impressed with the way volunteers disarmed him and dragged him to an army unit — all while forming a protective cordon around him to keep him from being harmed.

In contrast, the pro-Mubarak mobs were picking fights. At first, the army kept them away from the pro-democracy crowds, but then the pro-Mubarak thugs charged into the square and began attacking.

There is no reliable way of knowing right now how many have been killed and injured in Egypt’s turmoil. Before Wednesday’s violence, Navi Pillay, the United Nations high commissioner for human rights, said the death toll could be as many as 300, but she acknowledged that she was basing that on “unconfirmed” reports. There are some who are missing, including a senior Google official, Wael Ghonim, who supported the democracy activists. On Wednesday, the government said that three more had died and many hundreds were injured; I saw some people who were unmoving and looked severely injured at the least. These figures compare with perhaps more than 100 killed when Iran crushed its pro-democracy movement in 2009 and perhaps 400 to 800 killed in Beijing in 1989.

Chinese and Iranian leaders were widely condemned for those atrocities, so shouldn’t Mr. Mubarak merit the same broad condemnation? Come on, President Obama. You owe the democracy protesters being attacked here, and our own history and values, a much more forceful statement deploring this crackdown.

It should be increasingly evident that Mr. Mubarak is not the remedy for the instability in Egypt; he is its cause. The road to stability in Egypt requires Mr. Mubarak’s departure, immediately.

But for me, when I remember this sickening and bloody day, I’ll conjure not only the brutality that Mr. Mubarak seems to have sponsored but also the courage and grace of those Egyptians who risked their lives as they sought to reclaim their country. And incredibly, the democracy protesters held their ground all day at Tahrir Square despite this armed onslaught. Above all, I’ll be inspired by those two sisters standing up to Mr. Mubarak’s hoodlums. If they, armed only with their principles, can stand up to Mr. Mubarak’s thuggery, can’t we all do the same?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/opinion/03kristof.html?hp

Nicholas Kristof is posting from Cairo on his blog whenever he has Internet access. You can also follow his updates on Facebook and Twitter.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 07:17 am
From the BBC (including video report)

It appears (according to information in the video report) that the military are now "divided amongst themselves" ...
..and a prediction that Mubarak could be gone "as early as tomorrow"":

Quote:
3 February 2011 Last updated at 12:46 GMT
Egypt PM apologises for violence

The BBC's Jon Leyne: "The army is now willing to support the anti-Mubarak protesters"

Egypt's prime minister has apologised for the fighting between pro- and anti-government demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square, which killed five people and wounded several hundred.

Ahmed Shafiq pledged to investigate the violence, calling it a "fatal error".

The protesters are demanding that President Hosni Mubarak, who has ruled for 30 years, step down immediately.

After further pre-dawn violence, the army has been using its vehicles to separate the feuding factions.

One tank turned its turret towards pro-Mubarak demonstrators who were throwing stones at protesters from a road above Tahrir Square on Thursday afternoon, before advancing towards them along with footsoldiers to help clear the overpass. ...<cont>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12351831