Tunesia, Egyt and now Yemen: a domino effect in the Middle East?

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:11 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
But I'm wondering how the lessons of history (especially to the young people who have instigated this movement) are relevant to the people of Egypt who desperately want change now. I honestly don't know, but I'd suspect that changing the current circumstances which they are living with is foremost in the motivation of the protesters.

It's not about the "lessons of history" from the point of view of the demonstrators. As FM has pointed out, most of the population of Egypt has known no other president. The point i am making is about how intrenched in power the military is.
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:20 am
@Setanta,
And I'm in totally agreement with farmer.
As my post would have made perfectly clear, I would have thought?
And also from what I had posted before.

I wasn't clear about what, exactly, your point was.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:30 am
Well, i've emphasized my point in my last two posts, but i'll do it one more time. The military have been ensconsed in government, pervasively, for almost 60 years. What the demonstrators want is largely irrelevant. If they want Mubarak to go, the military might accede to that. But they are not going to give up the power they have. They're everywhere in government, and they intend to keep the hold on power they've had for as long as most of them, even the senior officers, have been alive.
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:40 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
What the demonstrators want is largely irrelevant.

It isn't irrelevant to the demonstrators.
They want 30 years of Mubarak's rule to cease.
That is what they're saying.
Whether you or I, or anyone else, agrees with what they're demanding or not.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 05:41 am
@Setanta,
There will be lots of shuffling around among the military to show how they are "on the side" of the explosive freedom movement.
I do agree that, in order for this to remain a "Velvet revolution" would be totally in the hands of the military.

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:01 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I do agree that, in order for this to remain a "Velvet revolution" would be totally in the hands of the military.

That's more or less my point. People either forget, nor never knew the details of events in recent history. When the Persian revolution began back in '79, the SAVAK (the Shah's secret police--Israeli trained) were able to keep a lid on it at first, with the military high command in the Shah's corner. It wasn't until air force cadets hit the streets to join the demonstrators that it broke wide open.

The military will throw the mob some bones. As long as their power structure (Hawkeye's quote referred to it as "corporate," an apt description) is intact, they'll happily sacrifice Mubarak. But if that's not good enough, if the mob tries to oust the military, it will no longer be a "bloodless" revolution (blood has already been spilled, but in terms of revolutions, it hasn't been that bad). To oust the military altogether would take the participation of young officers and private soldiers on the side of the mob.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:03 am
@msolga,
You suffer from this feel-good attitude. It apparently hasn't sunk in with you that what the mob wants is irrelevat--what the military will tolerate will determine the outcome. This is like your total and unthinking support for the Dalai Lama. You either don't or won't see the details of the realities involved.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:04 am
@Setanta,
What is your position on self determination, Setanta?

You consider the demonstrators a "mob"?

I don't.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:05 am
@msolga,
My position is that it is a wonderful thing, and that it is totally irrelevant in the face of an intrenched and ruthless military. Think, Algeria, Burma . . . if the military maintain a united front, no amount of popular sentiment can shift them.
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:11 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
it is totally irrelevant in the face of an intrenched and ruthless military.

You accept the existing situation as permanent & unchangeable..

I don't.

Certainly not in a situation like this, in which the outcome is by no means a fait accompli.

There is quite a way to go yet, before we can know for certain what the outcome will be.

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:27 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
You accept the existing situation as permanent & unchangeable.

That is completely false--you are blinded by what you want to see happen, without consideration for the realities. I don't "accept" the situation--i'm powerless to affect it. I don't see it as permanent and unchangeable. I do see that the military will remain in control of the situation unless and until there is a bloody revolution. Even then, a bloody revolution will not succeed unless and until the majority of members of the armed forces decide to defy their commanders and join the mob. The Persian revolution succeeded only when the air force cadets joined the people in the streets. Hell, the French revolution only succeeded because regiments mutinied, and couldn't be trusted to put down the revolt. In Algeria, the military toppled a popularly elected government, and they've kept a lid on it ever since. In Burma, the military quashed a popular democracy movement and has kept a lid on it ever since.

Even in the late 18th century, the French people had a chance--an outside chance--to successfully revolt even if the regiments had not mutinied. In today's world, no people can successfully defy a modern military which is even modestly well-equipped, if the men in the ranks continue to follow the orders of their commanders.

Don't tell me what i do or don't accept. Don't try to tell me what i do or don't think. I've been telling you (and everyone else here who is reading along) what i think for pages and pages--but it doesn't seem to sink in with you. I think that's because you cannot distinguish between what you think ought to happen and the reality of what is likely to happen.
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:41 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
That is completely false--you are blinded by what you want to see happen, without consideration for the realities. I don't "accept" the situation--i'm powerless to affect it.

But there are powers outside of Egypt which can have a big influence on the outcome. Let's see what they do .. or not .. over the coming days.

In any case, I want to take this opportunity to fully endorse the aspirations of the demonstrating Egyptians. To call them a "mob", as you have, is completely wrong & unfair. These people have totally legitimate claims & I salute their courage in taking on such a huge challenge.

We will obviously have to wait to see what eventuates, but whatever the outcome is, I sincerely hope there's considerable improvement in the lives of ordinary Egyptians.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:51 am
@msolga,
If its a mob, its one of the best organized and concerned mobs. Theyve set up a cordon around Dr HAwas's museums to protect their historical patromony. Im sure Dr Hawas , who is tight with the present regime, will go, but the people want their heritage protected from looting such as happened in Afghanistan and Iraq (and the army is having very little impact on this activity)

I suspect that the miloitary, like in Iran, will gradually be meld into the revolution and perhaps new leaders will arise from that, but pwerhaps not.
We will see, the fact that its gotten this far is still amazing to me. I think that Iran is watching because they had a couple of bum starts on their own re-revolution.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:54 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Yes, it has been a youth-instigated "revolution", farmer.
Though, as we have seen, many other Egyptians ( from all walks of society) have joined the protest movement since ...

I just don't know how much the history which has led Egyptians to this point in time is relevant to those young people, that's all. Some of them might not even know, or even care, who Nasser was.

I'm sure that Setanta is quite correct in asserting that the seeds of the current unrest go well beyond the 30 years of Mubarak's rule. Everything leads to the point we're at.

But I'm wondering how the lessons of history (especially to the young people who have instigated this movement) are relevant to the people of Egypt who desperately want change now. I honestly don't know, but I'd suspect that changing the current circumstances which they are living with is foremost in the motivation of the protesters.

Whether the historical roots of the political & economic situations in Egypt are in the minds of the youthful demonstrators you describe or not , they certainly are relevant to the organizations, institutions and, at a deeper level, the perceptions of Egyptians generally. I suspect that is a key element of Setanta's argument that you appear to be missing.

None of us knows for sure what is really happening beyond the media reportage of the demonstrations. In such circumstances it is useful to consider historical precedents for such events as a guide to elements of the dynamic that may be operating, but are as yet unseen.

Setanta and others have noted some elements of the Iranian revolution that proved to be very significant in the outcome, but which were not evident to many of the proponents of the Shah's overthrow, or to international observers of those events. Indeed the process from that revolution to todays unhappy political reality in Iran took more than a decade to unfold fully.

Other revolutions, ranging from the French Revolution of 1789 to the overthrow of the Russian Tsar in 1917 proceeded in multiple acts, with a succession of dominant political forces and actors (Lenin did not overthrow the Tsar: he overthrew a moderate social Democrat (Kerensky) who did that.) We cannot ignore the possibility that something similar might be shown to be operating in Egypt today. The stakes are certainly very high, and, as Setanta noted, it was the Egyptian Army that overthrew Farouq; expelled the residue of British control; aligned itself with the Soviets during the Cold War, and later threw them out as well; and started a political era that has now lasted for about sixty years. It is not likely to allow itself to simply exit the stage with Mubarak.

It is also true that we cannot simply ignore the possibility of a successful popular revolution such as you describe. Reality is usually a good deal more complex than the simplistic scenarios broadcast by an international media with its own axes to grind. None of us can be certain of the future of these unfolding events. However it is always useful to consider history and past precedent in trying to understand such events.

Perhaps you should also consider for a moment the history of your country's relations with its very populous neighbor in Indonesia in its now 65 year journey from Dutch Rule through Sukarno, Suharto and a nascent . democracy. That was a situation which Australia and other western countries could neither fully understand nor control - and only on occasions influence significantly. At times it appeared dangerous and hostile to Australia, and only recently has the prospect of a slow peaceful evolution to a democracy emerged. Throughout you had to deal with the situation as it really was - not as you wished it to be.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:55 am
@msolga,
Outside powers have not helped Algeria. Outside powers have not helped Burma. Outside powers have not helped Tibet.

Endorsing the aspirations of the Egyptians in the street won't stop the bleeding if the army fires on them. Calling them a mob (which is what they are) is not wrong or unfair, it is realistic.

Just because i think you're living in La-la Land doesn't mean that i oppose what the Egyptians are agitating for. The difference between you and i is our view of reality. Wanting it to happen, wishing and hoping, won't make it happen. If the military crack down, and the common foot soldier goes along with that, they're screwed.

There's an old country boy expression which covers this--i'll clean it up a little. You can wish in one hand, and spit in the other, and see which one fills up first.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 06:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I suspect that the miloitary, like in Iran, will gradually be meld into the revolution and perhaps new leaders will arise from that, but pwerhaps not.

If that happens, then they've got a shot at ousting the military from power. Otherwise, they're screwed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:01 am
According to CBC, pro-Mubarak demonstrators have marched on the square, and the two sides are throwing rocks at one another. The CBC correspondent in Cairo says there have been injuries on both sides.
msolga

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:06 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
We will see, the fact that its gotten this far is still amazing to me.

Me, too!
I am amazed & so full of admiration at the courage that these people have shown, against the odds.

And what are they demanding? Nothing much more than the right to live their lives free of crippling oppression ... and to have improvements in their living conditions ... some opportunities in life.
Not exactly radical demands. .
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:15 am
@msolga,
well, apparently its getting a bit uglier thi day. There still is a pro Mubarak segment who have private security forces who are being used to do a little counter-activities and head busting
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2011 07:17 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
According to CBC, pro-Mubarak demonstrators have marched on the square, and the two sides are throwing rocks at one another. The CBC correspondent in Cairo says there have been injuries on both sides.

From the Guardian Live update blog:
Quote:
12.59pm:
Ahdaf Soueif:

This is urgent news: the Mubarak thugs are now suddenly out in force. I say 'thugs' because their behaviour immediately is radically different from everything we have seen in the last week.

They are in microbuses and trucks and are keeping up a deafening wall of sound with their claxons. They are armed with sticks and various bits of weaponry and are waving them and shouting and honking their horns. They carry large well-made banners - replicas of the banners that are used in the rigged elections, proclaiming for Mubarak.

In Tahrir Square, the army has pulled its positions well back into the square instead of at the peripheries and have stopped guarding the entrances to the square. The army s no longer checking the IDs of those who enter the square nor are they checking them for weapons.

A few minutes ago the Mubarak "supportrs" started attacking our press area in the square where activists have been collecting photo and video evidence of people who have been tortured under the Mubarak regime. As I write this the activists are being attacked with stones and sticks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/feb/02/egypt-protests-live-updates
0 Replies