Tunesia, Egyt and now Yemen: a domino effect in the Middle East?

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:18 pm
@Irishk,
Thanks for that.

Probably necessary and possibly useful. However, e-mails are easy to send. It may not do much to motivate a desperate and very likely loonie despot.

I'll bet failures ART would approve.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:20 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

The silence is of the third observer, not the victim.

But that is a practical distinction you didn't make in your absurd abstract statement. You told me, when I asked, that such details are not relevant to the main issue.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ci you are as sharp as Cyclo, which is to say as sharp as a bowling ball.

If you spent a moment reigning yourself in from launching an attack against me, and read what I wrote, I feel confident that even you would have recognized my actual meaning.

I guess I'll have to remember to use the emoticons for you.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:25 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
The silence is of the third observer, not the victim. We are observing Libya--the whole world is. Do we say nothing? What does it mean if WE say nothing? Obviously, the Libyans are not silent
THAT is a massive step back, just a bit ago you where claiming that we had an imperative to DO something.

If America/Americans feels the need to run our mouths go for it, not that many people in the area of question care what we say or think. But we should stay out of their lives unless our help is requested.

Unlike you I am fairly consistent on my beliefs of right and wrong
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:34 pm
@georgeob1,
I would have been astounded and sorely disappointed if you had taken offense.

It might even have put me off A2K altogether, and so you may have cause to regret your bemusement.

In any case, at least you have discovered that you have a champion in ci, although I'm afraid that his failure to jump in after the original Endymion post is thus further evidence of his abscence of edges.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
Latest update from Reuters:

Quote:
Gaddafi's rule appears in jeopardy (00:56)
TRIPOLI | Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:14pm EST

TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi fought an increasingly bloody battle to hang on to power on Monday when protests against his 41-year rule struck the capital Tripoli after days of violence in the east.

Residents reported gunfire in parts of Tripoli and one political activist said warplanes had bombed the city. But state TV showed government supporters rallying and Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam Gaddafi said warplanes had hit only ammunition dumps.

Forces loyal to Gaddafi had killed dozens of people across the country, human rights groups and witnesses said, prompting widespread condemnation from world leaders.

No independent verification of the reports was available and communications with Libya from outside were difficult.

But a picture emerged of a leader who has loomed large on the world stage for decades and controls vast reserves of oil fighting for survival. Brent crude prices hit $108 a barrel on fears the violence could disrupt supplies from Libya.

"What we are witnessing today is unimaginable. Warplanes and helicopters are indiscriminately bombing one area after another. There are many, many dead," Adel Mohamed Saleh said in a live broadcast on al Jazeera television. "Anyone who moves, even if they are in their car, they will hit you."

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said it was "time to stop this unacceptable bloodshed" in Libya.

A group of army officers issued a statement urging fellow soldiers to "join the people" and help remove Gaddafi.

The justice minister resigned in protest at the "excessive use of violence" against protesters and diplomats at Libya's mission to the United Nations called on the Libyan army to help overthrow "the tyrant Muammar Gaddafi."

Both Libya and Venezuela denied reports that Gaddafi had fled to the South American country ruled by his friend and fellow revolutionary President Hugo Chavez.

A Libyan Foreign Ministry official told Al Arabiya television that Gaddafi would give a speech shortly.

Two Libyan fighter jets landed in Malta, their pilots defecting after they said they had been ordered to bomb protesters, Maltese government officials said.

An analyst for London-based consultancy Control Risks said the reported air strikes indicated the end was near for Gaddafi.

"These really seem to be last, desperate acts. If you're bombing your own capital, it's really hard to see how you can survive, " its Middle East analyst Julien Barnes-Dacey said.

The demonstrations spread to Tripoli, on the Mediterranean Sea, after several cities in the east, including Benghazi, appeared to fall to the opposition, according to residents.

Human Rights Watch said at least 233 people had been killed[/b] in five days of violence, but opposition groups put the figure much higher.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/21/us-libya-protests-idUSTRE71G0A620110221
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:39 pm
BBC: A brief image of Ghadaffi appeared on state tv minutes ago. Clearly file footage. Programming returned to a ballet performance.
Have there been any informative posts on this thread in the past few pages?
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 05:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
BBC: A brief image of Ghadaffi appeared on state tv minutes ago. Clearly file footage.

So where is he?
Is he still in the country or has he defected?
Is Saif Gaddifi now in charge of the Libyan government?
He is the one making the statements on behalf of the government now.
Interesting, (in the Reuters report above) that a possible defection to Venezuela was considered worthy of a denial by both countries.:

Quote:
Both Libya and Venezuela denied reports that Gaddafi had fled to the South American country ruled by his friend and fellow revolutionary President Hugo Chavez.

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:04 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Have there been any informative posts on this thread in the past few pages?

Whether there has or not is a much a function of the reader as of the poster.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:05 pm
@failures art,
@failures art,
You've argued yourself into a corner young Jedi.

There's nothing wrong with advocating a military response from the rest of the world to the situation in Libya, except that you have firmly planted a stake in the ground against neo-con policies of intervention. So now when you see events that horrify you, you have to dial back your initial reaction of "The Good Guys have to stop this!"

Let's be serious, at this point there is nothing the world can do, short of military intervention, to stop Khadaffy Duck. You know it, and if you're honest you'll admit that you weren't calling for really harsh words from Western leaders.

It's a bitch trying to reconcile ideological pretensions with what your gut tells you is right.

We should send our fighters into Libyan airspace and put an end to the madman's attempt to hold onto his power through violence from the air.

We should also be prepared to put our money and our might behind all of the reform movements in the region...and that especially includes the inevitable attempt of Islamists to hijack the movements.

Consistent intervention, or consistent isolation. All of this nuanced crap that DC politicians think they are capable of managing is just that...crap.

Your passionate anger is entirely valid but your need to project a certain political identity makes you easy pickens for cynics like me and George.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:06 pm
@spendius,
Very Happy
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
"We should also be prepared to put our money and our might behind all of the reform movements in the region...and that especially includes the inevitable attempt of Islamists to hijack the movements."

so, democracy, but you want to control the candidates.
Ionus

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:10 pm
@georgeob1,
Have you noticed how he is someone's little darling, though ? He says **** and piss and someone marks him up. However, I didn't think the ability to spell what is usually found written on toilet walls to be that much of an effort, so I marked him back down. One of the rare times I use thumbs....
Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:11 pm
@Ionus,
he says whilst smooching Spendi's pooper...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
This forum isn't a news feed.

It's nice that I can come to this thread and find a news bit I hadn't already seen, but that doesn't often happen.

If you want the thread to be your news source, that's fine but please back off the silly insistence of "breaking news" purity.

(Sorry JPB but this goes for you too. I truly appreciate your posts, but the thread doesn't belong to the linksters and cut and pasters)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:15 pm
@Rockhead,
No, I want equal consideration of all autocrats, regardless of whether or not they happen to be on Liberals' list of who is cool and who is not.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
god forbid there be any real content between bellowing partisan crapfests.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:17 pm
@spendius,
True enough, Spendi. I do get weary, though, of the pissing matches that break out here sometimes. There was a 49-word post that had little or no relevance to breaking events but instead used "I/me/my" 10 times. It seems to me that the posters could argue with each other via email.
I realize that will never happen as egos demand a clever riposte to the one before. It is easy enough to scroll past what readers deem as self-serving drivel.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:22 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

god forbid there be any real content between bellowing partisan crapfests.

So speaks someone who is fully devoted to crapfests.
Very Happy

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 06:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
You pompous little git!
Wink

I like you and your contributions, but what a smug, self-important comment.

From now on I don't ever expect to see a RJB post using "I"or "Me."