Tunesia, Egyt and now Yemen: a domino effect in the Middle East?

georgeob1

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2011 11:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It all started in the mid 1970s. The shootdowns occurred in the mid 1980s, about a year before we launched the strike on Lybia to get Gadaffi. I knew most of the guys on both missions.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:59 am
@georgeob1,
Last evening, over some fine asiago and ritz crackers accompanied by a bottle of Woodchuck, we discussed when I worked in Libya. QWe were courting Ghadaffi and the mid 70s when I was finishing my diss. I worked on Qanats from the south to Bengazi. They wanted to update these suckers for carrying water from the mountains. All I recall is eating some really vile Itralian food . I actually believe they made a kind of spaghetti with goat.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:02 am
Midday summary from the Guardian live blog.

3:00pm GMT: Here is a summary of key events so far:

Egypt: As David Cameron arrived for a hastily-arranged visit, democracy activists have been telling western diplomats they want continued outside pressure to ensure there is a swift transition from military to civilian following the removal of Hosni Mubarak. According to Egyptian state TV, prosecutors have asked for international help in freezing the Mubarak family's financial assets, believed to be extensive.

Morocco: Sunday's "day of dignity" protests in Morocco turned out to be both more numerous and more violent than it initially seemed, with some violence continuing on Monday in the city of Fes. At least five people died during demonstrations in more than 50 towns and cities. Organisers said the protests were hijacked by thugs in some towns, especially by football fans leaving matches. The interior ministry said 37,000 people had taken part.

Bahrain: Hundreds of protesters remained camped at Pearl roundabout, the centre of a campaign for sweeping reforms in the tiny Gulf monarchy. Their numbers swelled into the thousands over the course of Monday. One grouping, calling itself "Youth of 14 February", issued a manifesto demanding the overthrow of the ruling royal family. Also, just added that the Formula 1 Grand Prix has been canceled.

Yemen: A crowd reportedly in the tens of thousands rallied in the city of Taiz to demand the removal of the country's long-serving president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, while several hundred protesters are camping on a square near the centre of the capital, Sana'a. The president has offered to talk with opponents, a move dismissed by the political opposition as a meaningless sop.

Sudan: Officials from Omar Hassan al-Bashir's ruling party said the president, who took power in a coup in 1989, would not stand at the next election, due four years from now. Opposition groups said the decision was an attempt to try to head off a popular uprising against his rule.

Tunisia: The country's interim government appointed a veteran diplomat, Mouldi Kefi – who served under the ousted president, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali – as foreign minister. He replaces Ahmed Ounaies, removed after perceived verbal gaffes on a visit to France. The interim government has, meanwhile, asked Saudi Arabia for news of the exiled Ben Ali's health, not least "the possibility of his death".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:09 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Well you sent the Lockerbee bomber home to Lybia - you can send the rest too.

You forgot to mention that Bush Sr pardoned the terrorist responsible for blowing up a Cuban airliner. You also forgot to mention that the US harbors hundreds if not thousands of terrorists and you forgot to mention the biggee, that the US government is the biggest terrorist gang on the entire planet.

You certainly are a hypocrite of gigantic proportions, Gob, as you expectorate all your rheum across these pages.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:16 am
@georgeob1,
Old name dropper, Gob, vying with High Seas.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 11:31 am
@georgeob1,
There are many in the pubs who would dance in the streets if that was done George. Megrahi is also considered innocent by some of the victim's families.

He is the "convicted Lockerbie bomber". Also it was a Scottish Government decision.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 11:36 am
@Endymion,
Breaking news!!!??? It was in Sufi's speech last night. I reported on it. This thread is ahead of The Telegraph. Reading stuff in the newspapers is old-fashioned.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 11:39 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It all started in the mid 1970s. The shootdowns occurred in the mid 1980s, about a year before we launched the strike on Lybia to get Gadaffi. I knew most of the guys on both missions.

Pity about Suez though George when cold feet won out.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 12:45 pm
according to MBC Ghadaffi is no longer in the building. I'm guessing Pal Springs Ca.
JPB

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 12:48 pm
5:12pm GMT: Here's an evening summary:

• Muammar Gaddafi, the Libyan leader, "may have gone to Venezuela", British foreign secretary William Hague has said (see 4.43pm).

• Two Libyan fighter jets and two civilian helicopters have landed in Malta (see 4.41pm).

• There are reports of gunfire in Tripoli and of the navy bombing parts of the capital (see 5.07pm).

• The Bahrain grand prix has been cancelled because of anti-government protests there (see 4.42pm).

• Five people are dead after riots in Morocco (See 4.20pm).
spendius

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 01:24 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
The Bahrain grand prix has been cancelled because of anti-government protests there.

Why was a Grand Prix ever in Bahrain in the first place? Everybody involved knows what the diversion of scarce resources to such a development means in the real world. Unless they have it on Ignore.

The American boss of BP, Bob Dudley, refused twice tonight to answer the question about how did he feel about working with a regime that was shooting down unarmed Libyans in the streets of their own cities. All he would say was that "we are watching the situation very, very closely". Twice.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 02:18 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

according to MBC Ghadaffi is no longer in the building. I'm guessing Pal Springs Ca.

He's not one of our sons of bitches.
roger

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 02:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
So, maybe he's in Scotland.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 02:32 pm
cnnbrk CNN Breaking News
Situation in #Libya appears to worsen with reports that helicopters fired on protesters. CNN working to confirm. http://on.cnn.com/gwUC2a
15 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

cnnbrk CNN Breaking News
2 #Libya air force pilots defect to Malta after being asked to bomb Libyan citizens, Maltese gov't source says. http://on.cnn.com/emQH5v
Advocate

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 02:34 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Well you sent the Lockerbee bomber home to Lybia - you can send the rest too.

You forgot to mention that Bush Sr pardoned the terrorist responsible for blowing up a Cuban airliner. You also forgot to mention that the US harbors hundreds if not thousands of terrorists and you forgot to mention the biggee, that the US government is the biggest terrorist gang on the entire planet.

You certainly are a hypocrite of gigantic proportions, Gob, as you expectorate all your rheum across these pages.

Thanks for giving us the hard truth. Our invasions of Nam and Iraq, as well as the occupation of Afghanistan, were among the greatest acts of terrorism in history. Of course, there were many more such acts of terrorism by the good old USA.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:16 pm
Quote:
Having praised Al-Jazeera English for its coverage of the demonstrations in Egypt, some American liberals are now backpedaling. They are outraged that the channel they praised so much has covered up the sexual assault on CBS News reporter Lara Logan.

The network’s mantra is “The heart of the story. Every Angle. Every Side.” But that’s “less believable now” because of the failure of the channel to cover the attack on Logan, says Jonathan Capehart of The Washington Post, a leading liberal commentator. The silence of the network on this matter is “deafening,” he said.
Capehart didn’t believe Al-Jazeera’s explanation that it was simply respecting the CBS News reporter’s privacy and didn’t want the conduct of reporters covering the riots to be part of the overall story. “I’m at a loss for what would drive a news network to ignore news,” he said.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2011/ss_media0178_02_21.asp

so let me get this right....Al-Jazeera lays out the exact same explanation for not covering the story the CBS uses for not telling us the facts but rather only making a vague assertion that their employee was abused by Egyptians, but Al-Jazeera it is claimed in not journalistically credible in doing so but no one says a word about CBS's negligence?

Different strokes for different folks I suppose...typical liberal situation ethics..
failures art

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:23 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

cnnbrk CNN Breaking News
Situation in #Libya appears to worsen with reports that helicopters fired on protesters. CNN working to confirm. http://on.cnn.com/gwUC2a
15 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

cnnbrk CNN Breaking News
2 #Libya air force pilots defect to Malta after being asked to bomb Libyan citizens, Maltese gov't source says. http://on.cnn.com/emQH5v

This **** is getting out of hand. A FIRM global response needs to happen.

A
R
T
georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:38 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

This **** is getting out of hand. A FIRM global response needs to happen.

Who, in your view, should lead this "FIRM global response" ?

What do you have in mind ? Action by the African Union? Or perhaps the United Nations ? Or perhaps Lybia's former colonial masters in Italy?

Don't hold your breath.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
In the crush, she was separated from her crew. During the attack that followed, her clothes were ripped off, she was kicked and punched, her hair pulled out and she was sexually attacked.

She said she had escaped being raped because of the intervention of a group of women who threw themselves on top of her, protecting her from further harm
http://www.pretorianews.co.za/logan-tells-of-tahrir-square-assault-1.1029312

More likely she has a active fantasy life, as it would be highly unusual for Muslim men to rape. Groping is believable, but the more details that come out the more this sounds like her being female had nothing to do with it, she was attacked as several western reporters were, because it was thought that they had demeaned Egypt. The chant at the time was "Jew", it was not "woman". We have not heard of anything possibly sexual at all that happened to her except for pinching that included her breasts....the claim of "sexual assault" seems to be a VEERY long reach.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 03:41 pm
@georgeob1,
I think he was kidding.