If some body is sitting in the next room But

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:36 am
you can't see or hear him .... does he exist ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,696 • Replies: 37

Krumple

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 03:57 am
@permoda12345,
yes. But it is kind of silly to ask for proof because I can not even provide anything that would substantiate my own existence. The only explanation I can give is to ask, who is creating the person when they enter the room? Is it you who is creating them? Then the question becomes, why are you creating them then? Are you saying my brain or mind is doing things without my knowledge, creating things just because? I think if that were the case, very strange and unexplainable things would occur, but we don't ever see such things. What do I mean by that? Well for example a person who gets created with naturally blue hair. Why doesn't that happen? So there is some sort of hidden rules that your mind uses when creating things? Why those set of rules?

So you can see you get into this series of unsupportable conclusions. It would mean anything that was not within your field of experience did not exist then. Which is not the case. How can I prove it? Well I can't. The problem leaves open to too many other problems if it were the case.
permoda12345

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 10:16 am
@Krumple,
you mean we can create somebody with blue hair , but blue hair people are not created because they are not in our experience ?
and does that mean black people in Africa (as an example) are black because they don't have white or yellow human beings in their experience ?
And would black people "if they live in isolation" create black humans only because they don't see them ?
kennethamy

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 11:49 am
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

I am not even sitting in the next room, but far from you, and you don't even know where. But let me assure you, I exist. I think that you are confusing two things:

1. Do I exist.
2. Do you know I exist.

Whether or not you know I exist has nothing to do with whether (or not) I exist.
permoda12345

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:15 pm
@kennethamy,
But if I don't know you and I haven't seen you in my life !
so Do you exist ?
0 Replies

permoda12345

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:16 pm
@kennethamy,
"so" Do you exist ?
contrex

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:49 pm
But your title was "If some body is sitting in the next room But" and your question was "you can't see or hear him .... does he exist ? "

This splitting of a question between the title and the body of the post is annoying.

According to your own description of the situation, somebody* is sitting in the next room. So of course he bloody well exists. You just told us he does. You also told us the person's gender is male. (You asked "does he exist?")

*one word.
0 Replies

G H

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 12:54 pm
@permoda12345,
Quote:
If some body is sitting in the next room But you can't see or hear him .... does he exist ?

It boils down to this: "If somebody is sitting in the next room, he would then exist (is). He cannot be perceived from HERE. Therefore he might or might not exist (does he exist?)." The concluding doubt is unwarranted, it doesn't follow because the existence of "somebody" was posited as a given from the start, regardless of whether or not there is manifested evidence (perception) of him. "If" is clearly expressing a selection in the positive direction, not a neutral "Maybe some body is sitting in the next room....".
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 01:15 pm
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

Are you saying he needs a bath?
permoda12345

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 01:32 pm
@wayne,
No !! I didn't say that ..... read between the lines .
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 01:35 pm
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

"so" Do you exist ?

I assure you I do. It doesn't matter whether or not you know I exist. There are a lot of people in Tokyo whom you do not know exist. But they do. Knowing is one thing. What there is to know, whether or not you know it, is another thing. What there is is not circumscribed by what you know. If it were, then what exists would depend on whether you were three or thirty-three., since you know more at thirty-three than at three. But what exists is substantially the same whatever age you happen to be. Therefore, what exists is not the same as what you know exists.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 01:37 pm
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

Only if you fart, and he can hear you.
permoda12345

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 01:42 pm
@chai2,
there are two endless creatures in the world : universe and humans stupidity .
chai2

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 02:05 pm
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

there are two endless creatures in the world : universe and humans stupidity .

sorry no, there are not endless creatures in the world. The numbers are finite.

Your OP is one that has been stated many many times. Trees falling in the woods, one hand clapping, yada yada yada.

Is this supposed to be deep or something? Have you heard the one about the 3 holes in the ground? well, well, well.

At least we definately know when someone farts.
permoda12345

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 01:25 pm
@chai2,
Life with such people is meaningless , because they are empty and have nothing to do , just live to eat without thinking , and I don't blame you , because it's your parents responsibility , Just filling the world with nothingness .
Philosophers don't deal with little people .
contrex

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 01:42 pm
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

What a complete dick you are, permoda12345. My arse knows more philosophy than you do.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 01:56 pm
@permoda12345,
permoda12345 wrote:

Life with such people is meaningless , because they are empty and have nothing to do , just live to eat without thinking , and I don't blame you , because it's your parents responsibility , Just filling the world with nothingness .

oh gag me.

Like you have the keys to wisdom.

Seriously, are we supposed to be filled with wonderment at the tired old "if a tree falls in the forest" deal?

If someone is in another room, do they exist?

Can't you come up with anything else that hasn't been chewed over for centuries?

Is asking this question supposed to make you a philosopher?

Laughing

I say.
permoda12345

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 02:20 pm
@chai2,
I'm sorry to tell you that you're ignorant , you have to accept this without getting upset . It's the truth !!!
I know that truth is blinding people , that's why they can't see in the darkness , they believe that darkness is black .While inside their bodies are dark .
Have fun with darkness .
And hay , why the fall of the tree is so important to you ?
Do you have a tree in your back yard garden ?
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 02:53 pm
What do you mean by 'exist'? Surely by you asking the question of someone/something existing you already have knowledge beforehand of said 'thing/person', are you looking for proof? If you go into the 'realm' of proof you'll notice that you can't even prove you exist, not even to your 'self'! Again, what do we come to mean when we use the term 'exist'....?
contrex

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 04:41 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

What do you mean by 'exist'? Surely by you asking the question of someone/something existing you already have knowledge beforehand of said 'thing/person'

Thank you for repeating my question. I am glad to see I am not the only person asking this. Permoda is a narcissistic immature attention seeking troll.
0 Replies