Dealer selling a vehicle with very large tires and no odometer calibration.

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:45 pm
I am looking at buying a truck from a used car dealership in Sarasota, Fl. The truck has a suspension lift and very large off road tires on it. I noticed that there is not a odometer calibration chip installed in the vehicle and so the speedometer and odometer are showing less then what they should. Is there a law against this? Thanks for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,298 • Replies: 11
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 05:56 pm
@Brad1405,
Divide the asking price by two and use that as your starting offer...
Brad1405

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2011 06:08 pm
@gungasnake,
The price is $4000 and he didn't want to come off that price. I never brought up that there was no odometer calibrater installed since I wanted to check the laws on it first.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 08:45 am
@Brad1405,
FWIW, I believe that when you install such grossly oversized tires, by the physical nature of that act (increasing tire circumference), you render the odometer inaccurate. I'm 99.9% sure of this.

For what it's worth, here's the link to the info (odometer fraud) which you're seeking on the website for FLA State DMV:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/80008.pdf

The dealership or used car dealer has to certify the mileage and odometer reading. I've recently moved here and as a resident of Sarasota, I've been informed there are a higher percentage of shady used car dealers in FL. Buyer beware.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 09:36 am
@Ragman,
the speedo can be calibrated.

when you do that, the odometer becomes correct.

most folks that lift trucks are kinda clueless, so a lot of them are just left inaccurate.

My guess is that the dealer has something stating that he bought it that way, and the that odometer reading is inaccurate. as part of the contract.

the actual miles on that truck will be the least of your worries...

good luck.

(I have zero Florida experience)
Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:51 am
@Rockhead,
..but if the speedo WAS NOT calibrated during the time those oversized tires were on the car, it reflects wrong mileage? If that's the case, the dealer has to declare that odometer reading cannot be accurate or if it was broken.

I hope I'm not muddying this issue...(no pun intended).

Wouldn't you ageee with this assertion? I think you're indicating that the mileage may be the lesser worry as vehicles of this sort may have more issues - like tranny, cooling and/or engine probs as they're recreational/offroad vehicles that may've been ridden HARD/abused?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:54 am
@Ragman,
"My guess is that the dealer has something stating that he bought it that way, and the that odometer reading is inaccurate. as part of the contract."

^^^^^^^^

he's only asking $4k for the truck.

it is not going to be that nice of a ride...
Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:58 am
@Rockhead,
Agreed.

As an example, book value on my 1998 Honda CR-V with 125k miles on it is around $4k.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 10:59 am
@Ragman,
the tires and wheels are worth a grand.

the lift kit was another thousand.

what's left after dealer profit?
Brad1405

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 01:14 pm
@Rockhead,
I actually found it on craigslist. Somethings just not right with it though. I looked at it in person and was amazed how nice it is. Here's the link. http://sarasota.craigslist.org/ctd/2164062849.html
0 Replies

Brad1405

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 01:52 pm
@Rockhead,
I know the tires are worth atleast $350 each, the wheels are another $150 each and that 10" suspension lift is about $2500-3500.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2011 04:13 pm
@Brad1405,
something smells rotten in Denmark...
0 Replies