Are "On-Demand" water heaters a good Idea?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
BTU to BTU basis, Ive been saving fuel
Well, fuel oil has been outrageously priced for awhile now. I have been mystified as to why we dont see a wholesale conversion to natural gas in the east. Also, we get most of our natual gas from the usa or canada, with it there is no need to worry about who controls the Suez Canal or how much fuel China uses.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
True dat. Most of the LPG projects that were going to import gas to new combined cycle power plants, have also been cancelled. With all the gas that will be brought on line (as soon as they build pipelines) from New England to Louisiana and Texas , we could really be energy independent (If that was a real idea, which it aint)
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 05:36 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Most of the LPG projects that were going to import gas to new combined cycle power plants,
The economics combined with the liability problems for Liquified gas has also make it unlikely that our abundance of gas will be subject to the whims of global demand and it is also somewhat sheltered from the costs of dealing with the speculators. Playing the what if game of not spending a dime on corn ethanol but instead investing the same amount in natural gas production/delivery/conversion is highly upsetting....We did a supreme job of ******* that up.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Playing the what if game of not spending a dime on corn ethanol but instead investing the same amount in natural gas production/delivery/conversion is highly upsetting....We did a supreme job of ******* that up.
I fell off the truck here. What are you getting at? I think you are getting passion in the way of communication. Try me again .

My point on "energy independence" is that its meaningless. We should never try to be energy independent since the product is a world commodity. All we can do is get enopugh in the pipes to serve all needs. Its actually cheaper and of better benefit to seel gas to france and let California get it from its own Kern County fields.

I have no ideas whether you are serious about corn ethanol. To me thats a useless waste of time to make a product that is actually inimical to engine performance.(Its sort of a modern version of tetraethyl lead)
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:33 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I fell off the truck here. What are you getting at? I think you are getting passion in the way of communication. Try me again

We are spending about 6 billion a year to support ethanol with tax credits, and it turns out to not only be not good for the environment but it also uses the corn that could have fed 200+ million people per year thus raising our food prices ala supply and demand theory. Lets say the ethanol program cost America $8 billion per year between the two....what would have happened if we had instead spent that same $8 billion PER YEAR! on natural gas production/distribution/conversion??

WOW!
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
OK, Im back on board. I sorta thought youd mean that, but it didnt come out that way in my mind. You do what I do sometimes, I respond with too many clauses and negative to positive phrases. Im trying to be all simple declarative because I cant spell for ****.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 01:06 am
Quote:
A drop in wholesale natural gas costs means nearly 2 million natural gas customers in the state will see lower heating bills this winter, according to gas rates just approved by the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission.

The rate relief, ranging from 4.3 percent to 7.7 percent for customers of the state's four investor-owned natural gas companies, goes into effect on Nov. 1.

Puget Sound Energy's average residential customer in Western Washington using 68 therms per month will see a 7.1 percent reduction in their utility bill, or about $5.82 per month.

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2012/10/26/2298865/natural-gas-customers-soon-to.html#storylink=cpy

me putting in a tankless water heater is looking dumber and dumber all the time.
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 07:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
a drop in nat gas and propane has also resulted in drop in prices for gas systems because theyre pushing the gases from fossil rervoirs as "fuesl of the future". Is saw several ads in the Farming newspapers (farmers tend to be the technology vanguards ) where the Rinnai dealers in PA and MD are "beefing up" deals to have these units installed in milk houses and residences.
Save on the unit
Save on the fuel

Ive dropped my heating gas bill by about 25% ince Ive installed a "wet gas " hot water baseboard system. I was already saving from 15 to 20% on my hot water because I installed 2Rinnai units, one in the main bathrooms/ laundry core of the house and the other in the kitchen and guest bedroom core (separated by 2 floors but located almost atop each other for both cores)
0 Replies