can tenant sublease an apartment and ask for more money than the lease states he pays for rent. Also

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:12 pm
can he ask for a deposit since he has previoulsy purchased a suriety bond to cover 500 dollars in damanges. This lease was advertised that he was moving and that the lease contract he has runs thru the next July, whick is 13 months and one week away from his advertisment. This property does not offer 13 month leases. A week later he advertises that the lease now runs thru next June which would mean he would have just signed the lease, which is no way, because as he said he is locked into the the low price since they have not increased rent. Rent would have already been increased due to the date he ran ad and not to forget, its still in effect for one more year. 6 days later, new ad, this time, he wants 25 more than the original rent price plus a 300 deposit, although he has already purchased a suriety bond to cover 500 in damages. This ad also states that rent is due on the 1st of every month, unlike the normal lease which gives 3 days grace. he is asking for 50.00 for the first day late. Now, he has a great couch, and loveseat for only 500.00 and he needs to move this weekend. This time, he gives the phone number from first add, plus the diffirent phone number from 2nd ad . both are included on the last ad. My assumption this person and the apt manager are out to pocket major money. Any opions on this load of crap.

DrDick

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:50 am
@readtosue,
Most likely there are no restrictions on what a tenant can sublease for, it really depends on the specific language in the contract the tenant must abide by. Given all of the changes and/or inconsistencies you have listed, why would you care, why would you simply not run as far away from any financial dealings with these people? Are you trapped or have you somehow invested money, etc?
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 06:56 am
Sub-leasers can ask for anything they want. There are always more complications in the contract.

They are first in line to the owner and must cover their butt in case this 2nd party poops out.

Take it or leave it. But I'd have several eyes look at the contract.
0 Replies

readtosue

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:04 pm
@DrDick,
I care because Im taking this landlord and the property management co to court to sue them for every violation that a office manager could possibly commit and yes, she shows 200.00 less than the deposit I actually paid for and does not mention the 400.00 dog deposit. Also, during the course of my nightmare of living there, she tried to collect 100.00 from me, because they had to replace flooriing after I moved in as it was too nasty to walk on. She said the dining room would have lanoleum (sorry, no idea how to spell that) and I wanted it to match the kitchen, i would have to give her 100.00 dollars. This is why I care.
tchelle

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 09:50 pm
@readtosue,
check the property law in your state as some states do not even allow subleting of any sort and in most states the renter has more legal rights than does the property owner.
If you are going to sue be sure to use a lawyer whome specializes in property or rental law as they are totally different feilds than normal law in most states
0 Replies

DrDick

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 10:53 am
@readtosue,
Okay, so there is money you feel they owe you. If you had to estimate, how much? Is it worth taking them to court?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:33 am
@readtosue,
readtosue wrote:

can he ask for a deposit since he has previoulsy purchased a suriety bond to cover 500 dollars in damanges.

yes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:34 am
@readtosue,
readtosue wrote:
This ad also states that rent is due on the 1st of every month, unlike the normal lease which gives 3 days grace.

he is responsible for it by the 3rd day. you need to pay on the first day, so he has 2 days to deal with the fall-out if the renter does not pay on time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 11:35 am
@readtosue,
readtosue wrote:
This time, he gives the phone number from first add, plus the diffirent phone number from 2nd ad . both are included on the last ad.

nothing unusual with more numbers being provided - esp. if someone is eager to get a renter into a space - makes it easier for the person to be reached
Krocker360

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 06:40 am
@ehBeth,
It's possible but I think you need to have a good reason doing that.
0 Replies