Lyonel Feininger oil painting print

xjduke

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 11:14 pm
I found a print recently underneath another oil painting in a frame. My question is, The painting looks like a Lyonel Feininger print, has a Feininger signiture in the upper right corner. The painting is of two sailboats i think, but doesnt look as detailed or complete like his other boat works. There is also a F©H with 1958 in the lower right corner. The print has writing across the bottom, says Lyonel Feininger 1871-1956 Segelpyramide, and Copywrite by Franz Hanfstaegl Munchen Printed in Germany. There is also a raised stamp I cannot read.

I tried searching for Segelpyramide, and through all of Feininger's work, but I cannot seem to find this painting or print. Anyone know anything about this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,774 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:15 pm
@xjduke,
I love Feiningers work and as a colorist and cubist he was as well known as Duchamp. However, framed prints of his oils are probably not worth a lot. Can you see the tiny patterns of dots that make up the print body?
xjduke

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:59 pm
@farmerman,
tiny patterns? The print seems to be such good quality that it looks almost like the original. And I figured out which piece it is. Its from 1930, and the english translation is Sailing Pyramid.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.iicbelgrado.esteri.it/IIC_Stoccarda/webform/SchedaEventoAltrove.aspx%3Fid%3D1505%26citta%3DStoccarda&ei=NwM3TaXeBYXQgAfs2fiJBA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=10&sqi=2&ved=0CG0Q7gEwCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSegelpyramide%2BFeininger%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D843%26bih%3D435%26prmd%3Divns
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:37 am
@xjduke,
Its possibly a giclee then. These are a sort of inkjet sprayed print that has inks that are not archival (they only will last about 15 years or so before fading).

A print that is a giclee or any type that doesnt really involve the artist in its process, is , what one of our more experienced guys calls a "Poster", and , as such aint worth much.
Hang it up because you like it, not because its value is gonna save the farm.
xjduke

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 08:55 am
@farmerman,
i should post some pics of my print on here somehow, not sure about the giclee thing. Figured out that it was printed in germany in 1958 I beleive
ewor

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 07:20 am
@xjduke,
Please do post a photo of it. I just found Feininger, I believe it to be a print too. It is on a very heavy paper that appears to be old. Not anything like any newer prints that I have seen. It is not numbered and has been cut down. I have looked through hundreds, if not thousands, of his works and have yet to see this one. I am very curious about it. It is an ink watercolor city scape of sorts. buildings in yellows with turquoise blues. Any info you might have would be appreciated.
0 Replies