Steve Irwin

cavfancier

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:36 pm
True enough, D'artagnan, and the last refuge of the damned.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:38 pm
Sorry, I don't find him remotely attractive, either Shocked .... Can't stand these boyo Aussie heroes! <shudder>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 04:39 pm
eoe wrote:
No, he just tried to defend putting his child in danger, and so did his wife.

I think I read that he was thinking of doing it all again! Shocked
0 Replies

user

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 05:27 am
msolga wrote:
Sorry, I don't find him remotely attractive, either Shocked .... Can't stand these boyo Aussie heroes! <shudder>

Could you explain the meaning of the adjective "boyo" to me please?
Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 05:39 am
dlowan wrote:
Hyperbolic! That is the understatement of the day - he's like a hypermanic on cocaine!

Harmless enough, I guess, though...

Not if he's your father apparently!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 05:40 am
D'artagnan wrote:
That other fella from Oz (bearded guy) is almost as bad. He wanders around the hinterlands, poking snakes and disturbing large reptiles. Another showman who we're meant to take seriously as a scientist.

Harry Butler?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:06 am
eoe wrote:
No, he just tried to defend putting his child in danger, and so did his wife.

I thought his wife died in a car wreck?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:35 am
She hadn't been in a car wreck as of yesterday? Hope you're not prescient!

I used to like watching Steve Irwin, even though he was too jumped-up for me, I thought he provided good information and had a sympathetic attachment to the animals... was very respectful of them.

Unfortunately, he didn't seem to be so respectful of his own child. I understand he was raised by parents who were equally interested in animals... maybe his father treated him the same? Not an excuse but a possible explanation for why he continues to defend his stupid behavior.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:51 am
ON comcast they had a news article that mentioned her death earlier in a car wreck - I'll have to see if I can find it again.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 01:58 pm
She's definitely not dead.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:32 pm
I hope she stays that way, those kids need her.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 05:36 pm
Not if she continues to defend Daddy when he puts their lives in danger.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 11:13 pm
Apparently that baby is a month old. Even I know a child that age should have their head and neck supported at all times. Not tossed around like a sack of potatoes like he was doing. I should know, that's about the age of my niece.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 12:02 am
user wrote:
msolga wrote:

Could you explain the meaning of the adjective "boyo" to me please?
Thanks in advance.

Hi user & welcome! Very Happy

I can give you a loose translation of boyo, though somebody else here might be more accurate. I think the term is of Irish derivation, meaning blokey, a sort of macho, boys only thing .... You know, boys' stuff!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:57 am
That other guy, the one with the beard, is the worst. He deliberately provokes the animals. Deliberately makes things dangerous. I saw a promo for one of his shows in which he was wrestling with an anaconda in the water. Tres dramatic and tres stupid.

I thought that Steve Irwin had said that he was sorry, that he had used bad judgment. Now he's saying he'd do it again???!!! Will child welfare let him keep his kids? Of course he also said that he was in complete control of the situation. Nobody is in complete control of a crododile.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 10:29 am
That's the arrogance of man, thinking that they/we're in complete control of wild animals.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 10:38 am
Well, what he said was that he was in complete control of the situation... not the animal. I don't think that we can say with our arm-chair authority that the children should be taken away.

I agree with you, Roberta... I don't know that Crocodile guy's name, but I don't enjoy watching him at all. He concentrates on the blood-thirsty-ness of it all, not the biology.

Irwin is being supported by a new editorial in the Melbourne Herald-Sun:

Quote:
Steve Irwin deserves a medal

08jan04

CROCODILE hunter Steve Irwin deserved a medal for promoting Australia's interests overseas and the media should stop demonising him, NSW Premier Bob Carr said yesterday.

Mr Irwin, a star in America, sparked international outrage last week when footage was released of him feeding a 4m crocodile while holding his month-old son Bob. Mr Carr said Mr Irwin made a mistake but it was time for the media to stop pursuing him.

And here's Steve Irwin's interview...
Quote:
"Yeah, well, you know it (the crocodile) was a lot more than a metre away and the crocodile was fully extended on his back legs going up," Irwin said.

"You know they're not like a lion, they can't actually leap forward." (who knew??)

Irwin said he had a tape from the Australia Zoo camera that would show the act was not as dangerous as the public believed.

". . . which will give you another angle so all that ugly stacked-up vision of me looking like I endangered my child will be put to bed very quickly."

Irwin said his mother, who had also handled crocodiles, was not killed by one of the reptiles but had died in a car crash.
________

So Husker, that's the Mrs. Irwin who died in a car crash.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:01 pm
Now, see, Australian friends, Steve Irwin is promoting your interests overseas!

Of course, it could be worse for a country. We Americans have George Bush promoting ours...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 06:21 pm
Heehee. Ms.Olga doesn't like those boyos, though. How exactly does Irwin promote Australia? As a tourist spot, maybe? Anybody rushing to OZ after watching his shows? Not me... he makes it look way too dangerous.

I noticed as I reread that article I quoted that it didn't say Steve Irwin is already Man of the Year for NSW and is in contention for Man of the Year for Australia. That was before this gaffe. I think the NSW Premier is still hopeful, poor boyo.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 06:42 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Now, see, Australian friends, Steve Irwin is promoting your interests overseas!

Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarrassed
0 Replies