I Do Not Like The Cone of Shame

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 08:42 pm
So, we got a chance to see Up, which is a recent (2009) animated film starring Ed Asner as a guy who goes to South America in his house, which is flown by attaching a bunch of helium balloons to it (don't ask).

Anyway -- we loved it and I was wondering -- what other great recent animated films have you seen?

Do tell.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 3,854 • Replies: 24

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 05:57 am
I have not seen any of the recent cartoon films.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:01 am
We got the DVD for Corpse Bride about a week and a half ago, and i watched it yesterday. I know it's kinda dated, and i didn't see it in a theater, but i greatly enjoyed it. I thought it was cleverly done. The character Victoria, though, was insipid. He should have stuck with Emily, i thought she had much more character, and was better looking--rotting flesh and all.
djjd62

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:14 am
@Setanta,
i liked Corpse Bride too, haven't seen Up or Toy Story 3 yet, but will eventually

recently i really enjoyed Coraline and Mirrormask*, of course the fact that they are both from stories written by the Neil Gaiman didn't hurt either

* the film is a production of the Jim Henson Workshop, so not technically animation
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:09 am
How to Train Your Dragon was really good.
engineer

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:28 am
@Green Witch,
Agreed, How to Train Your Dragon was excellent. TS3 was very good, but I was not as enamored of it as the reviewers, some of which are pushing for a best picture Oscar. I thought it was the weakest of a very strong triology. My brother and children loved Megamind, but I'm waiting for the DVD.

Edit: The negative review of TS3 that prevented the entire series from getting perfect marks came from a NY Press reviewer known for his contrarian views. I read somewhere that there is a movement to get him kicked off of Rotten Tomatos because of bad reviews.
boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:29 am
@jespah,
Recent: Toy Story 3, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Despicable Me, and Megamind were all really good.

I haven't seen Tangled yet but it's supposed to be excellent.

The Incredibles is one of my very favorite animated movies, but it's a bit older.
Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:30 am
@boomerang,
The Incredibles remains one of my favorites.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:31 am
@boomerang,
forgot about The Incredibles, great film

keep meaning to check out The Fantastic Mr. Fox, thanks for the reminder
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:35 am
@boomerang,
Forgot Tangled! Tangled is excellent as well. Good to see traditional Disney throw a strike.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:40 am
Oh I love The Incredibles. I think RP hasn't seen it. These are great! Thanks ....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:41 am
@engineer,
I fell asleep over "How to Train yer Dragon". I also did NOT like AVATAR , and, while Im sharing, I thought I could have improved Despicable Me a bit(it bwas good, but it coulda been better with some more systemic cussing and adult focus).
UP was great
SAo were a couple of those Pleistocene movies where Ray Romano plays a Mammoth.

All in all though, UP beat em all by a mile.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:34 pm
@jespah,
Animation is absolutely my favorite genre of film.

Jespah, the first 10 minutes of Up is such a tearjerker. Especially if one lost someone one loved recently. The Dug, the dog needs his own movie or television series so he can get the proper love he deserves. He stole the entire movie.

My favorite film this year is a Japanese import, Summer Wars (2009)
A social network named Oz is the global gateway to every government service in the world as well as every single digitally minded/connected person on the planet. A true digital utopia as well as the seemingly natural evolution to Facebook.

A single military level virus/superAI is sent onto to attack the system in its beta test.

We follow a Kenji, teenage math genius, who unintentionally plays a part in the AI's conquest of Oz as he is drafted by a friend, Natsuki, in order to convince the friend's family that Kenji is her fiance in order to appease Natsuki's 90 year old great grandmother.

These two storylines collide and its a great visual frenzy. Great tale of how a tight extended family helps each other at the worst of times.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1474276/

My Dog Tulip (2009) is a great and simple story of an old man and his surly and spirited German Shepard. Based on the memoir of the famous English writer, J.R. Ackerley. The classical 2D animation is wonderfully stylized. Similar to Bill Plympton's chaotic painterly style of animation.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0843358/

Mary and Max (2009) is a charming claymation film from Australia. A very lonely and young Australian girl randomly picks a name out of a US phone book and starts a pen pal relationship with him. This cross the globe friendship helps each other deal with their loneliness and depression.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0978762/

The Illusionist (2010) is a charming and heartbreaking French film about a struggling stage magician trying to irk a living moving from city to city to give his performance. At his last performance in Scotland, a teenage girl runaways from home and starts following the magician like a lonely lost puppy who has bonded with a complete stranger. This film was created by Sylvain Chomet, the master director of Triplets of Belleville.

Keep in mind there is very little dialogue and there is no subtitles, though there isn't a need for them because the story is quite easy to follow.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775489/

The Secret of Kells (2009) is a great highly stylized Irish film that depicts a Medieval Irish village constantly under the threat of barbarian raids. Young Brendan is an apprentice manuscript artist aka an illuminator. He becomes fascinating with the idea of helping an iconic illuminator with finishing his greatest masterpiece.

In a midst the the barbarian threat, Brendan finds a friend in a forest fairy named Aisling. Very beautiful ~ story wise and visually.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485601/

An animated film for the Philosophy Forumheads:
The Australian claymation flick $9.99 (2008). This animation work for adults has it's characters determine the meaning of life.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790799/

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:57 pm
@farmerman,
I liked Ice Age, but the sequel was lame.
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:58 pm
@Setanta,
LAME? LAME?
Why you.
Here , pull my finger.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:06 pm
Whew-eeeee . . .

You better go change yer drawers . . .
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 06:04 am
@tsarstepan,
Oh Steve, I knew you would know.

We loved the dogs in Up. The animators clearly observed dogs -- lots and lots and lots of them. The mannerisms are letter-perfect.
dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 06:07 am
@jespah,
Waltz with Bashir

Oh...and I SO agree about Mary and Max.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 10:34 am
@jespah,
As a dog lover, you would enjoy the Wallace and Gromit movies. Have you seen Wallace and Gromit, jespah?
djjd62

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 10:50 am
@wandeljw,
good call, start with the 1/2 hour tv shows, i liked the full movie, but not as much as the shorter productions, especially The Wrong Trousers & A Close Shave

30-Minute Films

A Grand Day Out (1989)
The Wrong Trousers (1993)
A Close Shave (1995)
A Matter of Loaf and Death (2008)

Feature-Length Film
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)

the animator also made Chicken Run and a series of shorts called Creature Comforts (get the British episodes if possible)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_Comforts
0 Replies