What Words Do You Use that "Date" You?

plainoldme

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
There was no workable typewriter until the 19th C. I worked as a tour guide at the Henry Ford Museum while in college and the typewriter was something I spoke about regularly.

As for the rest of your post, it is pure bosh. In addition to needing a map, you need a calendar.

Your language here makes obvious your hatred of women.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:23 am
One of our household's cats loves to be groomed. When she sees me with the brush, she runs into the kitchen and jumps up onto a stool that the cats have claimed as their own. I have come to call the stool the "beauty parlor," the out-of-date word for hair dresser because it fits grooming time with this tiny girl.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 09:58 am
@plainoldme,
I still call the hair salon a "beauty parlor". Anything else sounds wrong to me! Embarrassed
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:01 am
@plainoldme,
Speaking of parlor, try that word out on anyone under 40.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:17 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
There was no workable typewriter until the 19th C. I worked as a tour guide at the Henry Ford Museum while in college and the typewriter was something I spoke about regularly.
but did u know what u were talking about ?? Probably not.

plainoldme wrote:
As for the rest of your post, it is pure bosh. In addition to needing a map,?? you need a calendar.
baloney

plainoldme wrote:
Your language here makes obvious your hatred of women.
More nonsense; I was just negating your falsehood

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:19 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Speaking of parlor, try that word out on anyone under 40.
That 's right. Houses had parlors in them.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:36 am
@Ragman,
That is true. I was thinking of a house some friends formerly owned, a grand Victorian with two parlors, a family dining room, an enclosed porch, a servant's dining room and a kitchen on the first floor.

They used one of the parlor's as a family room with their tv installed there. She's a music teacher who gives private lessons, and, while her grand piano was in the dining room, the enclosed porch became her office. Her husband, an engineer, used the servant's dining room as his office.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:39 am
@Phoenix32890,
What do you think of those large "stickers" that are put in hairdresser's windows, always showing a woman with abundant hair and perfect nails, holding a rose. They drove my ex-boyfriend and my sons crazy! Every time we went out together in the car, they would count them.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:13 pm
@plainoldme,
POM Either I have never seen them, or have tuned them out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:17 pm
Test Patterns- In the early days of television, programs started about 5 p.m. and ended at about 11 p.m. When nothing was playing, the station would have a test pattern that would be on the screen.

http://www.google.com/images?rls=ig&hl=en&source=imghp&biw=800&bih=511&q=tv+test+patterns&gbv=2&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m9&aql=&oq=Test+Patterns
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:12 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
That is true. I was thinking of a house some friends formerly owned, a grand Victorian with two parlors, a family dining room, an enclosed porch, a servant's dining room and a kitchen on the first floor.

They used one of the parlor's as a family room with their tv installed there. She's a music teacher who gives private lessons, and, while her grand piano was in the dining room, the enclosed porch became her office. Her husband, an engineer, used the servant's dining room as his office.
"Parlor's" [sic] shoud be parlors.
U got it right in the first paragraf, Professor.

R u really an English Professor ?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I don't think there is ever a time when nothing is playing.

Jack Parr and Steve Allen and Johnny Carson replaced test patterns.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 08:29 pm
@plainoldme,
That sounds quite local, pom.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 11:37 pm
If I were to pick a word to date myself, it would be "awesome"....but I never really used that one, or many of the others as if I meant them....there is always a hint of sarcasm, or just sillyness in my voice when using such words.....groovy, being the cream of the crop.

If that makes no sense, just imagine William F Buckley using the word groovy...it just does not sound right...and you would know he didn't really mean it.

I do say cool, and neat a lot though....but both of those span a few generations....at times I call my wife dude, usually when she is not quite in line with my logic....that one is fresh in my mind, because I called her dude about 20 min ago....also when "speaking" to my wife or children, they know my grunts very well....happy grunts, sad ones, angry, etc....ala Tim Allen, so I guess chalk me up for the cave man generation.
roger

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 11:39 pm
@2PacksAday,
I totally agree about groovy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 12:37 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I don't think there is ever a time when nothing is playing.

Jack Parr and Steve Allen and Johnny Carson replaced test patterns.
Johnny Carson obviously did not replace any test patterns.
He was a relative Johnny-come-lately.
TV was well along b4 he arrived.
Johnny Carson replaced Jack Paar on the Tonight Show.
B4 that, he was a mid-afternoon game show host;
Do You Trust Your Wife; renamed Who Do You Trust?

While walking in the street in mid-town Manhattan,
I was accosted and offered a ticket to
his game show, either in the 1950s or early '60s.
I attended it.
I remember seeing his game show, at home.
He had a habit of turning around and looking
over his left shoulder, while interviewing his
guests on Who Do You Trust.
I used to wonder what the hell he was looking at
behind him so much. When I attended his show,
I saw that he was looking at Ed, off camera.

David

David
roger

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah, Jack wasn't quite up to par.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 01:39 am
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:
If I were to pick a word to date myself, it would be "awesome"....but I never really used that one, or many of the others as if I meant them....there is always a hint of sarcasm, or just sillyness in my voice when using such words.....groovy, being the cream of the crop.

If that makes no sense, just imagine William F Buckley using the word groovy...it just does not sound right...and you would know he didn't really mean it.
He had a keen, sparkling wit; a very, very bright guy. This was manifested in his books;
he made me laff for half an hour at a time. Smart humor.
He might have said groovy,
if he were joking around.

David
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 06:25 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
The Steve Allen Show premiered at 11 am on Christmas Day, 1950, and was later moved into a thirty-minute, early evening slot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Allen

I am referring to the time when TV first came into its own, about 1947-8. There were NO morning , afternoon or late evening shows on the air then. I do believe that the first show of the day in 1947 was (drum-roll) Howdy Doody, which, as I recall, started at 5 p.m.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 09:40 am
hijinks
scoundrel
onomatopoeia
waif
time card
bismuth
excelsior!
termagant
porte-cochere
runt