What Words Do You Use that "Date" You?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 08:56 am
@sms,
U can answer one in the middle, if u wanna.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 09:08 am
@Phoenix32890,
We did say submarine races in Boston area, too. In Calif, it was "watching the grunion run".
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 09:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
The Submarine Race Watchers' Club, a cheap date, take your girl and park by the water while, from the dashboard, you listen to 1010 WINS, Murray the K and his Swingin' Soiree. Once Murray announced he was going to make an appearance at Plum Beach to preside personally over a meeting of the club. He never got there. On the way he found himself glommed up in a traffic jam that had the Belt Parkway tied up for 10 miles. "What's happenin'?" he asked a cop. "Oh," the cop answered, "some crazy disc jockey announced on the radio that something was going on at Plum Beach." They hated him for things like that.

http://www.blacklistedjournalist.com/column18.htm

Ah, memories!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 09:20 am
Plum Beach? OK, I googled it. In Brooklyn. No wonder I never heard of it. Heard of Murray the K though. How could I not.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:08 am

That was after Murray Kaufman
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:11 am
Swell - and So's your old man.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
hullaballoo - there was a dj who called himself the hullaballooer.
Not only do I never use that word now, I didn't back then either.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 10:14 am
@Roberta,
Oh Boida, so near and yet so far! Wink
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 12:26 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
hullaballoo - there was a dj who called himself the hullaballooer.
Not only do I never use that word now, I didn't back then either.
At EXACTLY the same time
that u were not saying that,
I was simultaneously not saying it EITHER.

David
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 12:31 pm
disco sucks ( I NEVER said that. I happen to like disco!)

penny loafers

white bucks

blue suede shoes

crinolines
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 12:45 pm

Nifty
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:16 pm
When I was a wee lad (late 50's) we called jeans "dungarees."

dungarees -> blue jeans -> jeans -> levis -> jeans

(Some in the chain were "Bell-bottoms")
Rockhead

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
toughskins...

by Sears.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 02:23 pm
@Phoenix32890,
hush puppies
saddle shoes
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You don't understand that the invention of the typewriter and the creation of the posts of secretary and stenographer were considered, in their day, a great break through for women whose employment opportunities outside of the home were limited to domestic work, mill work and teaching. While women teachers earned less than men, the chance to work in an office, wearing a clean shirtwaist, typing letters was a great advancement from domestic and mill work.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:32 pm
@Ragman,
We said submarine races in the Motor City as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:42 pm
@plainoldme,
My mother was a secretary at RKO in the mid thirties, where she met my dad, a film editor then, and lots of other people. I think Fred Astaire gave her a box candy but I'm not sure at what studio. What I remember is she said Ginger Rogers bit her nails...
My aunt, the hundred year old one I often talk about proudly, was a secretary at Disney in the thirties, where she met my uncle.
Those were good jobs.

So, I learned to type on my mother's Underwood typewriter when I was thirteen, or maybe fourteen, but she never could get me to learn shorthand.

Now I wouldn't mind knowing it - I saw the book (Gregg's?) and it was quite graceful as a method of shortening of words goes... at least in my memory.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 07:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Sure, our generation scorned secretarial work but that was because degreed women were relegated to it. For women of our grandmother's (or great-grandmother's) generation, secretarial work was boon.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 08:11 pm
@sms,
Quote:
Not sure I'm doing this right.

There's no wrong way. But that doesn't mean you won't get criticized.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 06:09 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
You don't understand that the invention of the typewriter
I bet that u r ignorant of the fact that the typewriter was invented in the 1700s,*
long before the Declaration of Independence or the birth of its author.

plainoldme wrote:
and the creation of the posts of secretary and stenographer were considered, in their day,
a great break through for women
That is nonsense, Plain.
When the job of "secretary" was created,
no woman woud ever even be CONSIDERED for that job,
because it was one of great importance in the proprietary affairs of men of means.
Eventually, the job of secretary was degraded to stenografy and intra-office errands.
THAT is the job which was entrusted to women.

plainoldme wrote:
whose employment opportunities outside of the home were limited to domestic work, mill work and teaching. While women teachers earned less than men, the chance to work in an office, wearing a clean shirtwaist, typing letters was a great advancement from domestic and mill work.

* In 1714, Henry Mill obtained a patent in Britain for a machine that, from the patent, appears to have been similar to a typewriter. The patent shows that this machine was actually created: "he hath by his great study and paines & expence invented and brought to perfection an artificial machine or method for impressing or transcribing of letters, one after another, as in writing, whereby all writing whatsoever may be engrossed in paper or parchment so neat and exact as not to be distinguished from print; that the said machine or method may be of great use in settlements and publick recors, the impression being deeper and more lasting than any other writing, and not to be erased or counterfeited without manifest discovery." (Wikipedia)