Help needed to select a water softener

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 01:46 pm
My wife and I are building a new home and could really use some help selecting a water softener.

Our home is:
3 full bathrooms (plus rough plumbing in basement for possible 4th bathroom)
~2600 sq feet
I have 2 daughters (total of 4 people in the home...for now anyway - we may consider having one more child in the future)
We are on a private well
We plan to live in this house permanently
Plumbing servicing the house is 3/4"

I had 3 local companies come out and give estimates. I am having trouble sorting through the information and selecting the best product.

The water tested out as follows:
hardness = 26-30 (each came up with a slightly different number)
iron = 0.5ppm
pH 7

2 of the companies offered systems within our budget:

One company suggested a unit sized at 49,500 with a Fleck 2510 valve. The price was $949 completely installed. I believe this is a reputable company, but have one concern. My brother built a house across the street from me one year ago. He used this company and they installed the same size unit, but with a Fleck 5600SE. I called the owner of the company to find out the difference. He told me he could get me the 5600SE for $909, but he said his technician would never have recommended that unit to my brother because the turbine system tends to break down and become less accurate over time. My brother gave me the brochure from the company and it was the same tech that came to my house. The owner told me to avoid all the SE lines as they will all have this corrosion problem over time. I know the sales guy at this company is going to steer me away from anything that has electronic controls. He said in his experience the turbine system does not last as long. Especially on wells with the water conditions found in our area (Southeastern Wisconsin). He said they work well for the first 5-10 years, but then "lose accuracy in counting/metering." He said the electronic display on these systems do little more than provide people with clock in their basement and offer no other real benefit. Is this true? What other functions do the electronics provide? Would I have the same problem with a Fleck 2510SXT?
Which of these is the best valve? Is there a large price difference between a 2510 and a 2510SXT? Why might I chose one over the other?

The second company recommended a 32,000 Hellenbrand Promate system for $1175 installed. I believe this uses a Clack valve? This rep said the valve on this unit is newer/superior to the others that I was looking at. He said with this unit I would not need to worry about corrosion or inaccuracy. Because this unit has automatic variable reserve, He said I would make up the price difference in terms of efficiency and salt usage. I asked about the size difference and he said I shouldn't "oversize" and that this size would be adequate for our needs.

What size system should I be looking for?

I'd appreciate any opinions or suggestions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,480 • Replies: 1
No top replies

justalurker

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2011 10:41 pm
@marlesincharge,
Both companies are suggesting grossly UNDERSIZED softeners based on your water conditions, number of people, and water usage. Both softeners will regenerate too often wasting water and salt and not provide adequate flow at peak demand..

Old timers find it hard to make the move to electronic softener controls regardless how many are in the field or how reliable they have proven to be. Remind them that if their cars or trucks were made after 1990 that they are controlled by electronics.

Keep shopping...
0 Replies