Making your own photo book Lulu, blurb etc..

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:37 am
I have been reading a lot of photog forums over the past few days trying to decide WHO makes the best photo book and HOW to make it easily.

So far it seems that Blurb is winning , but with a few issues that I would find really important. So my question is if anyone here has made a book ?
Who did you use?
How was the quality?

The types of photos im going to use are here on the first 2 pages.
http://melissasphotographs.blogspot.com/

Primarily black and white
City scenes, people..etc.
I will have a few color photos in there hence the reason for my questions.

I hear 2 important things about the photo books and both bother me.

1)- a lot of the do it yourself black and white books have a common complaint about color tinting on the pages.
In one forum someone went so far as to use a black light because their color was 'off' and the paper had a purple sheen.
I dont quite know what that means.. ? If it really IS an issue for the paper to have a color sheen, but my concern was that he noticed it with out the black light and it drove him nuts enough to try and solve it.
So far, out of 12 forums, I have heard that same complaint addressed 4 different times by different viewers / users in different areas. Those are some high odds I think.

2) Color photos I hear look VERY good. In fact, it seems the color books are the ones that come out the best.
EXCEPT..again.. common complaint.. Grain. Printing noise.
Though the odds were not as high hearing about that issue. I think I heard that complaint twice.

Blurb seems to have the highest satisfaction rate
Lulu second..

opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 01:08 pm
@shewolfnm,
Edgar would be a person to seek out information from. If I remember correctly, he has self-published at least one book and I'm thinking it has been several books.

I'll send him a message and ask him to look in on this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 01:13 pm
My only experienece is with Lulu. They are very professional and I have no complaints. I believe they have improved the publishing experience since I last used them. Currently, I am concentrating on a novel hopefully for a publishing house.
0 Replies