Was man created in god's image, or was god created in man's?

caprice

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 09:36 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
caprice wrote:

Ah but Frank, by your definition you are diminishing the meanings of those words.

I don't think so. Not at all. But we can certainly discuss that.

Why don't you think your definition diminishes the meaning of those words? Would you not agree that, generally speaking (and not counting all the hucksters and others who "use" religion), the words "faith" and "belief" when used in a religious context have the most sincerest of meanings? That to define them as you have is, in a sense, minimizing the power of those words to those individuals who use them to describe their religion?

Frank Apisa wrote:
caprice wrote:
For me faith is, in part, about trust and about the heart.

Yes, I understand that.

But I am trying to show you that you may be rationalizing. -- trying to put the very best face on a truly petty function.

Let's see if I can explain my reasoning: A person can say "There definitely is a GOD -- and the Bible describes that GOD."

That is a belief. It is, by any reasonable standard of measure, a guess about the unknown.

You describe faith as a petty function? What is it about faith that you believe is petty?

By "any" reasonable standard of measure? I beg to differ here. I think that in matters such as these (faith and religion), a standard of measure can be a very subjective thing. Now if you mean by a strictly logical, scientific standard of measure, then I can agree there is no tangible, concrete proof that can stand up to the rigours of today's scientific criteria. But does that mean that sort of measure is the only one? Even science reinvents its definitions. What was true yesterday is no longer true today in many scientific matters. (I can site an example if you like. Smile

Frank Apisa wrote:
(Now if you are going to assert a private revelation -- we will have to make a long, arduous departure to first investigate this "revelation". I hope that is not the case, because every previous ":private revelation" I've ever encountered has easily been seen to be blather. So I am going to assume you are simply accepting the Bible for whatever you accept it to be; and that you are simply accepting the notion that there is a God.)

Just to answer your question, no I have never had a revelation. At least not a revelation in the sense I understand revelations to be. Perhaps an epiphany *grins* but not a revelation. On a personal level, what I might describe as my beliefs are things I know to be true for me. They are the answers to just a very few of the questions I have had. Can I prove some of what I believe? In a scientific sense, no. But as I've said, these are things that ring true for me. I feel I am only at the cusp of my "spiritual journey". In so many ways it is just the beginning, even though I have been seeking answers for many years now. But as I'd posted before (perhaps not in this particular thread, I just don't recall) I know I will likely never find answers to all the questions I have and I am okay with that.

Frank Apisa wrote:
So...

...the person has this guess (which he/she calls a belief) that there exists an entity GOD -- and has a further guess (also called a belief) that the ancient Hebrews were in touch with this GOD -- and they accurately described what the GOD is like -- and what pleases and offends the GOD.

Then the person talks about "faith."

By "faith" they inist that their guesses about the exitence of a GOD -- and knowledge about that GOD -- ARE TRUTH.

So..."beliefs" are guesses about the unknown -- and "faith" is the insistance that the guesses are something more than guesses.

You make it all sound so simplistic. In a certain way faith is simple, but not entirely. From what I have seen, faith is beyond just insisting something. You mentioned, by way of example, the idea that "ancient Hebrews were in touch with this GOD -- and they accurately described what the GOD is like -- and what pleases and offends the GOD." Your further comments imply that you have doubts about the veracity of this idea. How do you know if this did or did not occur? Neither of us were there at the time. And the Bible was written at that time. The only point of dispute is its interpretation and translations over the ages. So, can the faith of the existence of God be due, in part, to what is interpretted from the Bible as being true? Is it too far fetched to consider the writings to be true? That no matter what the interpretation, the Bible gives us examples of God's existence?

Frank Apisa wrote:
I see faith as a crutch for people who are terrified of the unknown.

It is all a matter of perspective.

I agree with you on that last statement, and to a certain extent with the first one. Perhaps for some the belief in God and heaven is what they would use because they do fear the unknown. But it isn't that way for everyone. To me, the idea we end in dust and nothing else is such a depressing thought. And I know there are others who don't fear the "unknown". How do you explain near death experiences? How do you explain those who have been clinically dead on the operating table and are able to describe what was happening as seen from above? Are these not POSSIBLE examples of something created out of a higher level of understanding than we as human beings possess?

Frank Apisa wrote:
caprice wrote:
It is difficult to articulate.

I suspect that is because your unconscious sees the rationalizations for what they are. (Not being a wise-ass here -- and not being intentionally unkind -- just giving my opinion!)

I would see it more as an all around difficulty for me to articulate my thoughts in a manner I feel is fully expressive of my non-verbal thoughts. Smile

Frank Apisa wrote:
No, I do not agree that faith is any more than bull-headedness -- no matter than those of you who want your guesses about reality to be accepted as truth -- insist that it is.

To me, bull-headedness has a negative connotation. For true faith, I cannot see anything negative associated with it -- even if there are points of it I may not agree with. Now I am not speaking of the type of faith that one might see in those who use "faith" as an excuse to exhibit negative behaviours. (Terrorists, suicide bombers and the IRA come to mind.) Within my definition of the word faith, it is listening to ones "inner voice" if you will. It isn't simply a matter of being told something is so because someone's interpretation of religious writings says so, but to reconcile it with what you know inside is right and true.

The one thing I think you and I can agree upon Frank is that we see this whole situation from different perspectives, as you had already stated, n'est-ce pas? Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 08:14 am
caprice wrote:
The one thing I think you and I can agree upon Frank is that we see this whole situation from different perspectives, as you had already stated, n'est-ce pas? Smile

Yes! And with absolutely no condescention intended, I think we should simply leave it at that.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 05:27 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
caprice wrote:

Yes! And with absolutely no condescention intended, I think we should simply leave it at that.

Surprisingly enough I agree with you. I was envisioning novels being written. Very Happy
0 Replies

jora

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:15 pm
Here's my opinion---anyone who says "yah well, my religion is truth. Just let me quote some scriptures." Umm, well, what about Greek gods? What about pagan gods? And hey, what about leprechauns? Obviously not gods, but talked about for hundreds of years and firmly believed to be real.
Science teaches us to look at evidence, not hearsay. That is why we can be pretty sure that it's theories are most likely correct. Now, I say "most likely" because in science, everything is a theory. Nothing is ever really an etched in stone fact. You have some things that are stronger theories than others of course, like the earth is round (and to those of you who think man has never been in space, I roll my eyes at you). See, this leaves science open to admit more evidence in the future. Ah yes, and to anyone saying that evolution has no evidence attached to it I ask you: "exactly how much reading have you done on this subject?" In the past when I have encountered people who do not believe in evolution---strangely enough they have never read very much about it. I suspect that their churches are the ones dictating this info to them---in warped ways of course. Do some actual reading before you bring anything like this to the table. Then we'll talk.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:52 am
Religion is a funny thing.
Plenty of people believe in it. They're all apparently sincere, and they're all different in their beliefs.
Some of the noblest works of man have been done in the name of religion, and some of the basest acts.
Some of the greatest crimes of humanity have been done in the name of religion.
Religion is used as a cover for other base motives, of course, and you can't blame it for that, about being used I mean.

Still, taking all in all, I believe religion, adherence to a religion and espousal of a set of beliefs, to be a bad thing and that's why I don't do it.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:52 am
McTag wrote:
Still, taking all in all, I believe religion, adherence to a religion and espousal of a set of beliefs, to be a bad thing and that's why I don't do it.

You don't believe in a religion, don't believe in an adherence to a religion, and don't believe in an espousal of beliefs, but do believe religion is a bad thing. Hmmmmm Confused

Isn't your stated belief that all of the above is a bad thing an espousal of beliefs by you?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:04 am
jora wrote:
Science teaches us to look at evidence, not hearsay. That is why we can be pretty sure that it's theories are most likely correct. Now, I say "most likely" because in science, everything is a theory. Nothing is ever really an etched in stone fact. You have some things that are stronger theories than others of course, like the earth is round (and to those of you who think man has never been in space, I roll my eyes at you). See, this leaves science open to admit more evidence in the future.

Yea, Verily! Amen! (Pardon those expressions) Smile In other words, we agree.

jora wrote:
... I have encountered people who do not believe in evolution ...

So have I! I'm not one of them. But I am one who believes both in evolution and in God. Oviously, I'm not one who believes that belief in one is mutiually exclusive belief in the other. The scientific evidence in support of evolution is too persuasive for me to deny its a highly probable truth. The evidence in support of God, while less persuasive, is still persuasive to me. I shall explain.

To me it comes down to a belief in a definition of god. If I were to believe in a god defined to be infallible and omni-lotsa-stuff, that would appear to me to contradict my belief in evolution. To reconcile my belief in both God and in evolution I must define God differently than most do. I define God and our observable and inferable universe (OO&IU) to be one and the same thing. If OO&IU exists then by definition God exists. But if God is not infallible and omni-lotsa-stuff, then what is God? Answer, God is OO&IU. But what is that nature of OO&IU that warrants honoring it as God?

Hypothesis: The nature of OO&IU that warrants honoring it as God is that OO&IU is intelligent (but not necessarily an infallible intelligence).

What scientific evidence do we have that OO&IU is intelligent? For example, humans and mice evolved from a common ancestor within 100 million years, and the genomes of mice and humans differ by 300 genes. The calculable probability those two evolutions occurred within 100 million years by random mutation and natural selection is less than 10^(-1,000,000). So I infer from that, among other things, either OO&IU consists of an automatic life evolving feedback control system that influenced the evolution of life, or it consists of an intelligent life evolving feedback control system that influenced the evolution of life. But if it's the automatic one, I'm faced with the question: what caused it to evolve? It's simpler and easier for me to simply assume it's the intelligent one and wait for science to determine the nature and means of influence of that intelligence.

I promise to be patient. Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:32 am
ican711nm wrote:
McTag wrote:

You don't believe in a religion, don't believe in an adherence to a religion, and don't believe in an espousal of beliefs, but do believe religion is a bad thing. Hmmmmm Confused

Isn't your stated belief that all of the above is a bad thing an espousal of beliefs by you?

No, it's a statement of a conclusion, my own.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:58 am
ican711nm wrote:

McTag wrote:
No, it's a statement of a conclusion, my own.

Well then, statements made by individuals of belief in this or that religion are also statements of their conclusions, their own, and not espousals of beliefs. Otherwise, you're statement is "spin" (i.e., making a distinction without a difference).

www.m-w.com
Quote:
Main Entry: es·pous·al
Pronunciation: is-'pau-z&l also -s&l
Function: noun
1 a : BETROTHAL b : WEDDING c : MARRIAGE
2 : a taking up or adopting of a cause or belief

Main Entry: con·clu·sion
Pronunciation: k&n-'klü-zh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin conclusion-, conclusio, from concludere
1 a : a reasoned judgment : INFERENCE b : the necessary consequence of two or more propositions taken as premises; especially : the inferred proposition of a syllogism
2 : the last part of something: as a : RESULT, OUTCOME b plural : trial of strength or skill -- used in the phrase try conclusions c : a final summation d : the final decision in a law case e : the final part of a pleading in law
3 : an act or instance of concluding
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 03:26 pm
Ican, if you don't understand the difference between a logical conclusion and a position based on faith, then you're not the man (person) I think you are.

By the way, these online dictionaries you're fond of using are not very good.

Sniff.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:06 pm
McTag wrote:
Ican, if you don't understand the difference between a logical conclusion and a position based on faith, then you're not the man (person) I think you are.

I think I understand the difference between a logic-based conclusion and a faith-based conclusion. However, we were discussing what you alleged was a difference between a conclusion and an espousal. No matter, let us discuss this new topic. Perhaps you and I differ over a subtle aspect of that difference. Let's see.

Logic-based conclusions are logically inferred from axioms (e.g., so-called self-evident truths), facts and other logical conclusions. While faith-based conclusions are perceived and not inferred from other faith-based conclusions. But wait! So-called self-evident truths are also perceived and not logically inferred. Perhaps then the difference is that faith-based conclusions are generally, but not always, perceptions derived from perceptions, while logic-based conclusions are generally, but not always, logically derived independent of perceptions.

McTag wrote:
By the way, these online dictionaries you're fond of using are not very good.

This problem is solvable by you. Simply furnish me a convenient to use on-line dictionary that you prefer. I'll then use it. I currently use the Britannica, Merriam-Webster dictionary ( www.m-w.com ) here because I dislike transcribing definitions and it provides me a simple way to copy definitions into my posts.
0 Replies