Was man created in god's image, or was god created in man's?

Individual

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:19 pm
According to the bible, God made laws for man and not for himself
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:07 pm
NickFun wrote:
I sense trouble here. If Mary was a married woman then didn't God violate his own commandment by impregnating her? Some folks say she was "betrothed" meaning "not married yet. In this case, isn't it a sin to impregnate another mans fiancee? Seems to me God must be saying, "do as I say, not as I do".

Its not a sin, because Mary enjoyed it? Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:29 pm
Man may not have created God, but God in conveniently evolving along with man's modern beliefs.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 11:02 pm
That is so true!
0 Replies

QKid

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 01:24 pm
Funny
You guys are very funny. First of all one must understand the meaning of God. What does it actually mean to be God?

Well God is all powerful and all knowing and all everything. He was not created but He created the Universe and everything in it. He does not have a Son. And He is NOT anywhere in the creation Himself. That is not physically present in the creation. But His wisdom and power is there. If He wants something done, He merely says be and it is.

Now we humans did not evolve either. There is no proof that we came from monkeys. God created the first humans and we are a result of them. God does not evolve. He also made rules and regulations which we must obide by orelse we face the punishments. Humans dont make any rules for the Creator to follow. Thats just stupid!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 01:27 pm
Of course it's stupid, there was no creator to begin with.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 01:55 pm
Re: Funny
QKid wrote:
You guys are very funny. First of all one must understand the meaning of God. What does it actually mean to be God?

Well God is all powerful and all knowing and all everything. He was not created but He created the Universe and everything in it. He does not have a Son. And He is NOT anywhere in the creation Himself. That is not physically present in the creation. But His wisdom and power is there. If He wants something done, He merely says be and it is.

Now we humans did not evolve either. There is no proof that we came from monkeys. God created the first humans and we are a result of them. God does not evolve. He also made rules and regulations which we must obide by orelse we face the punishments. Humans dont make any rules for the Creator to follow. Thats just stupid!!

Every indication is that nobody knows if there is a God -- or if there are no gods. Anything definitive said on the issue is, apparently, a guess -- and a guess pretty much snatched out of thin air.

You certainly said lots of definitive things in this post.

You are very good at snatching stuff out of thin air.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:04 pm
gozmo wrote:
We needed gods to understand change because our experience told us that change was brought about by external action. We lit fire with flint, god lit fire with lightning. Whether there is a true God or not our gods were created by us to explain our experience. In time we invested our moral sense in them giving great privileges to priestly castes who knew the ways of the gods. Religion is primitive science.

That pretty much sums it up.

Norse, greek and Roman pantheons of gods were created in the image of men and women - same foibles, lusts, virtues and vices - but with the superhuman powers/abilities to bend the rules of nature that we wished for ourselves.

Whether there is (or ever was) some supernatural entity behind the myths is anybody's guess. Whatever God might be, she doesn't seem to be interested in communicating effectively with most human beings these days.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:13 pm
QKid wrote:

We don't know anything of the sort. Some people guess that the kind of God they hope is running things would have those characterisics. Other people guess that no gods of any kind are needed for the universe and mankind to exist just as we do.

In any case, monkeys and human beings most certainly evolved from a common ancestor. Perhaps an intelligent being supernaturally influenced the evolution of life on this planet, but if so, that god was an incredibly incompetent engineer.
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 01:36 am
Terry wrote:
QKid wrote:

We don't know anything of the sort. Some people guess that the kind of God they hope is running things would have those characterisics. Other people guess that no gods of any kind are needed for the universe and mankind to exist just as we do.

In any case, monkeys and human beings most certainly evolved from a common ancestor. Perhaps an intelligent being supernaturally influenced the evolution of life on this planet, but if so, that god was an incredibly incompetent engineer.

I'll drink to that.... Fancy building a play ground next to a sewerage outlet.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:21 am
Fancy saving space so that we don't have to worry about which tube to use.

Welcome to the forum QKid, but you have to realize that not everyone believes in god.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:28 am
Of course Man created god. I can't believe that in 2004 there are still people trapped in these stupid, ancient superstitions. I wish they'd all just grow up. It's pathetic.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:28 am
I just had a thought...

According to Emerson, everything that man does is a copy of something that he sees in nature. Is it reasonable to jump ahead and say that man imitates what he sees because he himself is a copy?
0 Replies

QKid

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:13 pm
Terry wrote:
QKid wrote:

Thanx for the welcome Individual. And yes I see that not everyone believes in God. Well this is a debate room so I sorta expected that.

Terry:
You say that those kinds of characteristics of God are what people may want but we dont know for sure. Well we do. Its all in the Qur'an. If you want references I can provide them.

As you guys have noticed, I believe in God. I most likely wont claim things without any proof so if you guys want my references I should be able to provide them.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 02:32 am
proof proof proof. I'm so sick of hearing that word. You can't prove a damned thing. what a load of bollocks.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:46 pm
Wilso, if you don't really have anything nice to say...
0 Replies

QKid

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 02:49 pm
Wilso wrote:
proof proof proof. I'm so sick of hearing that word. You can't prove a damned thing. what a load of bollocks.

Well Wilso, what if I said i can prove things. But the real question is are you willing to listen and not be ignorant? If you truly want proof, and it is proven for you, will you be willing to change your beliefs? Can you give me an honest answer?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 11:21 pm
QKid wrote:

Well Wilso, what if I said i can prove things. But the real question is are you willing to listen and not be ignorant? If you truly want proof, and it is proven for you, will you be willing to change your beliefs? Can you give me an honest answer?

Unless you can show me God, in person, then you can't prove to me he/she exists. I liked Frank's quote on another thread. Try selling your snake oil where there's some sucker willing to buy it. But please stop wasting my time with this primitive superstitious trash.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 09:29 am
QKid wrote:
Wilso wrote:

Anything you want to "prove" I am willing to consider with an open-mind. If you are willing to come to the table with an open mind also, let's start right now.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:29 pm
Re: Just made it up?
Seeker wrote:
Don't you think God would be a pretty wierd thing to make up? I mean, God's who roll thunder across the sky etc. you can see the imagination at work. But Gods like the Christian God, how in the name of all that is wonderful are we supposed to have come up with that idea?

Um. The reason we have a God today is for the exact same reason the ancient civilizations had a God back then...to explain the inexplicable. There's no real difference between then and now, except for the fact that now we have the technology and science to prove that the Fire and Lightning and Weather are all perfectly normal things...and not the Wrath of God!!

Now, we have God essentially to explain another thing we don't have the answer for: in our case, it's Creation. Science tells us that matter can neither be created nor destroyed, but at some point there was nothing...and then there was something. Now, science don't have no answer to that, so we have God to rationalize it...and as soon as science pulls through and proves how Creating things is possible, we'll have no real reason for a God.

Cheers.
0 Replies