P.C. or Mac? Should I Switch to Apple?

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 02:44 pm
@Mame,
The guys over at Apple told me that if I brought in my old computer, they would transfer all my files to the new one.

Actually, I don't have too many files that I really need to save. Most of the pictures on the computer I have have been burned to discs.

Anyhow, I am a little leery about leaving my computer. I would be concerned about anybody having access to passwords.

I just threw out my first computer, a Windows 98 horror. Before we went to the dump, we removed the hard drive. I was shocked at how heavy it was. Don't know where Mr. P. put it. I really want to take a sledge hammer to it.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 02:50 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

The guys over at Apple told me that if I brought in my old computer, they would transfer all my files to the new one.

Actually, I don't have too many files that I really need to save. Most of the pictures on the computer I have have been burned to discs.

Anyhow, I am a little leery about leaving my computer. I would be concerned about anybody having access to passwords.

Depending on what type of Mac you buy, they can probably just take the hard drive out of your PC and put it into the Mac (after transferring the files). Then you can format the old drive and continue to use it.
djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 02:56 pm
@rosborne979,
or buy a kit and turn your pc hard drive into an external drive, transfer the files you want, format the new external drive and have some extra storage, i did that when i bought my mac (actually i just switched the drive from an external i already had), but you can buy cases and to make your own
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 02:58 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Phoenix32890 wrote:

Depending on what type of Mac you buy, they can probably just take the hard drive out of your PC and put it into the Mac (after transferring the files). Then you can format the old drive and continue to use it.

Will thay do that while u wait there ?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 03:05 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I use a small firm called machappy, a local place. Back in the northcoast, I used an official mac sales place in Arcata plaza. I might use the Apple store here, but it's way across town, and, besides, I like the small firm. Anyway, I've found both machappy and the mac store back in Arcata to be eminently trustworthy re leaving my computer. Both definitely helpful places.

On passwords, I routinely send my passwords to myself by email (one of the free ones), so I have a record if the worst happens and I have a hard drive crash with data loss.

So, if you keep a record of passwords, you can change them all just after picking your computer up if you are worried.

I've used pc's too, back in the eighties and some of the nineties, and, at work, in the 2000's.

My first mac was from the Bargain Box in the local paper - an old education system type mac. I got it only because I wanted a new computer, er, computer new to me, and that was the one that day in the newspaper. I remember being frightened that I would somehow ruin the machine by pushing the wrong button. I soon got over the illogical fears - even those oldie macs were intuitive.

I've never had a mac virus, knock on wood. I did get the hard drive replaced a while ago (babymac is now having a sixth birthday). The new hard drive is swell.

As long as I raved about my now local machappy place, and the mac place in Arcata, I'll have to add that there was a really good pc fix company up in Arcata too. Name was something like Renaissance Computing. Not that that is useful to a2kers, but just to record the good experiences.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 03:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

Phoenix32890 wrote:

Will thay do that while u wait there ?
Sure. They'll do just about anything to sell you a new computer Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 03:30 pm
I am a die hard Mac fan, never used anything else privately. They're just really
user friendly, buy it, plug it in and use it - it's really that simple! Upgrades
are done automatically (or rather the system asks you if you want to upgrade) at no additional cost. Anti virus is built in and should you have a question or need assistance, the Apple store helpers are a great wealth of information, mostly those young people are such Apple fanatics they're so eager to help, it's almost surreal.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 03:35 pm
@CalamityJane,
That is my experience too. Well, not so much as fanatic, but sanely very helpful people I liked.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 03:50 pm
@djjd62,
There is a nice program with useful free version that sandbox your browser so nothing can get into your computer from the internet.

The name is sandboxie.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 03:55 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
There is a nice program with useful free version that sandbox your browser
so nothing can get into your computer from the internet.

The name is sandboxie.
That is anti-viral ?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 04:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
NO!! An inferior PC Smile
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:26 pm
I've been a computer guy for years and have sold computers at Best Buy for 8 months. We sell PCs and Macs.

1. Macs are more expensive. They start at $1000.
2. Yes, they are better. The quality is better and generally the hardware is better, but you can get an equivalent PC. But it will be expensive too.
3. The hardware design on Macs is much better in my opinion. They are built with better materials. The actual electronic hardware is pretty much the same. The machined alum. case on a MacBookPro is an example.
4. The software is the real difference. Yes, there will be a learning curve, but a short one. In the end you will think they are much easier to use. I've had both and Apple software is much more intuitive. Things are where you think they should be. Also, all the software works the same, generally.

The software is the difference and yes, I think Apple is better.

5. Graphics, video, etc are generally better.

Go for it. Very few come back the other way.
djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 06:29 pm
@IRFRANK,
not true, the mac mini starts at about $700, you can use your existing monitor, keyboard and mouse

2.4GHz : 320GB
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
320GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
Mac OS X Snow Leopard

$699.00
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 11:32 pm
@djjd62,
That's true, but it's not complete.
If you add in the cost of the monitor, keyboard and mouse, it's still $1000.

Apples to Oranges

Laughing
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 06:19 am
@IRFRANK,
Would you recommend that I buy the computer at Apple, or purchase it at another outlet, like Best Buy? I have been to the Apple store, and was very impressed with the sales people there. Also, one of them told me that you could buy a feature where you could go to classes for a year.

As far as cost is concerned, that is only somewhat of an issue. I have only bought two in the last 11-12 years, so I figure that the next one should last about six years.

When I bought the computer that I have now, I did not project the advances that would be coming in the ensuing years. So I did not increase my RAM (which Mr. P had to do later), and took the CD player and burner that came with the computer. This time, I would like to think ahead.

I am looking at the high end 27" IMAC. I think that the MacBook Pro is a little pricey for me. Right now I have my computer tower on the floor. As I am getting older, and my back is getting lousier, I find that crawling around on the floor to get to the tower is getting to be a bit much for me.

Some reviewers think that not having an HDMI port, or a blu-ray player on the iMac is a big deal. Right now, I have no problem with that. I have a blu-ray player on my T.V., and I don't anticipate watching movies on my computer. Then again, I did not think ahead the last time that I bought a computer. What do you think?

What do you think about the all-in-ones? Any caveats?

Another thing. When I bought my last computer, I bought surround sound speakers. They are too good to throw away, and are much better than the speakers that come with the iMac. Can they be used with the Apple?
djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 06:37 am
@IRFRANK,
but it's specifically made to keep your existing peripherals, if you want or need the extras then it's not for you
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 07:18 am
@Phoenix32890,
I think that just about any future goodie you need will come in a stand alone box that you can hook up via USB, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Here is an example of a blu ray drive that you could add on for $100 if you decided you needed it in the future. You can also buy USB to HDMI converters for ~$50 should you ever need one (which I doubt.)
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 09:06 am
@Phoenix32890,
Apple or Best Buy decision would be based on best service and convenience. If the Apple store is close, I would go there. Some Best Buy stores have Apple reps in them too, and free training. We have a guy that does training classes once a week and they are free. The training is a great idea.

I like the iMacs and the 27 inch is beautiful. Do you want a monitor that big? With one that big, I would get the Blu-Ray player. But you are right, if you already have one, you probably don't need it. With a desktop, you probably would watch movies on your TV. Get the most memory you can afford. That's the easiest way to increase performance. Up to 8Gb. Get at least 4Gb.

The all-in-ones are harder to upgrade than a tower, but if you get what you want you probably won't be doing that. It is nice to not have the tower though. I love the iMac. I think it is a great design.

I think you would love the iMac and use it for a long time.

Yes, the speakers should work fine. Take them to the store and find out if they aren't too big to carry.

I'd also look at getting the iWork software. You should get a $30 rebate with the computer so the software is only $50, which is a good deal. That's about all you should need.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 09:10 am
@Phoenix32890,
I have the 21.5-inch iMac btw, I am very happy with it thus far. I have a fairly small working area and the all-in-oneness is fantastic. (Really looks like just a monitor.) I also have a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse and my usable desk space has increased significantly.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 09:13 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I have the 21.5-inch iMac btw, I am very happy with it thus far. I have a fairly small working area and the all-in-oneness is fantastic. (Really looks like just a monitor.) I also have a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse and my usable desk space has increased significantly.

I have basically the same setup but I use a wireless trackball instead of a mouse. Then I lean back in my chair, put the keyboard on my lap and the trackball on the arm of the chair and I don't have to hunch over a desk while at home.
0 Replies