P.C. or Mac? Should I Switch to Apple?

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:26 am
I have a nearly seven years old Dell desktop computer running Windows XP. I think that it is time for me to start looking around for another computer.

I have been reading a lot about the Apple computers. Apparently many people have switched from P.C.s to Apples because of their stability. I have read a number of technical articles which put the Macs at the top of the heap in terms of quality.

I have been eying a gorgeous Apple desktop, but am a bit reluctant about switching. I don't want to start relearning "computerese", unless there is a definite advantage. I read somewhere that Mac has a new operating system coming out later this year. If I decide to get one, should I wait?

Have any of you either switched from P.C.s to Macs? What has been your experience? Did you perceive any advantage to one over the other?

For those who have always had Macs, what has been your experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 11,072 • Replies: 78

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:36 am

All of my computers have been PCs,
but I 've noticed the fanatical loyalty that Apple has generated. That 's interesting.

David
sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:36 am
@Phoenix32890,
This is my second mac, I had two or three PCs before that. (Plus work computers which were PCs.) I much, much prefer macs. Quality is good, everything is intuitive, if there's an easier, more elegant way to do it they usually find that way.

However, they're more expensive, and I don't know if the price differential is really worth it. So I'm hesitant to recommend it in general.

I don't think you have to worry about relearning "computerese," my adjustment time after the switch was very brief. (That goes back to the intuitiveness.)
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
There were two couples that with whom we often socialized, maybe 10 years ago. One of the men was a P.C. fan. The other was a die hard Mac lover. Each and every time we got together, the two guys would get into a heated discussion, sometimes practically coming to blows!
Mame

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:48 am
@sozobe,
I agree with your comments about Macs, but I do think there is some computerese to learn. I've been on computers for 30 years and the operating system on Macs is different from anything else I'm familiar with.

What I like most about them is the stability (mine freezes from time to time, but has never had any kind of virus) and how you just plug your computer or scanner or camera in and it finds the program and you're up and running in minutes - no downloading operating disks. However, learning to manage the iPhoto was a challenge to me since it's very different from anything else I've used.

Also, I didn't want any Windows products on my computer so I had to join and download (for free, although I contribute monthly to them) free Windows-type software (neo office) which is exactly like the Windows Office programs. The Neo Office programs are completely compatible with others and they upgrade them all the time. It's a non-profit volunteer group that hates Windows Smile

From a long time PC user to a relatively new MAC user, I'd never go back. But learning it, at our ages, is not as easy as you might think. Depends on how computer-literate/savvy you are. It can be done, but I'm sure I'm not using the full potential of my Mac. I've got loads of pictures and music on my computer, and have managed to organize things the way I want - just takes a bit of time to get used to it.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:48 am
@sozobe,
Soz- Thanks for your "take" on the subject. Now, not to sound too naive, do you need a virus scan for the Macs? What about annoyances like pop-ups? Is there less of that on a Mac?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:51 am
@Phoenix32890,
Its quite a sight to behold,
especially on the Apple side; its almost like religious fervor with them.

I can 't help but wonder if Apple has MORE MERIT,
to generate so remarkable a phenomenon.

I feel tempted to get a Mac next time; I dunno for sure.

David
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:51 am
i like my mac, i bought one of the mini's
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/03/Mac_Mini_stacked_sm.jpg
http://www.apple.com/macmini/

you can keep your monitor and keyboard/mouse (if they have usb plug-ins), you can run windows on them if you partition the hard drive (you must however have a full copy of the windows software not just an update disc), microsoft works makes a mac compatible version also

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:52 am
@Mame,
Quote:
how you just plug your computer or scanner or camera in and it finds the program and you're up and running in minutes - no downloading operating disks

Mame- That sounds like heaven.

Now, when you have had a "freeze", how easy is it to get back up and running? With my Dell, all I usually do is reboot, and that normally takes care of it.
sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:57 am
@Phoenix32890,
I *think*, but am not sure of this, that pop-ups have more to do with your browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, etc.) than the actual computer. At any rate I don't think there was a huge change. (I used Internet Explorer on the PC and use Safari or Firefox on the Macs.) It may be better but I'm not sure.

In general, with Macs, I find that there's a lot less fiddling and dealing with annoyances. There is a setting, somewhere, and if there's a problem you set things up a certain way and the problem disappears and you don't think about it anymore.

I deal with very, very few pop-ups right now.

Virus scans were much more a part of my life with the PCs than the Macs, but there absolutely are Mac viruses. I don't know as much about this as I ought.
sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:58 am
@Phoenix32890,
The blue screen of death doesn't exist with Macs [in my experience]. My browser used to freeze on the old computer (the mac before this) -- I'd have to force quit, then re-open. But the computer in general just hasn't ever frozen I don't think in all the time I've had one, and the one before this got quite geriatric (about 6 years old).
djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 07:59 am
@Phoenix32890,
i've never had what i call a real windows/pc freeze, at most i have to open force quit and shut down an application
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:02 am
@sozobe,
Thank u, Soz; that 's worth remembering.

David
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:03 am
@sozobe,
i ran a full virus scan program for a year on my mac (got it as part of a package deal), never picked up anything

i'm pretty careful about my browsing and downloading, but even with mcafee running on my pcs i still managed to get a few things (nothing serious) every now and then

basically pcs are still the most prevalent comps out there and the choice of business so they're great targets for viruses
Mame

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:30 am
The freezing is program (software) related - it often happens when I'm Skyping, for example. Just restart your Mac and all is fine.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 08:37 am
@Phoenix32890,
Without going into an analysis of your needs... I would say go with a Mac.

The biggest benefit I get from my Mac's is that I have confidence in their stability and reliability.

I would also recommend going to an Apple store and actually sitting down and using them for a while to see what you think. They have classes, but if you tell the sales dweebs that you are thinking about a Mac, but want to spend some time with one before switching, I bet they will spend hours with you showing their machines off.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 09:50 am
The learning curve for switching to a Mac is small because the operating systems of the to products are merging in terms of functionality. If you buy a new PC, you will get Windows 7 anyway so there is a small learning curve no matter what. That said, I just bought a very nice 64 bit Windows machine for my son for $500. A comparable Mac is $1000. The PC is very friendly for popping off the cover and installing my son's old hard drive. Mac not so much. If you are doing serious creative work (video editing, high end photoshop type work), the Mac software is generally superior. If you are doing basic family picture editing, the Mac software is a little better, but the PC tools are pretty good as well. If you are surfing, it doesn't matter. If you are running business apps like MS Office, the PC's are generally better. For what I run (surfing, business apps, pictures) there is no return for the extra cost so PC's for me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 10:48 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
What I like most about them is <snip> and how you just plug your computer or scanner or camera in and it finds the program and you're up and running in minutes - no downloading operating disks.

my last two pc's haven't needed operating disks - just plug in the cord/memory stick - the pc takes care of the rest
Mame

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 12:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Niiice... but my husband just bought a new computer and he had to install everything, so go figure.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 02:23 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Niiice... but my husband just bought a new computer
and he had to install everything, so go figure.
A Mac ?