Security vs. Humanity

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:34 pm
Given the man's harmless nature, and given that he is keeping his good fortune to himself, I think what you do depends on your status on campus.

If you are one of the guys using the shower room, and you don't mind and don't feel threatened, why not show the guy some kindness and leave him alone. That's what I'd do.

However, if you work for security, and it is your job to prevent unauthorized use of campus facilities or the presence of unauthorized people on campus, then you had better do something about it. At least take it up with your superior. Should anything untoward ever happen you'd be responsible.

If you are the president of the university, it is your job to enforce policy. I think it'd be your responsibility to secure the campus. This particular man may be harmless, but if you relax security so as to welcome the homeless, you will certainly attract people who are not harmless, or who will at the very least be a disruptive element.

I live in a university town that provides liberal facilities for the homeless and the hungry. They do not have to use university facilities; although, there is no doubt a bit more dignity in a quiet shower in the morning at the university than in the crowded shelter shower. You can't blame a person for wanting a little dignity.

It's a tough problem.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 11:33 pm
on briefly at home. gotta be up very early sat. morning, so friday eve. is shot.

the tangentially related murder was in an apartment building. the guy climbed up the balconies in the middle of the night. turned out during the trial just to be a complete lunatic; thought god and satan were doing battle through him or some such thing. it took a while before i dredged it out of my memory and made the connection with this thread.

fishin - good neigbors you've got.

hazlitt - thanks for posting. thankfully i'm not in a position, jobwise, where i have to do anything about it at all.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:06 am
Yo Patio

Is it my imagination -- or did I read a story very similar to this in "The Ethicist" column in the NY Times Magazine?

Did you submit this story to Randy Cohen -- the Ethicist?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 10:27 am
Nope. But given the massive layoffs in white collar jobs in the past year or two, I wouldn't be surprised if similar situations are cropping up all over (former execs living out of their cars in Silicon Valley and whatnot).

Haven't read the NYT Mag in a long time...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:50 pm
This particular man may be absolutely harmless, but he creates the undesirable precedent. If the other homeless people in the area learn from him about existence of such a shower facility, some of them may start coming as well. And you cannot be sure that all of them will overcome temptation to steal something...
0 Replies