George Henry Durrie print/Cider Making in the Country

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:16 am
I was given the above titled print recently. It is approx. 47.5"x23.5" inside the frame. Signed on the bottom right G.H. Durrie 1863. No dots visible, so I am not sure how this was created. Any ideas ? Needs to be cleaned and I would like to know where to begin. Should I remove the brown paper on the back for more clues to it's origin? Any info appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,604 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:25 am
@hotpress1,
you give absolutely no valuable information here. The only hint I can give is whether the signature seems to be signed in the plate or is it in pencil below the plate margins?
Is the plate mark easily visible as an indentation all around?
Is the work looking like it was a print of a black crayon drawing?
Are there lines or masses of tone or color?

In the 1800's there were
etchings, aquatints, mezzotints, woodblock (other block too), silk screens, lithograph,collagraphs,photprints,gesso prints, glue prints, stamping, and several others I havent remembered.

Theres a great old book that's still a BIBLE in printing. Its the COMPLETE PRINTMAKER by John Roass and Clare Romano. I used it when I was in art school and it gives a working understanding of all kinds of old style porints (where the artist had a working relationship ith the orint). Another technique in which the artist (Usually) had nothing to do with the oprint was a technique called LINE ENGRAVING.
Each of these styles leaves an easily recognized foot print and if you are interested in prints (REAL PRINTS) not this graphic or giclee crap they do today, then Id say get Ross and Romano.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 10:30 am
@hotpress1,
Durrie was an artist who was a favorite of Currier and Ives (who did the engraving of his paintings under a sales agreement) Some of them are valuable but just make sure that the number you have is size correct and not a second or fifth generation print.
Currier and Ives prints can go for as much as 20K if correct. SIze is the first step to valuation, If its a correct size (see ASK art dot com) then Id have it authenticated , otherwise it may be worth only a few bucks or the frame may be worth a lot, who knows.
lillyneilson

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
What is the correct size? I have a print #242, size 12" X 24". "Cidermaking in the country by G>M> Durrie. Fine art prints by Gillman.
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 04:11 pm
@lillyneilson,
thats your job. I said to inquire about the print at Ask ART, or some other web art service (or call your neighborhood U that has a print/graphic art department in their art school ) starting with a search for the print and its original source, perhaps you can find the complete print compilation of the work attributed to this artist and then compare the original size to the piece you have

What kind of print is oit?? Is it an etching, engraving, litho?
Youre gonna have to do your own homework on this. We can get you started .

0 Replies