what's the point of philosophy

Kala

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:04 am
Hi.

I'm writing an essay about the short introduction of this book (questions of life: an invitation to Philosophy) by Fernando

This is the link: (google books): http://alturl.com/ema4n

The thing is that I don't know where to start with the essay. So, could you please help me with the beginning and also a good title for the essay?

Also any tips or important things are welcome

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,943 • Replies: 24

G H

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 02:55 pm
@Kala,
Philosophy teaches you how to think (critically) and provided the original backbone for not only sorting knowledge but determining the approaches for acquiring it and what its limits were. From the book you're reading is this particular take-off point: "We want to know what the information means, how we should interpret it, how we should relate it to other bits of information..."

Haven't you already decided how to title the essay when you described this topic in the subject line?
0 Replies

longknowledge

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 12:57 am
@Kala,
Hi Kala,

In the Preface to the book you referred to, The Questions of Life: An Introduction to Philosophy, by Fernando Savater, there is a quote by José Ortega y Gasset from his book Meditations on Quijote that"philosophy should ideally be the opposite of the news item, of erudition." But Ortega, as he is usually referred to, in that same book states that "Philosophy is the science of love." The Introduction to Savater's book, on the other hand, focuses on the opposition between Philosophy and Science. Discuss.

longknowledge
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 08:59 pm

to get to the truth
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 12:25 am
The quest for oneself...
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 02:10 pm
@Kala,
The majority of philosophers waste time philosophizing, as they don't have the rationallity, knowledge and intelligence to make anything useful, just take a look around in this site and see how many idiots who rave and babble all day long.

Most here doesn't even know basic psycology, thus can't distinct skitzophrenic and simpleminded ramblings from anything that makes sense. It's really sad.

So in short, most are here to get mental mastrubation, like going to the local bingo hall for mere amusement.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 07:48 pm
@HexHammer,
I was hoping on that account that you would magically disappear from sight...but then you get to play the "Voyeur"...poor devil you... Mr. Green
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2011 11:34 pm
@HexHammer,
Hmm help me out here. Help me distinguish between skitzophranic and simpleminded ramblings ? Sorry for my simpleminded skitzophranic question Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 10:04 am
@HexHammer,
Im not sure of the exact wording. But Nash while in a asylum, Was asked by a visitor "proffessor your are this great mathematician, one of the brighest minds around, How could you believe these voices that tell you such things as alien life cominicating with you ( and named a few other dilusions he had) ? His reply "those are the same voices that made me this mathematician, soo why shouldnt I belive them? "
HexHammer

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:56 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
peter jeffrey cobb wrote:

Hmm help me out here. Help me distinguish between skitzophranic and simpleminded ramblings ? Sorry for my simpleminded skitzophranic question Smile
Google is your friend? Or are you too simpleminded for that? ..sorry couldn't help myself ^^
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 12:57 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,

Im not sure of the exact wording. But Nash while in a asylum, Was asked by a visitor "proffessor your are this great mathematician, one of the brighest minds around, How could you believe these voices that tell you such things as alien life cominicating with you ( and named a few other dilusions he had) ? His reply "those are the same voices that made me this mathematician, soo why shouldnt I belive them? "
...your point?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 04:45 pm
@HexHammer,
Hmmm that a few skitsos out there have interesting points of views, That are worth the time of a quick reading. Well that probaly goes the same for the simple minded people too Smile
HexHammer

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 05:22 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Are you serious or just wasting people's time?
failures art

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 05:34 am
The point of philosophy? I fond the question odd.

If you asked "what is the point of peanut butter?" I'm sure someone would reply that it is to be spread on something and eaten. That answer while intuitive and practical is no more valid than someone replying that the point of peanut butter is to grease your car axle.

Sorry if that's odd, but my point is that predetermined purpose for philosophy. I guess it depends on how you use it. Some may exercise philosophy and value it as something to be applied to life, others may use philosophy to look backwards and reflect on things.

So what to you need, and what do you have? Bread or a car axle? I'm sure you can find somewhere to put philosophy if your objective is to put it somewhere.

A
R
Then again, you don't have to
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:07 am
@HexHammer,
LOL im sorry. youre are right if dont have a PHD in a subject, Your point of view should discarded as uterely nonsense, And has no value to anyone. For scholars can only learn from other scholars. (meeh being sarcastic nooo how can you think that)
HexHammer

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:22 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

The point of philosophy? I fond the question odd.

If you asked "what is the point of peanut butter?" I'm sure someone would reply that it is to be spread on something and eaten. That answer while intuitive and practical is no more valid than someone replying that the point of peanut butter is to grease your car axle.

Sorry if that's odd, but my point is that predetermined purpose for philosophy. I guess it depends on how you use it. Some may exercise philosophy and value it as something to be applied to life, others may use philosophy to look backwards and reflect on things.

So what to you need, and what do you have? Bread or a car axle? I'm sure you can find somewhere to put philosophy if your objective is to put it somewhere.
So tell me, excatly how many philosophers are hired in the commercial areas of life? ...next to none? ...where has the todays philosophers actually root? ..what useful has these philosophers come up with as of late?

0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:22 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,

LOL im sorry. youre are right if dont have a PHD in a subject, Your point of view should discarded as uterely nonsense, And has no value to anyone. For scholars can only learn from other scholars. (meeh being sarcastic nooo how can you think that)
So you are just a troll.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:36 am
@HexHammer,
You are right I am completly of the subject. I though your racist remarks against people with a disease like mine, Well I found it provocative and instead of letting it ride and become another misconception of it. I felt like I needed to confront the subject head on. Well can you imagine someone saying " A terminal cancer patient point of view should be lesser because hes not thinking clearly" (wich at times may be true but not all the time) Well a few cancer patients may get outraged at that coment. Well Im sorry for trolling in this topic Smile
djjd62

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:40 am
what's the point of philosophy

when your tired of physical masturbation, try the mental kind

plus it's something to do after a bong hit other than eat Doritos
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 09:36 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,

You are right I am completly of the subject. I though your racist remarks against people with a disease like mine, Well I found it provocative and instead of letting it ride and become another misconception of it. I felt like I needed to confront the subject head on. Well can you imagine someone saying " A terminal cancer patient point of view should be lesser because hes not thinking clearly" (wich at times may be true but not all the time) Well a few cancer patients may get outraged at that coment. Well Im sorry for trolling in this topic Smile
It's ok ..I'll just put u on ignore.
0 Replies