Suggestions for a philosophy club

pdls

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 02:01 am
Hey guys,
I'm apart of a recently started philosophy club on a college campus. I'm trying to think of fun things we can do to exapnd our club in school and ways to reach out to the community as well. Last semester we did informal weekly meetings where we threw around various topics. We also had many professors hold different types of lectures related to different subjects. Now i'm looking to do things bigger.

The college is located in Florida. I'm thinking feild trips, conferences, guest speakers outside of our campus, and much more. Any other creative ideas we can do as a club, places we can go, or people we can ask to speak? All suggestions are welcome. Please, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks guys!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,965 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 07:01 am
@pdls,
Hmm reenact The Symposium?

Actually, heh, without the, erm, activity, why not? One could take the philosophical positions of the debaters such as Socrates, Alcibiades, etc. Spin them in other directions - and it could be fun if people wanted to even dress in togas (why not; you're in Florida. Here in Boston, we can't do togas until it's at least May).

I kinda wish there had been a club like this when I was in college (shniff).
0 Replies

mickalos

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 12:03 pm
The Oxford University Conservative Association has a weekly event called 'Port and Policy', in which members and non-members gather around a large table in a big old room and debate a motion. The Libertarian Society has a similar event called Rum & Rights. The moral of the story? Students like booze; if you serve it, they will come.

Cognac & Consequentialism
Wine & Wittgenstein
Ethanol & Ethics

The possibilities are endless.
0 Replies

Jiggerj

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 07:28 pm
@pdls,
I thought a philosophy club is where people come together to think deep thoughts? What you want is an Activities club.
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:20 pm
@pdls,
pdls wrote:

Hey guys,
I'm apart of a recently started philosophy club on a college campus. I'm trying to think of fun things we can do to exapnd our club in school and ways to reach out to the community as well. Last semester we did informal weekly meetings where we threw around various topics. We also had many professors hold different types of lectures related to different subjects. Now i'm looking to do things bigger.

The college is located in Florida. I'm thinking feild trips, conferences, guest speakers outside of our campus, and much more. Any other creative ideas we can do as a club, places we can go, or people we can ask to speak? All suggestions are welcome. Please, I need all the help I can get.

Thanks guys!!!

good , but remember the community is NOT use to philosophical thinking , take it slowly , don't go over their heads , otherwise you lose them and they won't come back

I know from experience , in my community , that , for the most part , it is hard for them to grasp what your thinking
0 Replies