I can't download photos from my iPhone!!!

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 01:34 am
Well I managed it once but I can't recall how I did it.

I have asked iTunes to sync photos with no success.

Any kind folk out there to assist this iVillage iDiot?

Goddess this is so embarrassing...

View best answer, chosen by dlowan
rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 05:06 am
@dlowan,
I have similar problems and am still trying to isolate the root cause.

Here are a couple of things to try though:

1 try plugging directly into the comPuter and bypassing the USB hub.
2 turn off syncing for photo's, then sync, then turn them back on again and sync again, it sometimes works.
3 go to the iTunes music folder and delete the cache. Then try sync again.

Some people think it is corrupted photos which cause the problem. Others think it's a USB hub issue.

Are you using a USB hub?
dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 05:26 am
@rosborne979,
Um...I am using a connector which I think is called a USb.

How would I connect directly with the computer without using a cable?
dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 08:51 am
bumping
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 12:02 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Um...I am using a connector which I think is called a USb.

How would I connect directly with the computer without using a cable?

Yes, you are using a USB cable. But are you plugging the other end of the cable directly into the computer itself, or are you plugging it into an intermediated device called a USB Hub? Some people are reporting that the USB Hubs are the cause of the problem (several different problems can arise, so this is unclear at this time).

I haven't had time to isolate the problem myself by trying HUB vs non-HUB connections. Also, the sync problems I'm having are intermittent so I can't always reproduce them to test them.

I'll post more when I know more.

Best Regards,
0 Replies

Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 12:11 pm
@dlowan,
Syncing photos in iTunes is not what you do when you want to get photos you took on your phone off the phone. It is what you do when you want to put your photo library from your computer on your phone.

When you plug in your iPhone you should be able to open a regular windows explorer window to browse the photos you have taken. You should be able to copy them to your computer just like you would from a memory card.

The key is knowing that the iphone camera does not directly put photos into your collection, they stay in a separate area until imported into your collection. The photo syncing in iTunes just references your collection and not your camera film roll.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 12:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Syncing photos in iTunes is not what you do when you want to get photos you took on your phone off the phone. It is what you do when you want to put your photo library from your computer on your phone.

When you plug in your iPhone you should be able to open a regular windows explorer window to browse the photos you have taken. You should be able to copy them to your computer just like you would from a memory card.

The key is knowing that the iphone camera does not directly put photos into your collection, they stay in a separate area until imported into your collection. The photo syncing in iTunes just references your collection and not your camera film roll.

Robert is correct about that. Perhaps I misunderstood your original problem because I'm having problems which sounded similar.

To get photo's "off" your iPhone, I would use the iPhoto program. It automatically recognizes your iPhone and will ask you if you want the photo's imported. That's the way I do it.

The problems I'm having are related to "syncing" photo's from my iPhoto library onto the iPod. I'm also having other syncing problems which I haven't completely identified yet.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 12:32 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
To get photo's "off" your iPhone, I would use the iPhoto program. It automatically recognizes your iPhone and will ask you if you want the photo's imported. That's the way I do it.

I think she is on a PC, but yeah, iPhoto is a great way to manage photos. On a PC there are programs like Google's Picasa but by default it's just windows explorer.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 12:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I think she is on a PC, but yeah, iPhoto is a great way to manage photos. On a PC there are programs like Google's Picasa but by default it's just windows explorer.

Ahhh, a PC, that does change things. I guess I made too many assumptions right from the beginning of this tech support issue Smile

I spent some time last night wrestling with my own iPod sync issues so when I saw this thread I just assumed it was a similar problem. But maybe not.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 12:42 pm
@rosborne979,
For you own issues I'd try removing all, syncing then adding it back and syncing.

That is, remove photos, music, videos and apps (you may want to do this as a separate step as this will cause data loss with apps) and sync then add them back.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 01:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

For you own issues I'd try removing all, syncing then adding it back and syncing.

That is, remove photos, music, videos and apps (you may want to do this as a separate step as this will cause data loss with apps) and sync then add them back.

I've done that, including resetting the iPod back to factory default. It corrects the problem one time around and things sync fine, but then the problem will return usually within a couple of syncs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 03:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you!!!!

I now have a large number of bad iPhone pix on my computer!!!
dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 03:47 pm
@rosborne979,
Thank you for trying to help Rosborne!
dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 04:09 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Thank you!!!!

I now have a large number of bad iPhone pix on my computer!!!

All of which I shall email to you in heartfelt gratitude!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 07:46 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Thank you for trying to help Rosborne!

Sorry I misunderstood the problem at first. Glad you got it working Smile
0 Replies

JohnOscar

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 09:18 pm
@dlowan,
You may download your photos without iTunes.
0 Replies

ShirleyRogers

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:25 am
@dlowan,
You can transfer your photos from your iPhone to PC. If you want to do this then just follow some steps
1. Connect your iPhone.

2. Open Photo Gallery. Click the "Start" button, and in the search box, type "photo gallery." In the results list, click "Photo Gallery."

3. Click the "Home" tab. When that opens, click "Import Photos."

4. Select your iPhone. In the "Import Photos and Videos" dialog, locate and click your iPhone, then click "Import."

5. Click "More options." Select where you want to save your photos and what format to use for folder and file names.

6. Select import method: Enable "Review, organize and group items to import," or "Import all new items now," and then click Next.

7. Finish up. After you review, organize, or assign tags to your photos, click "Import."
0 Replies