Can i use the bluetooth facility on my car with iPhone?

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:42 am
So,,,the car has bluretooth (whatever the hell that really is) capacity and I could potentially listen to music, for instance, from a phone as well as use hands free for the phone.

I have begun to look at the instructions and the connection thingies and none of it makes any sense to me.

Does the original iPhone have bluetooth capacity (couldn't find anything labelled bluetooth in the phones works)?

Can they potentially mate?

If so, what sort of courtship do they require?

I'd love to be able to play music from my phone in my car and stuff.

Pathetic Luddite in Adelaide.

PS I am sorry, but if any techie is kind enough to respond, can they possibly use the sort of English folk like me can comprehend in matters technical?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 18,747 • Replies: 22
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:48 am
Bluetooth is a wireless technology standard for exchanging data over short distances (using short wavelength radio transmissions) from fixed and mobile devices

check here as well
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1016129
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:10 am
@dadpad,
Beloved.

Can I do it or not?

If not, I don't need the details.

I have a lot to do with my remaining brain....I can't waste it on dead ends.
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:43 am
Quote:
Does the original iPhone have bluetooth capacity (couldn't find anything labelled bluetooth in the phones works)?

Yes.
The consensus seems to be that Iphone Bluetooth is for hands free headsets only.
This vid adequately describes how to find bluetooth settings. (The vid stops aand starts a bit)
http://yacast.dailymotion.com/video/xa0251_bluetooth-connectivity-tutorial-app_tech
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:45 am
Quote:

Doubtfull but insufficent info provided.
need tech specs for the car.

rosborne979

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:46 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Beloved.
Can I do it or not?
If not, I don't need the details.

Short answer... probably not. I think the iPhone only does BlueTooth as a mechanism for working with headsets, not playing music over the connection.

However, I think BlueTooth could be used for music if they wanted to program the iPhone that way, so it might be something which will be possible in future versions.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:05 am
@dlowan,
I found step by step instructions for pairing the iPhone bluetooth with a Prius. Not sure what model your car is, but it might work similarly?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10114971-233.html
Ceili

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:22 am
I have my iPhone synced in the truck, it works with the bluetooth thingy, and I use the handfree for phone calls. When i play music I though, I still use the cord. I'll have to check to see if it will work without it, I hadn't even contemplated not using the cord, hmmmm.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 12:31 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Can I do it or not?

There's one definitive way to find out. Try it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 12:45 pm
Read this:

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/04/02/streaming-iphone-via-bluetooth-in-the-car/

looks like you can
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:23 pm
@Ceili,
Thanks all....a cord doesn't bother me!!!

One of the cords supplied definitely won't connect.

I'll have to see if the other one does.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:23 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Quote:

Doubtfull but insufficent info provided.
need tech specs for the car.

Daihatsu Getz, 2007.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:27 pm
@Mame,
You sure can with an iPhone 3...mine's the original.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:27 pm
@Irishk,
Worth a shot! Though suspect my car is to a Prius as a toy car is to my car.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:46 pm
@dlowan,
Bluetooth is just a data protocol so it depends what you want to do with it.

The original iPhone can't do the A2DP protocol (this is for stereo audio streaming, or music over bluetooth) so you would need an attachment (i.e. a bluetooth transmitter that plugs into headphone jack). But your car may support simpler bluetooth "headset" functionality (basically to answer calls) and this limited functionality is something I would suspect you could get working.

As for listening to music I would recommend against wireless means as the audio quality is pretty bad. I still like it for the convenience sometimes (I have all sorts of bluetooth audio gadgets) but the music "skips" and stutters every now and then on them all. You can get an FM transmitter and that is also a pretty bad experience in a lot of places (with lots of radio signals).

There are audio receivers (the music player in your car) that have aux in jacks, they basically look like headphone jacks but if yours has that then just getting a male to male 3.5mm cord is all you need. Most other ways are not worth it IMO.
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:00 pm
some cars these days have a USB. I'm not sure that a 2007 model would have.
The port(s) i have seen are usually located on the radio someplace.
You can downlaod your music to am mp3 player and plug it in to that port.
My car doesnt have anywhere to plug anything in. Its a ford focus 2009.
no headphone jack or usb port.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I have two cords in the car....one is a usb cord but it wouldn't fit my phone...the other looks, indeed, like two headphone connectors.

I guess I'll see if I have a hole to stick it in, and if the other fits my phone and see what happens?

Fancy stuff like wireless doesn't matter to me.

I think it's fabulously amazing to have a CD player in the car.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:08 pm
@dlowan,
The USB input on most auto audio receivers is for USB thumb drives. You basically have mp3s (at least, some also play formats like iTunes and .wma as well) on a USB drive and it will play them. It usually won't read from an iphone unless the receiver has firmware to do so (and if so they usually advertise it). So USB is out, unless you want to copy your files to a USB drive.

As for the headphone jack looking ones, if one says something like "audio in" or "aux" (auxiliary input or variant) then it will accept any audio. You just plug a male to male 3.55 mm cord (the same kind as a standard headphone jack but with the male on both ends) into the iphone and into the auto audio receiver.
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 01:13 am
@Robert Gentel,
The iPhones folk seem to think it will work with the jack.

I'll have a go next time I get in the car.

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:13 am
@dlowan,
And we have MUSIC!
0 Replies