What are your favorite iPhone apps?

Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:18 am
I finally got around to getting an iPhone last week and so far the apps are what make the iPhone fun and I really like it as a gaming platform. I haven't really played this much in a long time and the iPhone is perfect for a casual gamer like myself.

So please share your favorite iPhone apps (especially games) in case I haven't heard of them. Here are some I recently liked:

Google Sync (free)

Not technically an app, but a service that is very useful. It gives you push sync (means add it on either and it shows up on the other quickly) between your phone contacts and calendar and Google contacts (gmail, or google apps for your domain) and Google Calendar.

Syncing is a core part of a smart phone and this is the most painless it can get, leaving all your contacts backed up online and accessible from any internet-connected computer. Mobile Me does the same but costs money, and this is a nice free service that immediately makes my phone useful (without the right sync I won't bother using a mobile calendar as I don't like entering data on the mobile and the desktop calendar isn't as good at reminding me of things wherever I am).

Dialer (free)

Free app that lets you dial by voice. E.g. "call tom smith" will search your contacts and call, which can be useful if you have a lot of contacts as the lack of tactile keys makes blind dialing harder.

Remote (free)

Lets you control iTunes on a desktop with your iPhone over wifi. Also lets guests vote on upcoming songs from the iTunes DJ, meaning anyone with an iPod touch or iPhone can vote on the music that is playing at your house.

Skype (free)

One of the best mobile VOIP clients I have seen (the versions I had for Pocket PC and Windows Mobile were horrid) and you can use this to chat or call Skype accounts for free or call phone numbers around the world cheaply. My cell phone is just for local use but I use skype phone numbers for my US calls and this lets me do that from the mobile.

Google Mobile, Talk etc (free)

If you are already using Google email, chat and document solutions then their apps and custom mobile pages for the iPhone let you take it with you.

Amazon Kindle for Iphone (free)

I am very interested in eventually going digital with books, and the Kindle and Kindle store sound like good options. This lets me test the library before buying a Kindle and though the small screen and back lighting make for a lot less reading comfort than a Kindle it was a lot better than I expected. Unfortunately the first thing I tried was a free short called "Serial" by Jack Kilborn which was one of the most disturbing bits of cheap writing I've read but I can't fault the app for that.

Google Reader (free)

Really just a mobile page but their RSS readers are clear winners to me on both the desktop and mobile and if you already use them on the desktop this is a no-brainer for your RSS solution on the mobile.

Lose It (free)

A nutrition, diet and exercise log. I'm trying to get more exercise and this is a pretty cool app. Overkill though, as it also serves as a calorie counter (with built-in food database) but I used a similar app years ago for that kind of thing (to undo a fast food diet) and it worked well for me and educated me a lot about nutrition and diet.

Real Soccer 2009 ($4.99)

Very well-done soccer game for a mobile. Lacking tactile feedback is a problem but the touch interface is well implemented and this is like a Wii-quality game on a mobile. Impressive!

Need for Speed Underground ($9.99)

Not just the best racing game hands down but I also think this is easily the best mobile game ever made in terms of graphics, depth and playability. I didn't think the accelerometer would work well (I don't like it to steer on the Wii) but it surprised me and if you like racing games it's pretty fun (even though the whole story line and underground theme are annoying to me, I just skip them).

Sims 3 ($9.99)

I always get bored of these games pretty quickly, and this was no exception but it's another one of those impressive graphical games from EA. It crashes a bit more than it should (though updates have made that a lot better) but it was surprisingly deep for a mobile game and more fun than I remember the desktop game being initially (it's simpler) but the cooking and fishing mini games get old fast.

Tap Defense (free)

Game concepts that work well in Flash tend to work well on the iPhone platform and one of my favorite flash games was tower defense. These are always fun till you finally beat the last level.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 11,203 • Replies: 26
Topic Closed
No top replies

farmerman

Tue 9 Jun, 2009 03:41 am
@Robert Gentel,
Theres an accelerometer built in to protect the phone from damage if you drop it. Theyve converted the accelerometer into an actual seismic station. You can generate all kinds of waves to demo propogating coupling/ standard, L waves/ etc. Tres cool.
maporsche

Tue 9 Jun, 2009 06:00 am
I'm currently wasting a lot of time playing Mafia live and Undead Live. I use a few of the news apps, bloomburg is my favorite.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Tue 9 Jun, 2009 08:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
I love the skype app

T
K
O
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Tue 9 Jun, 2009 09:00 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Theres an accelerometer built in to protect the phone from damage if you drop it. Theyve converted the accelerometer into an actual seismic station. You can generate all kinds of waves to demo propogating coupling/ standard, L waves/ etc. Tres cool.

Actually I think the accelerometer was built for such input in the first place and not to protect the phone. The phone doesn't have a hard drive to stop and there's really nothing at all it can do to protect itself from a fall.
0 Replies

djjd62

Tue 9 Jun, 2009 09:08 am
i love the cloaking device that makes my iphone look like this

http://www.handcellphone.com/wp-content/themes/green-marinee/phonepic/cell-phone-spec-pics/708/samsung-a640-cell-phone-review-1.jpg
0 Replies

HealthAngel

Tue 9 Jun, 2009 11:29 am
I have to say the navigation...I dont know how MANY lost situations it has gotten me out of...but that has to be my favorite...I know that there are more apps and some a lot more fun but the navigation is the one I use the most...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 9 Jun, 2009 03:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Favorites Games:
1. Gravulous (untimed exploding billiards)
2. Zen Bound (untimed spacial orientation)
3. Myst (This is the classic game ported to iPod)
4. iShoot (untimed trajectory targeting with tanks)
5. Edge (timed puzzle obstacle game)
6. Mouse About (timed move sequence game)
7. Ancient Frog (untimed move sequence game)
8. Flood-it (untimed)

Music:
1. Pandora (great for finding new music, uses the music genome project)
2. Flycast (Audio from around the world and more)

Info:
1. The Weather Channel (moving radar with pinch sizing)
2. BBCReader (good for reading news offline)
3. Bloomberg
4. I.TV
5. Now Playing

Utility/Reference:
1. iTranslate
2. Air Sharing
3. Graphing Calculator
4. WiFiFoFum (for locating wireless networks)
5. Speed Test
6. The Chemical Touch (Periodic Table of the Elements)
7. Constitution for iPhone (US Constitution)

Books:
1. Classics (collection of free classic novels)
2. (various free comic books)
0 Replies

HealthAngel

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
Pandora
Midomi (really cool how it can identify songs just by you humming/singing into the mic)
LED Banner (it's sort of pointless but fun at parties)
Ebay (the quick refresh comes in handy on the go lol)
Poof (gets rid of unnecessary icons)
Remote
Crash Bandicoot (childhood favorite, lol)
Sims 3

there's a lot of great apps but those are the ones off the top of my head...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:44 am
Currently -

Remote
All recipes
Google
Minesweeper
Accuweather forecast
Undead! Live
Tap Defense
Light bikes
Cube Runner
BART schedule
Notepad
Youtube
AwesomeBall
Glider
Katamari Damacy (RULES)
Stanza
Flashlight

I'm sure I can think of some more later.

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:12 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Dude, Remote and Flashlight are great.

I got a guitar tuner app the other day. Works good.

T
K
O
maporsche

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:46 am
@Diest TKO,
I like the flashlight.

There's a dog whistle application that it sort of fun to confuse the dogs with.

I've also been playing a game called Eliss that is pretty fun.

I also pretty frequently use the Facebook application.

Other than that, my app usage is pretty limited to the standard email, internet, notes, and GPS apps.
Cycloptichorn

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:49 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Dude, Remote and Flashlight are great.

I got a guitar tuner app the other day. Works good.

T
K
O

I have an Ipod touch - no mike. So a lot of the apps don't work as well as they should.

You Phone users should get Ocarina.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Wed 10 Jun, 2009 11:50 am
@maporsche,
ack the dog whistle!!!! I'm still young enough where I can still hear that **** and go crazy.

I hate that app! LOL

Yeah, I can't believe I forgot to mention Facebook, Twitter, Yelp and Urban Spoon apps.

T
K
O
rosborne979

Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:22 pm
Here's the best game app I've found yet...
dlowan

Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:37 pm
@Diest TKO,
I enjoy landing those damn jets, small planes and helicopters.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:22 pm
More apps I recommend:

eWallet - Store your passwords, pin numbers, etc. With the desktop software you can then sync and have your data securely stored on both phone and computer.

Pocket Money - A simple personal finance software that is powerful enough that I don't feel the need for a desktop solution.

Civilization Revolution - My favorite PC game of all time in a surprisingly playable mobile version. I'm a happy camper.

Shredder - The best chess app I've found. Adjusts itself automatically to your play, which makes games against an AI much more enjoyable (no fun to blow out the AI, or to have no chance).

Galcon - Like a real-time version of Risk. There are well known flash versions such as nanowar that describe it better than I can.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,

This sounds interesting.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:22 pm
@rosborne979,
Anyone who's got an iPod/iPhone really needs to try, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor. I think this is a groundbreaking App.

It reminds me of MYST in its relevance as a milestone in artistic gaming.
Robert Gentel

Mon 24 Aug, 2009 07:40 pm
@rosborne979,
Ok, if you put it that way I'll have to check it out.