Have any of us here been helped by welfare?

plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 05:50 pm
@Green Witch,
I told Arella Mae (above) that I worked as a welfare case worker. My team worked with people that were considered employable.

Several years ago, on these same boards, I enlightened someone huffing and puffing about welfare recipients by telling him the truth: that some recipients are people who lack sufficient intellect to hold a job. However, I worked for welfare in 1969-70 when a retail job could still maintain a family.

While there were women like Arella Mae's mom who used welfare as a springboard, there were women who had no idea how to be a worker largely because of the still lingering notion that women's place is in the home.

One client told me that she had been trained for jobs that don't exist, like salad girl at a restaurant. According to her, there was no such thing. I have some doubts about her statement, both now and then. I wondered then whether she went in search of work and asked to be a salad girl rather than a bus girl, but, that is water under the bridge.

Another client who dropped out of college to help her fiance through school (they married shortly after he dropped out. When he finished his degree, he left her with the kids.) complained that she was sent to "job centers" where she was taught how to be on time and how to punch a time card and how to use a cash register. As she said, she paid her ex-husband's tuition doing those things.

Today, the idea of training is more . . . fill in the blanks. Many jobs have disappeared when companies (shirt makers or furniture builders) moved overseas.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 05:54 pm
@Green Witch,
I've earned less than $20,000 for years. When things were at their lowest recently, I tried to get food stamps but could not because the money I had reserved to pay the mortgage (the last of the proceeds from the sale of my former home) which I held in a savings account made me ineligible.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 05:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd like to see the first accounting class taught in high school for the same reasons you cite.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Voting cicerone up!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:06 pm
@shewolfnm,
There is not a single thing that you posted that I disagree with.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:07 pm
@plainoldme,
Well, then please allow me to thank you for those women like my mom that you helped. Because of people like you my mom was able to take care of us and make something of herself.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've been following this thread and none of the names of posters here are names I would associate with dishonesty of any kind.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:27 pm
@Arella Mae,
You're welcome.

And, now, I would like to use your statement to say how I benefitted from welfare.

I met some fantastic women who were intelligent women and great mothers who put their children first. As a 22-year-old, very wet behind the years girl, I learned how to be a woman in large part because of my welfare mothers.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:40 pm
@plainoldme,
Isn't it amazing how things can work out?!
plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:45 pm
@Arella Mae,
You just never know, do you?
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:45 pm
@plainoldme,
Ya sure don't!
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 07:28 pm
Excellent read so far! Thank you everyone who has shared their experience. I appreciate how personal these stories can be.

I was never invited into household discussions on money as a child, but looking back I suspect that there was a period shortly after my little sister was born that my family had some form of state assistance for a few years. I've never asked outright though.

I think discussions on religion will only pull us away from the topic. I think Christians do believe in charity and social justice, but may have a different view of what that looks like. How much of that is due to the courtship of conservative politics is beyond me, but I think there is probably some sort of relationship.

A
R
T
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 07:29 pm
@failures art,
I agree and please accept my apologies for bringing that in.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 08:28 pm
@plainoldme,
Good for you - me neither
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:01 pm
Forgive me for being selfish, but I'm sad I haven't been able to read more in this thread. If it's simply finished, thanks to all that shared.

A
R
T
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:17 pm
@failures art,
I'm probably only pausing.
And others will see the thread.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Okay, osso, you paused long enough! Now, give us the true dope.
failures art

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah! Dope us!

A
R
T
0 Replies