what to get a 11 year old girl that wants everything

nickv4

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 09:17 pm
what do i but my 11 year old daughter who wants everything. i don't know what to do, i want all her wishes to come true but money is tight this year.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,524 • Replies: 14
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 09:24 pm
@nickv4,
Help us out by giving us a few details on her interests?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 09:31 pm
Get her off that track, that you probably got her on.

Does she have any interests outside of things?
nickv4

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 09:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
she loves my dirtbike, and being outside, dolls, her bike, and playing with her moms hair.
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 09:34 pm
@nickv4,
Seriously? Why not get her her own bank account. Start her off with, let's just say, $25 . Introduce her to the idea of savings. Help her to learn that when money is tight you need a 'rainy day' fund by teaching her how to budget and save for a rainy day. It'll pay off for the rest of her life.

She can buy anything she wants as long as she doesn't deplete the acount past, let's just, say $10.

Oh, and by the way, you will never be able to fulfill all her dreams.
nickv4

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 09:35 pm
@ossobuco,
no not really shes really into new things and having her way cause we always buy her the things she wants
nickv4

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 09:37 pm
@Ragman,
not a bad idea but the issue is the wife is completely into our kid and really babies her
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 09:43 pm
@nickv4,
And your point is..? Teaching them about savings is NOT being into them?
Parents HAD better be into their kids. Part of that being into their kids is to provide them the lessons and sense of responsibility and self reliance, isn't it?Have you no say in this matter?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 10:08 pm
@nickv4,
Go shop for them at the Goodwill or neighborhood thrift store. They may not be brand new, but they will be new to her. Put in some elbow grease and scrub them clean, add some fresh paint and anything else to brighten them up.

Since she likes being outside, get her a kid's gardening book, some hand tools, potting soil, seeds and some containers. Make it a hobby you can do together, outside.

By the way, Christmas Eve is just a tad late to be fretting about this, don't you think?
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 10:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
details, details!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 10:38 pm
@nickv4,
Dec 24 is a wee bit late to be trying to sort out what to do about Christmas....
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 11:50 pm
@nickv4,
I've always been honest with my kids and explain to them that there won't be any treats when the money is tight. When it comes to Christmas you don't do your kids any favours by buying them a whole lot of stuff they don't really need. They don't learn to value and respect the things they have. Its one thing I'd do differently with my kids if I was doing it again - have less things that they don't need and try and place more value on a few special items.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 02:57 pm
@Ragman,
good idea, Ragman..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:02 pm
@nickv4,
That's what I meant. I didn't mean to be mean, but always wanting new material things can put a kink in one's whole life. Not that I'm above it, I've always liked "things" too. I learned to channel that into interest in design; I probably would have liked industrial design as a field. Anyway, I've been low on money for the better part of my life and at some point learned - maybe in self protection - to like things in their place and not to want to have them all myself. Sort of like, "that jewelry store is keeping my rings for me". It was pretty freeing, but I didn't get fully that way until I was about forty.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 03:05 pm
@ossobuco,
thanks, Osso
0 Replies