I'm tired of trying

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:07 am
@dadpad,
Most of us can relate on that wavelength DP. The everyday treadmill (corporate/conglomerate/or other driven) is a discouraging and demeaning exercise that almost everyone has to go through or suffer the consequences of dropping out of the rat race. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I hope whatever particular mess has fallen on your head recently clears up for the new year.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:08 am
@dadpad,
The social contract between employer and employee has changed quite a bit in the last 15 to 20 years.

This is not to say that there ever was a Golden Age during which the loyalty of employees was recognized and returned in kind by all employers, but even for employers who are considered "good" by their employees, the concept of loyalty has changed considerably.

The development of a truly global economy has greatly increased the degree of competition employers must contend with to stay in business. Margins are thinner and room for error is much less.

"Carrying" employees until better times arrive was never easy for employers but it is that much more difficult now. Satisfied customers (employees themselves) are much quicker to trade familiarity and satisfaction for lower prices.

This doesn't mean employees should continue to comply with an outdated social contract with which employers cannot or will not comply. It does mean that they need to reconsider what is their fair contribution to the arrangement.

When someone gives you money to do a job, you should do as good a job as you can, as much for yourself as for your employer, but because an employer has been "good" to you for a long period of time doesn't mean that you owe him anything more than the work he is paying you for. If someone is willing to pay you more for the same work, the new social contract allows you to switch jobs without concern for leaving your former employer out on a limb.

Obviously each situation is different, and there is nothing wrong with someone feeling it is important to preserve a sense of loyalty to one's employer. It is also quite possible that such loyalty will still be rewarded in some situations, but overall, the new compact is based far more on the immediate present than the past.

It is also the case that irrespective of time periods and changing social contracts, there are employers and employees who act without ethics, and have little regard for honesty, honor or equity.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
the new compact is based far more on the immediate present than the past.

It would be nice if the compact was based upon the future, cause I am damn tired of getting lied to about the future by my employer and not getting paid wages promised.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:15 am
@hawkeye10,
Very few employers spend much time thinking about the future. They're too busy trying to survive the present.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 12:53 am
@dadpad,
Glad you posted something. Also glad the home front is secure. I think we've all had some special employers at one time or another.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 01:22 am
@dadpad,
Bugger!!!!!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 04:15 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Nothing to do with anyone here and definitly nothing to do with my beautiful wife.
Everything to do with being used up dumped and screwed over by employers.

Nothing but sympathy from me, dadpad. I've spent the last year discovering the novel and creative ways our bosses have been giving it to us up the poop chute without our knowledge. I just handed in my resignation last Monday. Unfortunately, I had to be polite because this contract doesn't expire until the end of February. Evil or Very Mad

Hope things look up for you soon, man.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 10:20 am
@dadpad,
*whew*

Don't worry us like that!!!

Sorry about the employer situation though.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 01:32 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Nothing to do with anyone here and definitly nothing to do with my beautiful wife.
Everything to do with being used up dumped and screwed over by employers.

I've been there dadpad. The two most important goals for you should be maintaining financial security for you and your family, and preserving confidence in yourself.

If you've not been through this before, I can tell you (as I'm sure many other posters can as well) that when you come out the other side of this, the chances are great that not only will you be OK, but that you will be in a better place.

No doubt about it though...when you're in the middle of it, it sucks.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 06:58 pm
Well said Finn. Things were different 20 years ago. Business is much more competitive these days, much less available to share.

At the end of most of my working life one of my regrets is that I never took the chance of working for myself. I did work for a small company at one time, 5 employees, and found it much more rewarding and it taught me a lot about the simple decisions in business. I also found out how hard it can be to keep a business going. Harder work, bigger rewards. I never did like the politics in a larger company.

As usual my advice may be a bit crusty. I don't mean it to place blame, just advice from an old fart.

Always do our best, (sounds like a boy scout), and when you don't think that is enough, or not appreciated, move on.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 11:47 pm
Thank god it's nothing serious! I was so worried!

Come to think of it, I don't believe in god.
FBM

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 12:21 am
@spidergal,
Yeah, it could have been something much worse, but it sounds like it's pretty serious to dadpad, tho.
0 Replies

Jiggerj

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 05:47 pm
@dadpad,
It's like trying to stop smoking cigarettes. I've tried the patch, gum, pill, and cold turkey. Nothing worked. So, I decided to quit trying to quit. It's been tough, but I'm hangin' in there. It's all about willpower.
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:32 am
@dadpad,
Just saw this thread, I know it is old but I am happy to have you as my friend.
dadpad

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 05:33 am
@NettieK,
Thank you.
0 Replies