Lobster tails: boil, steam or bake?

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 12:01 pm
I've never cooked lobster before. Now I have some tails that need cooking.

What is your favorite way to cook lobster?

Ragman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 12:14 pm
@boomerang,
If you already have the meat, then I like it baked or baked and stuffed best. Some like to bread (use seasoned crumbs) with lemon..etc.

However, here's a lobster tail recipe I just d/l from 'net:
http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/2586/italian-stuffed-lobster-tails.html

Ingredients:

4 8-oz. frozen lobster tails
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 7 1/2-oz. can tomatoes, cut up
2 tablespoons snipped parsley
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
[/size]

Directions:

Cook lobster tails in boiling salted water to cover about 10 minutes or 'til done. Drain; remove meat from shells. coarsely chop meat; set meat and shells aside. In saucepan cook garlic in oil 'til just lightly browned. Stir in undrained tomatoes, parsley, tomato paste, basil, salt, and pepper.

Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or 'til slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in half of the parmesan cheese, the bread crumbs and lobster meat.

Mound mixture in shells. Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese. Broil 5 inches from heat for 6 to 8 minutes or 'til heated through.

Makes 4 servings."
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 01:24 pm
@boomerang,
split the shells of the tails, put a little butter* inside, and bake on low heat.

smallish ones are excellent on the cool side of the grill...(in a pie pan with some butter)

* if you use margarine for this, give up and go to red lobster
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 01:28 pm
@boomerang,
Steam the lobster whole in some seaweed along with some clams and and sausage.

I have never cooked it myself but I used to love eating it baked and stuffed when I worked at the Oregon Club, a private restaurant run by a first generation American/depression era survivor John Briasco.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 04:29 am
Steaming them would be good. (I know, i know, you've probably dealt with them by now.) It's simple and fast, and lobster in butter is the best--anything else would probably be gilding the lily. Ragman's recipe looks good, but for that, you could use frozen lobster meat. If you've got fresh lobster, boiling, steaming or baking is the best way to go--keep it simple.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 10:56 am
Oooops. This thread got away from me. Thanks all, for your replies.

The tails are frozen. I went to the big fish market to get some crab and salmon the other day and they had Maine lobster tails that looked delicious so I decided I'd get some to cook for today.

That recipe sounds great but I must confess I have this weird thing about chicken of seafood or fish mixed with tomatoes. I don't know what's wrong with me.
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 11:18 am
@boomerang,
shrug.

Wishing you bon appetit (in my best Julia Child impersonation)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 03:31 pm
Boomerang, this is my favourite recipe for broiled lobster tails. I found it online years ago in the Orlando Sentinel. It's my never-fail recipe.

4 9-10 ounce lobster tails
2 oz. clarified butter
2 oz. garlic herb butter

Once the tails are thawed, place soft belly side down on cutting board with the tail end away from you. Using sharp kitchen shears, cut through the shell down the middle of the tail. At the natural end point make two cuts to the right and left of the centre cut, again through the shell, to firm a "T". Turn the tail around so that the exposed lobster meat is away from you, grasp the shell with both hands, thumbs at the centre, gently crack the shell open, exposing the meat within. It is now possible to pull the meat from the shell without completely disconnecting it, allowing you to cook and serve the lobster on top of the shell. Gently pull the meat from the shell until you reach the "T" in your cut. The shell will naturally close on itself, allowing the meat to rest, still attached, on top of the shell. Carefully butterfly the tail so that the thickness is relatively even throughout and spread the tail meat open like a book over the shell. Fan open the tail fins of the shell for balance.

Place the tails in a broiling pan, brush the meat with melted butter and pour in water to 1/2 inch. Place in preheated 375 F oven and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the meat is thoroughly cooked and no longer opaque. Slather with garlic herb butter.
boomerang

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 05:33 pm
@mckenzie,
Hi mckenzie!

Did you get a new dog? Didn't your avatar used to be a.... cocker spaniel?

Thanks! I think I'm going to try this tonight.

My lobster tails are smaller (6oz) so I'm thinking I should reduce the cooking time to 7 to 10 minutes. Does that sound about right?

Also, should you skewer the tails to keep them from curling up? I read that on some other baked lobster recipes but they were cooked in a split shell.
mckenzie

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 05:08 pm
@boomerang,
Hi, Boomerang.

I first thought you were thinking of someone else. Then I remembered. For a long time I had "Lady" from Lady and the Tramp as my avatar. This one is our real pooch. He's almost 10 years old.

Sorry, I didn't get back to the computer yesterday. I was killing time at the computer, waiting for family to arrive for Christmas dinner.

I use the time as a guideline and check the tails often. As soon as the centre of a tail turns opaque I pull it out of the oven right away, even if the others aren't ready. Otherwise, it gets tough.

I've never skewered them. If they're not overcooked, they shouldn't curl much.

I'm anxious to hear how they turned out!
0 Replies