Cooking Live Lobster

RexRed

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:39 pm
A friend of mine told me he could get some lobsters right off the boat. I thought how much I love eating lobster and didn’t give it a thought and told him to get me 6 lobsters. Well he did and brought them over in a bag. The minute he walked in with them some kind of fear flooded my emotions. I was not sure what that fear was but I paid him and he left me with the lobsters.

Earlier that day I promised two of them to a friend and I put two of them in a bag. While transferring them I was shocked at how alive and they almost seemed like a rodent or a large scorpion. I brought two of them and left them off with a friend. I felt like I was leaving off kittens or a pet. It was a very strange experience giving away something alive, especially knowing they were going to cook and eat them. Suddenly I felt a bad karma experience coming on.

I realized I had four very large living creatures stuffed in a bag and concealed in my vegetable drawer in the fridge. Well I became very worried I was not going to be able to go through with it.

I thought about possibly calling friend and having them come over and cook them for me. Then I thought that would be cowardly. I started to get really sad and confused about why life is like this. How I don’t even like to cut down a tree and I am the one who think plants can hear, I love watching ants and there is a lobster looking out of the bag at me with these beady black eyes. My first thought was to think this lobster could not see me. Why would I think he could not see me when he had big eyes looking right at me.

I got the water boiling and tried to grab his back while he was in the bag but he was ready and tried to get away and was slippery.

So I grabbed some tongs and a strainer. The lobster’s tail was flipping and he was fighting for quite a while stretching out as big as he could THIS LOBSTER PUT UPA FIGHT! I grabbed him by the tail with the tongs and it flipped into the hot water upside down on his back. I quickly put the lid over it.

I though earlier I would not watch them boil but something made me lift the lid and look.

The lobster’s tail was flipping and it was fighting for quite a while I felt really really bad.

I wondered if this was murder or barbarism or both? Why is life designed like this?

I opened up the lid after I thought the lobster was done cooking and my what a pretty color RED!

Next time I will take them down to the beach and set them free…

I just cannot get past that my face was the last face they saw.

I was a bad karma thing.

Boiling the last lobster was as hard as the first…

I used to boil lobsters as a short order cook in restaurant every day for a couple years. I guess I am just getting soft shelled in my old age.

The little bag that they were brought in with is empty and they are all four laying on the table steaming cooling down. Best to make the most of it.

If they could have made more sounds I would not have been able to have gone through with it but all they did was foam and make bubbling sounds.

The first one fought me so hard it brought me to tears, I wonder if my own will to live is that great?

I will never ever buy lobster like this again. I will stick with clams and scallops and lobster already prepared and out of shell.. I am not cut out for this sort of thing. They are beautiful sitting on the table and I will certainly not let this feast go unappreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 22 • Views: 7,991 • Replies: 84
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:46 pm
You're reminding me of Homer...

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:49 pm
@RexRed,
Plunge them in head first. They only scream for a moment.
mismi

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:50 pm
@JPB,
Egads....that story almost made me want to become a vegetarian.

JPB! that's SHOCKING Wink
JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:55 pm
@mismi,
heheh -- Here in the midwest cooking live lobsters at home is a novelty. When I was growing up in New England we had them at home when we could afford them.

A few years ago I was standing at the fish counter of the local grocery and they had a temporary lobster tank and were selling live lobsters. A very squeamish couple was debating whether or not to try cooking them at home (they'd never dealt with live lobsters). The fish counter guy gave them all the specifics on how to cook them but I could tell from the looks on their faces that they weren't too excited about the idea. I gave them that same line about only screaming for a minute. I thought the woman was going to faint. They decided against cooking live lobsters at home.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:56 pm
Aren't you supposed to put them in the freezer until they go to sleep? I hope the shivering doesn't make the meat tough!

<I'm not a fan of lobster!>
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:57 pm
@RexRed,
With due respect you as a cook should know better how to boil a lobster! A live lobster ought to be drowned in fresh water first and then cooked in seawater. No hassles with that procedure besides the lobster won't fall apart as per your method. I'll have one for dinner tonight. Smile
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:58 pm
mmmmmm lobster
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:00 pm
@Dutchy,
Drowned? Frozen? You people are cruel!
Rockhead

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:00 pm
@JPB,
yep, pass the butter please...
JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:01 pm
@Rockhead,
mmmmmmm butter!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:06 pm
I confess that I can't do it. I can't stand the thought of plunging a live creature into boiling water. Though I am a good shot, I can't hunt for sport or food for fear that the shot will leave the creature injured and in pain. I am not a vegetarian and can tolerate the thought of a quick and painless humane execution of an edible creature who never knew what hit him or her, but on the theory that the lobster does feel pain in the process, I can't cook one. And I no longer order them in the restaurant either because I feel guilty.

I am not judgmental towards those who do though.

Fox (I try to let the wasp out of the house so I don't have to swat it) Fyre
Dutchy

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:08 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre read my post, you DON'T plunge a live lobster into boiling water, never ever! Smile
JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:08 pm
@Dutchy,
Oh, Yes You Do! Head First.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:09 pm
@Foxfyre,
s'ok, foxy. I don't eat veal. To each his own.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:10 pm
@Dutchy,
Dutchy, I want to believe you. But drowning the poor thing and prolonging its suffering in fresh water doesn't really strike me as a whole lot more humane.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:10 pm
@JPB,
I can't eat veal either JPB.

I have one kid who will eat only free range chickens or eggs from free range chickens, free range beef, free range pork, etc. etc. purely because of the humane aspects of how the animals are raised. I'll admit that I am not that hard nosed about it, but I do like to think that the animals that are sacrificed to produce a scrumptious pot roast or a plate of fried chicken were not mistreated and did not suffer in any way.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:11 pm
@RexRed,
I'm off on a 10-day cruise the middle of next week to Mexico, and look forward to having some lobsters. Wink
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:12 pm
@Foxfyre,
It's WORSE by far -- poor little bug.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 04:14 pm
@Foxfyre,
yer funny!