what does this mean?

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:31 am
If we can all hanf form the pendulum while it is at irs mid-point,perhaps we can slow down its inevitable movement. Maybe we can even tip it back a little to a less complicated world where you can interact with real people on the telephone,where ,if you call you broker or your bank, you don't end up somewhere in Ohio.
What does this paragraph mean?
thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 474 • Replies: 8
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 03:30 pm
@zhanglizoe,

It's a mix of metaphor and imagery.Not a good text for a learner to study.

"Hang from the pendulum at its mid-point" in order to "slow down its movement" is a desire to make daily life less complicated. Apparently.
contrex

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 03:41 pm
He has already asked this question.

McTag

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 03:42 pm
@contrex,

So the answer he got was.......
0 Replies

zhanglizoe

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 10:25 pm
@McTag,
could you give me a further explanation about these two sentences as :where you can interact with real people on the telephone,where ,if you call you broker or your bank, you don't end up somewhere in Ohio.
what the two "where" mean?
McTag

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:38 am
@zhanglizoe,

"A world where" means "a world in which".

The writer is describing an ideal, imaginary situation, an ideal world in which for instance, when you make a phone call to your local bank for assistance or information, the call is not automatically transferred to a call-centre somewhere else.
zhanglizoe

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 05:41 am
@McTag,
thank you so much. I have been thinking so long and you have helped me out.
how about this one following that"where self-confessed killers are not set free because somnebody forgot to read them their rights.
engineer

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:32 am
@zhanglizoe,
Part of the US legal system is a requirement that those arrested are read a list of rights so that they understand they can get a lawyer, etc. If the police do not read a suspect his rights, the suspect will be released by the courts. The author is making up a situation where someone who is obviously guilty "self-confessed killer" is released on a technicality.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:42 am
@contrex,
No, this question was previously asked by Miss Penny Chan. Apparently, they are working from the same material.
0 Replies