Movies on Christmas anyone? How about New Year's Day?

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 02:13 pm
Whether you're Jewish, Buddhist, Scientologist, Atheist, nonpracting Christian, practicing Christian:
Anyone going to the movie theater on Christmas Day? Anyone have a tradition to watch a specific movie or set of films at home on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Or do you plan to go to the movies with your family and/or friends on New Year's Eve? New Year's Day?

Watcha' plannin' on seein'?

I'm planning to go see True Grit and/or the French animated film The Illusionist this Christmas.
http://i55.tinypic.com/11jtzx4.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/8ydj7q.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 6,353 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 02:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't understand the "tradition" of going to the movies on Christmas. Every year my brother-in-law wants everyone to go and every year (except last year) I refuse.

We saw Sherlock Holmes last year and I though it was great but there are 364 other days in the year when I can go to the movies. Personally, I feel like it cheapens Christmas, but that's just me. I know that millions regularly go to the movies on Christmas.

If I were to go this year though, True Grit would be a great choice.

I'm usually too hung over to go to the movies on New Year's Day and besides, I spend that day taking Christmas decorations down.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:46 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Since Jewish SHabbaz and Christmas occur on a same day this year does that mean that movies and Chinese restaurants will lose out?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 09:29 pm
I used to work in a movie theatre and it always pissed me off when they asked me to work on Christmas. Seriously, why? Can't we just have one day off from the rat race? I'd rather watch a video if it had to come to that...
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 09:17 am
@Ceili,
I've worked in many a job that forced workers to work on major national holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, New Year's Eve, etc...) but when people complain that they have to work these days, I always counter with they have months ahead of that day to ask for it off. I always had managers who agreed months ahead on these requests and if they can't find someone to fill the shift? Tough luck on their account, they already promised in writing.

I had a manager try to schedule me during the Christmas week when I already gave my 4 months notice for my vacation that week. He already approved at the time and had to swallow his own mistake and let me go on my merry way.
Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think for those that do not celebrate Christian holidays, it has become a tradition. A Jewish friend of mine always goes out for Chinese food and a movie on Christmas. He and his family have the day off from work so they use this time as a family event.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:22 am
@tsarstepan,
I used to work at a nursing home when I was in high school. I worked in the kitchen so of course they had to have people prepare, serve and clean up for the residents. I would always volunteer way a head of time so I could work the late shift - which was shorter and would allow me to spend most of Christmas day with my family. I got paid double time and it was easier as most had a big dinner earlier so supper was always a breeze.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:30 am
gonna watch Land Girls on Christmas day
ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:17 am
@tsarstepan,
We used to watch dvd's on Christmas Day at the hamburgers. The big event was on Christmas Eve, so Christmas Day was time that needed to be filled. I tried to make it a tradition to watch Best in Show the last few years. I'm not sure I really convinced anyone.

The big Tim Burton exhibition is in Toronto over the holidays - a few friends are planning to go on either Christmas Day or New Years Day. I'm mulling going along, though there's a pretty high stack of dvd's at home that I haven't bothered to watch yet.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:42 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I'm planning to go see True Grit and/or the French animated film The Illusionist this Christmas.
http://i55.tinypic.com/11jtzx4.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/8ydj7q.jpg

As a personal favor to me, tsar, please stay to read all the end credits when you watch the new True Grit. You should see my daughter's name, Katrina Wandel, listed as one of the casting assistants.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:43 am
@djjd62,
Dj? Is this some kind of annual tradition? TV marathons?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:44 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

As a personal favor to me, tsar, please stay to read all the end credits when you watch the new True Grit. You should see my daughter's name, Katrina Wandel, listed as one of the casting assistants.

SIR!! Mission accepted! SIR!!
djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:46 am
@tsarstepan,
nope, just bought it the other day (yes, you read that right Wink ) and looking forward to watching it on Xmas, just gonna be my mom and me, and we both love brit tv
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:46 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks! I really appreciate it!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:53 am
@wandeljw,
Aw, that's cool, wandel!

We probably won't go out to any movies but Christmas break tends to be a time of movie-watching, whether on TV (as in, whatever's on) or DVDs. We watched "Babies" yesterday, it was lovely! We really enjoyed it.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 12:12 pm
After I got married and before I had children, we were living in Philadelphia and we would go downtown together, split up, shop for each other and meet at around 5 in our favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner. Then we'd go home, wrap our presents and then I'd go to church - he might or might not go with me.
We did that for four years- that plan didn't work so well once we had children- so that was the end of that tradition- although I do still love the thought of Chinese food on Christmas eve. It's always a busy day and it's nice not to have to cook a meal and clean it up along with all the other last minute things you've got to do.

I only went to one movie on Christmas and that was the first Harry Potter movie which my children were DYING to see at the time. I took them with a friend of my son's who was also my student who didn't have a family - and he'd spent Christmas eve and Christmas day with us. They loved it - I fell alseep. Their father was working in the ER that Christmas - otherwise he'd have taken them and I'd have taken a walk or just stayed home and cleaned up the house and taken a nap or something.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 05:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://i53.tinypic.com/zxsaav.jpg
Got my ticket for The Illusionist. That's how I will be celebrating my Noel Day.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 06:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
Less than a half hour to the next screening of True Grit. Report back with my minireview plus the Wandel report! :-)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 06:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Waiting to hear about The Illusionist.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 09:12 pm
Be proud Mr. Wandel. I saw it clear as day: Katrina Wandel! Casting assistant!