Can "the" be omitted?

fansy

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 07:29 am
Quote:
What is worth digesting is that prior to President Dmitry Medvedev’s visit, the U.S. mainstream media made a publicity of the so-called “Report on Secret Diplomacy,” producing an effect that Medvedev “was inclined to strengthen the Russia-U.S. relationship.” But as soon as Medvedev had wrapped up his American visit, the United States announced that it had ferreted out a large number of Russian spies, pointing directly to the KGB. Russia is especially alert to this. Some media and knowledgeable persons point out sharply that this is no ordinary event; rather, it is a “well-schemed,” “smart arrangement,” with some form of coordination from the pro-American forces within Russia. Its purpose is clear: to sow discord between members of the Russian leadership, to undermine Medvedev-Putin combination, while also sabotaging the Russia-China strategic partnership.

Can we omit the definite article "the" from the above places?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,648 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 07:31 am
I would not advise doing so.
contrex

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 11:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I would not advise doing so.

Unless you wish to sound like a comedy-show Russian. "In Soviet Russia definite article omits you!"
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 05:25 pm
@fansy,
When you encounter these doubts, Fansy, ask yourself if it's a specific reference.
0 Replies