Is the grammar correct here?

fansy

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 07:25 am
Quote:
In recent months, there has been an apparent relaxation and improvement of the otherwise intense relationship between the United States and Russia. Both sides have extended olive branches to the other, to START again the achievements having been made over the past year or so.

I'd like to know if grammar at the above two places correct?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,252 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 07:39 am
The entire passage is badly written and needs to be re-done. For example, intense relationship is nonsensical in context--it should be "tense relationship." The second section of the second sentence, after the bold-faced portion, is ridiculous.

In recent months, there has been an apparent relaxation of and improvement in the otherwise tense relationship between the United States and Russia. Both sides have extended an olive branch . . .

. . . and then i don't know what to do with the rest, because it doesn't really make much sense. By the way, START, rendered in that manner in all capital letters, is the acronym for negotiations between the United States and Russia. It means "strategic arms reduction treaty," and so far, two such treaties have been negotiated. Another such treaty is in contemplation. If that use was an attempt to introduce a light-hearted note through the use of a pun, it is badly misplaced.
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 09:17 pm
@Setanta,
Yes, Fansy, the entire piece is grammatical. Is there something in particular that seems "strange" to you?

I'd like to know if grammar at the above two places correct?

I'd like to know if the grammar at the above two places is correct?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's not what Fansy asked you, Setanta. I know that you don't feel competent to do grammar, but Fansy want to know about this example.

By your own admission, you are not privy to what was in the writer's mind so for you to suggest changes is pretty dumb. And you even know it for you made only one lousy attempt. That relationship could easily be described as 'intense'.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 10:12 pm
@fansy,
Yes, the grammer is correct enough though too busy, and Setanta is full of it, and yours needs work...
JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 10:26 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
Yes, the grammer is correct enough though too busy,

How might grammar be "too busy"?

Quote:
and Setanta is full of it,

Many times, yes he is.

Quote:
and yours needs work...

For example.