Letty

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 06:32 pm
Phoenix...and cute you are. When a downstairs maid serves eggs, something tells me that no one cares what they taste like.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:17 pm
I liked poached or soft boiled the best.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:23 pm
I like mine fried in lard.

Mmm, lard . . .
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:56 pm
Over easy on low heat that slowly cooks the whites to a solid form without scorching while cooking the yolk to a creamy state. Turn it out onto a hot buttered English muffin half and break the yolk to let the muffin soak up all that yummy yolkness.

Also, baked with a sprinkle of tarragon and garlic on top.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:03 pm
Hey, all. Thanks for your responses. I just had a sci fi moment. When the delivery boy came with the stuff, I was aghast to see ants on my stoop...up the side of my house...running inside...just spent a frantic moment trying to get rid of them......

Goodnight, from Anty Letty...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:51 pm
On Cisco Kid on old time radio, Pancho called them "strangled eggs."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:52 pm
Eek, ants!

I am not much of a cook, but scrambled eggs I can do. Light, fluffy. Milk, though. (Didn't know the tap water trick, should try that.) I use olive oil. (Wince -- awaiting ruler rap over knuckles or worse.) Stir 'em fast with a fork, start warming up pan, stir in milk, get it a tiny bit frothy, when you can see the pattern of the burners in the pan, pour it in, let it sit just until the edges firm up, then stir it around. (Edges toward center, let the liquid stuff ooze out towards edges.) No salt or pepper or any seasonings. Pay close attention, make sure it doesn't stick or burn, keep stirring in a kind of fluffy way (I know this makes no sense), then done pretty quickly.

Then maybe salt or pepper, or just plain. Good cheese on top is fine if it's on hand.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:56 pm
I like hard HARD fried eggs with crispy edges. Preferably fried in olive oil. Next would be my dad's eggbeater-spinach-soy cheese omelets with vegie bacon on the side.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 09:21 pm
See Phoenix's eggsample ... I know where I'm eating breakfast!!!

Laughing Cool Laughing
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:12 pm
Very Happy

First off, which end of the egg is broken is important. Really it is! I was once a little endian... allowed the egg to trickle out the small hole... but impatience bore down on me and I converted to big endian. Now poised at the midpoint of my life (unless of course that's wishful thinking) I break my eggs in the middle.

Now, how to properly scramble... a centrifuge, the sort used for seperating blood serum, seems overkill, a fork seems, well, so hum drum. Between these extremes: I find it good to hire a professional hula dancer, attach the eggs to her coconut bra and play a medium tempo sort of tune for her gyrations. Makes for a gently scrambled egg, y'know.

Once scrambled, the trick is how properly to raise the temperature of the concoction. A small, linear driven nuclear driven steam turbine can generate enough heat to cook several million eggs. But my appetite is not up to this. A match held under the frying pan burns the fingers before it has much impact on the eggy goo. So I settle for medium heat from a gas burner.

When do I know the eggs are done? When they do not stretch more than six inches. That's my basic criteria.

Hope this has been helpful.

Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 09:39 am
Well, Good morning to all you egg heads. Very Happy

Hey, beedle. Great to see you back and loved your uncomplicated instructions on the apparatus needed to get the egg just right.(oh, yes. one must know which end of the hard boiled egg to crack)

Infrablue, Lard! My word. My mom did all her cookin' in lard and lived to be 93. Couldn't scramble an egg worth a damn, however. Very Happy

colorbook, LittleK, edgar, Soz, and sweet Misti, how do you like your eggs in the mornin'? Laughing I'm having cereal in just a moment. The ant episode last night was too odd. All seems under control now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:35 pm
I eat eggs for my dinner about once a week, fried, over medium.
For breakfast I eat a cereal of several grains, mixed with nuts, dates and whatever strikes my fancy, cooked, with a topping of blended flax oil and cottage cheese.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:41 pm
I like my eggs over easy, but i have a hell of a time makin them that way. I always have to cook and extra egg or two because i know that at least one yolk will break....lol
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 07:22 pm
Kerver and edgar, I think we just gave a boost to the incredible, edible egg..

Jes, Don't you dare move this thread! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 10:22 pm
I am very picky about my eggs. It is hard for me to order them in restaurants because I want them well mixed but not "well done". NO ONE AT ALL understands. No, I don't want them beaten to death but I do not want to see islands of egg white lying about. Gag city. (leftover from childhood).

Neither do I want them dry, much less do I want them 'burny".

Explaining is useless. I find a good restaurant scrambled egg by sheer random chance - that is fractionally more successful.

In my own kitchen I mix them with a whisk, add a tad of water or milk, occasionally a few drops of some mexican chili sauce put a little butter in the pan. I might have used olive oil instead of butter. Cook sort of slow, stir in a fluffy way with a fork, add salt near end, put on warm plate (30 seconds micro) and eat. On a leisurely day, I might have tortillas heating in another pan - I like them nice and HOT - and wrap the eggs in them, possibly adding chopped olives. Dip end of tortilla roll in some nice cold sour cream (um, chives? capers?) and scarf down. I never cook the same way twice, so "conditions may vary".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 05:15 am
Ossa, It's easy to see that you are an artist, and I do like your style.

Good morning, all
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 07:30 am
Mornin' Miss Letty . . .

Later on, i'm agonna go treat myself to breakfast at a diner: three eggses (over-easy or poached, i ain't decided yet), hash browned potatoes, pork chops, flapjacks, coffee, oj . . . hmmm . . . not much food there, i gotta figure out what else i'm agonna eat . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 07:34 am
<note tO self - remind mrs. hamburger to bring in a case of eggs>

Shocked
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:01 am
Mornin' Mr. Dimples with Beth in TO.. Laughing

Guess what I'm fixin' for brunch? Lord have mercy, I think I'm hungry.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:11 am
<sigh>

Mr. D is still in MudSock. Very sad, that.
0 Replies