tsarstepan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 02:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Black Swan,” meanwhile, will add 15 additional markets, and expand to 60-70 theaters, followed by a national release on December 22 that will reach some 900-1,000 theaters, according to Fox Searchlight executive VP of distribution Sheila DeLoach.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/06/are-black-swan-and-the-kings-speech-poised-to-break-out-big/

For you permanently Out of Towner a2ker's:
Quote:
Australia 13 January 2011
Germany 20 January 2011
Ireland 21 January 2011
UK 21 January 2011
Brazil 2 February 2011
Netherlands 3 February 2011
France 9 February 2011

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947798/releaseinfo
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 05:38 pm
My SIL and I went. There were about 10 people in the theater. I was surprised. That was before the really good reviews came out.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 09:36 pm
Natalie Portman just won the Best Actress ~ Drama Golden Globe for Black Swan.

Shoots and scores!
Irishk

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 12:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
And yet the grumpy Vulture Critics put it at #8 on their Worst 10 of 2010.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 10:23 am
Mr. glitterbag and I saw the movie and although we have an off-beat taste in film, this was one we didn't agree on. I will admit, that Natalie Portman was excellent, everything was beautifully done, but when the lights came on in the theater, my husband turned to me and said "That was great!!!!" and I said "If I had a gun I would have shot myself in the head". For me I was reminded of all the young girls and young women who never quite achieve in their own minds that they are ever going to meet an unrealistic expectation of perfection and therefore are unworthy. Plus the gradual descent into madness was less than uplifting.

Usually we agree on movies and I agree with the points he made. Portman deserved the Oscar, her performance was gifted even though her character made me feel sad for her and the imagery was breathtaking, but again, a young woman so talented and driven who derives not pleasure but relief in her achievements struck me as overwhelmingly sad. On the other hand, I loved Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 1 and 2 and almost everything Tarantino does, not sure why The Black Swan made me so sad. I guess it was like watching "Precious", another life story that you cannot feel good about. I enjoyed the "Dark Knight" which was very dark, so I don't really understand why I want to erase the "Black Swan" from my head.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:43 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
so I don't really understand why I want to erase the "Black Swan" from my head.
For me it was lack of honesty with the viewer, as we were not allowed to know what was real and what was not. But another problem is the lack of good to cheer, either good people or good with-in people mingled with the bad. The Portman character was saidly sick but their was not very much good in her, the mother was no good, the directer was no good, the other dancers were no good. What this movie needed was a childhood friend who was trying to help portman stay sane, even as she was supporting her, so that even as Portman was slipping into insanity this friend still would not make any move that would kill the dancing dream. That tension between and good and bad would have helped this movie a great deal.

I am with you, I never need to see this again.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:47 pm
this film will go in the same category as Titanic, any Adam Sandler film, Rom Coms and various other so called great films, the unseen category
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 08:46 pm
I thought 'Black Swan' was ok, but nothing to write home about, Natalie is a great performer but the movie itself lacked something.
0 Replies

royable

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 04:17 am
@Lash,
Not yet. I have heard about the disturbing notes about the movie and I am still thinking whether to watch or not.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 05:36 pm
I have a huge respect for Natalie Portman. I really like her in Revenge of the Sith, and can see her talent in Black Swan.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I actually like the movie Black Swan, despite her performance. The use of shaky-cam is a distraction, and I think there's a lack of clarity of story, as well as some clichés.

On the positive side, besides Portman's acting, I think the horror is welcome, and there is some degree of momentum.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 10:59 am
@hawkeye10,
V is for Vendetta!!!! She's a favorite!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 01:14 pm
@Lash,
She's great as Evey in V for Vendetta.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 01:16 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

And yet the grumpy Vulture Critics put it at #8 on their Worst 10 of 2010.

Five year's later. I wonder if they still hold this stubborn mistake of a rotten opinion.
0 Replies