How much is a normal amount to spend on a first car?

MatthewB7621

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 02:34 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I do know a bit about cars as I know a guy who is a car mechanic and I do some voluntary work with him on occasions. Thing is there are so many different cars these days that it is hard to get the different parts etc. Which is why I would like an oldish car so that I can just fix it up when needed rather than paying £300 for someone to fix something that costs £20. I would only ever get a small engines car aswell, something like a 1ltr Yaris, because they have brilliant mpg.
0 Replies

Golden Rule

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 03:10 pm
@MatthewB7621,
$5000 for a used black Mustang GT, with racing interior complete with embroidered seats, back in the 80's. Oh, that was fun!
MatthewB7621

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 06:12 pm
@Golden Rule,
That must have been a hell of a lot at the time. Sounds awesome though. Old cars are so much better than the new modern ones in the way of looks anyway. Modern cars are so boring.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:53 pm
@MatthewB7621,
MatthewB7621 wrote:

Just wanting to know how much other people spent on their first cars.

Group think?

I think the question is a poor 1, if there's a bunch of spoiled ritch kid and you are a person of low income, then there would be a mismatch as the answer wouldn't fit you, it's all very relative.

A wiser question may lie in how much of you income a car should eat up, also considering the rest of your expences.

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:56 pm
@MatthewB7621,
Quote:
Just wanting to know how much other people spent on their first cars.

Somewhere between being and nothingness.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:14 am
@MatthewB7621,
Matthew , you're being a tad melodramatic about all things English:
Minis, MG's, Triumphs are some great English cars.

And these are not the uberexpensive luxury cars like Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Bentley for example.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:17 am
@MatthewB7621,
Not knowing your geographical context (urban, rural, or suburban England): have you considered a Vespa or some equal mode of cheap transportation?
0 Replies

MatthewB7621

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 07:24 am
@HexHammer,
It's just a question, jeez you're a little serious about all of this. It's not like am going to be influenced on the amount I spend on my first car through this discussion. I was just asking other people. So stop complaining.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 07:31 am
Hexhammer wrote:
also considering the rest of your expences.

Any pennies left?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 07:34 am
Laughoutlood wrote:
Somewhere between being and nothingness.

And repeated ad nauseam?
0 Replies

Golden Rule

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 10:09 am
@MatthewB7621,
Used mustangs go for about $13,000, now....for one as nice as I had. I guess it depends on where you are? I am in the southeast US. I worked nights, weekends, and three summers saving for mine. I drove it for 11 years, until I got married...it was my dream car since elementary school. ; )

Since the economy crashed we are seeing lots of cars in the $2,500 range, though...especially ones with high fuel comsumption. It seems the bigger they are, the less the cost of purhase.

I have also noticed a lot dealerships are not listing a set price, just a monthly payment price for "buy here, pay here" with huge banners saying "no credit check". Not sure I would like to fall in that well.... I am about to start shopping for my daughters first car with her. I am dreading it, she is excited...ha!
0 Replies

MatthewB7621

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 06:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wasn't implying that English cars are poor. just that most modern cars seem so boring in comparison to older cars.
0 Replies