Spiders

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:46 am
let me start by saying that I am not anti-spider.

I am anti-death. and anti-go the the fecking hospital.

and now that I am living out on the farm, I seem to have lots of little 8 legged buddies that appreciate the warmth of the cabin.

so far I only kill the ones that I know to be deadly, but how can I slow down the invasion...?

my guess is that they ride in on the firewood, but that train isn't slowing down any time soon.

I was bitten once on the spine by what we think to have been a black widow about 20 years back, but I don't get the willies about them like my friend Iz does... just don't need any extra drama right now...

thoughts...?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,153 • Replies: 23

Letty

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:52 am
@Rockhead,
I had to get an Ant, Roach and Spider killer when I had a cockroach invasion. It's called ACE. Boy does it work! Haven't had a roach since.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:10 pm
@Letty,
it needs to not kill cats.

I'm kinda partial to those two idjits at this point...

how does it work...?

and really spiders is my only creepy crawly so far.

(stinky had a mouse)
Letty

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:15 pm
@Rockhead,
Hmm, didn't think about your cats. It's a pesticide and a spray type thing. How about spraying your firewood.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:29 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

let me start by saying that I am not anti-spider.

I am anti-death. and anti-go the the fecking hospital.

and now that I am living out on the farm, I seem to have lots of little 8 legged buddies that appreciate the warmth of the cabin.

so far I only kill the ones that I know to be deadly, but how can I slow down the invasion...?

my guess is that they ride in on the firewood, but that train isn't slowing down any time soon.

I was bitten once on the spine by what we think to have been a black widow about 20 years back, but I don't get the willies about them like my friend Iz does... just don't need any extra drama right now...

thoughts...?

You can call your local pest control company and ask them how you can spray throughout your home, they'll know. Also you can check the internet. I did both of those, got good info. But, we don't have much of anything inside the house. Now and then I spray simple household spray around the baseboard for those itty-bitty spiders. Never hurt a cat.
I wouldn't live with spiders for the same reason I wouldn't live with fleas. Good luck.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:32 pm
@Pemerson,
I live in the boonies. (I'm carrying water from a well)

and my budget won't include an exterminator.

I'm looking for DIY advice...

(and fleas is easy. we don't like them either)
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:33 pm
get a big snake and let it roam free.

you're welcome.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:37 pm
@dagmaraka,
the cabin is kinda cozy for that.

and I like to walk barefoot in the dark to load the stove about 5 am.

so we vote no to the snake.

but a dag sighting is kinda cool...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:37 pm
@Rockhead,
Spiders are number one mosquito and other insect control - that is the bad thing about killing all of them. Besides, fiddle backs and black widows are hiders. They are hard to kill with just spot spraying. I once did a full kill with lots of bombs (for roaches). It did a wonderful job, for a time being. Must leave the house with all pets for a few days.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:38 pm
@dagmaraka,
Discovered a big snake living in the fire place (it is a fake one) last spring, wondered why we had so few mice over the winter last year......
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:39 pm
@BillW,
a fake snake...

were the mice real?

I have a fake owl that is supposed to keep the mice away.

must admit I haven't seen any fake mice yet...
BillW

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:44 pm
@Rockhead,
No, quit real, rat snake we thing. I hurt some weird sounds one night while watching TV. I like it dark, also saves money. Turned on a light and there it was along the baseboard, about 4-5 maybe 6 foot long. Took hours to check everything very, very slowly. We thought it had crawled up inside the love seat. Finally, we got to the fireplace. There is a little bitty small crack in the bottom. Shined a light into it and saw two eyes glinting back. Now we have a pexiglass panel taped to the front of the fireplace........
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:45 pm
@Rockhead,
the fire place is fake Razz
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:47 pm
@Rockhead,
The pest people will talk with you, they did for me.
At the time I was looking to get rid of roaches - outside. We do it ourselves now but it cost $55 to have the guy come around, spray all around house, attic and garage.

Funny, I've always sprayed my house indoors with Home Depot's family spray, doesn't cost much. Never hurt a cat. We used to live in the boonies in Michigan, got lots of earwigs both inside and out, moles galore. Never did get rid of those moles even after I fed them chewing gum, castor oil, anything else we could think of. The cats just sat there and watched them throw dirt in the air.

I used to have this little nutty cat where we rented a house on the lake here in TX. She would sit in the living room all night watching for spiders and scorpions. They slap them with their velvet paws (spiders). I don't know how she killed the scorpions.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:49 pm
@Pemerson,
don't get me started on moles...

Rolling Eyes

spiders don't move fast enough to excite my cats.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:52 pm
do spiders freeze?

because if they do, soon they will not be an issue until spring...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:53 pm
@Rockhead,
I just let them have thier's anymore. In the country (like I live) you can just forget about it. I always heard that you can only move them out of your yard and then, if all your neighbors moved them to the next yare, then you are in the clear. My closest neighbor is 300 yards.........
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 12:54 pm
@BillW,
mine's further than that.

I can't see the road from my place...

I'm hoping that a good hard freeze ends my dilemma.
BillW

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 01:10 pm
@Rockhead,
600 foot from me to the road

you have to let you house get down below freezing and then when you let it warm back up, they come back up and eggs will hatch - sorry.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 01:27 pm
@BillW,
I just wish to quit importing them...

I'd like to eliminate them in the woodpile area.

without poisoning too much, I will have plants nearby there in the spring.

and we use the groundwater for everything but drinking...