4x4 Driveline Question

Pitter

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 06:00 pm
My 4x4 has lock out hubs. The manual states emphatically: do not operate vehicle in four wheel drive with out the hubs locked in as damage will result. I did by mistake the other day for about four miles but everything seems to be ok. What is the damage that could result (I was in four high)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 945 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 06:38 pm
@Pitter,
the locking hubs would be the first place for damage to occur.

4 miles in 4high is prolly not enough to hurt anything...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 07:28 pm
@Pitter,
Yeh, I do that all the time and I do it for several hours at a time and I havent had any problems. I was told to free up the hubs (I think they are called Warn hubs) every so often by locking them and then unlocking them while in N or P. I like 4wd as compared to AWD (no hubs to turn). Dont know why, but the assemblies are all seemeingly made from metal cast in China and theyre metallurgy is really third world, no matter what anyone says.
Pitter

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 08:23 pm
@farmerman,
I do recall a warning from years aago that running the vehicle in low range with hubs unlocked could break something due to excessive torque. Still not sure what parts would break though.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 08:25 pm
@Pitter,
low range is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

transfer case comes into play.
Pitter

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 05:26 pm
@Rockhead,
Wouldn´t high range 4 wheel drive involve the transfer case as well? How else is drive sent to both front and rear axles?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 07:59 pm
@Pitter,
high range does engage the case, but does not involve the inner workings that change the ratios.
0 Replies