Anyone Have an IKEA Mattress?

sozobe

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:46 pm
Thinking about getting one, online reviews are confusing me. So thought I'd ask here. If you have one, what do you think of it?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 62,048 • Replies: 46
Topic Closed
No top replies

Ceili

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:49 pm
@sozobe,
I bought two for my kids, they like them. I can't remember the name of the mattresses though, but they were of better quality.
sozobe

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:53 pm
@Ceili,
Thanks!

This would be for my kid, too.

I'm thinking of the Sultan Fossing (foam + latex).

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10139902

How long have your kids had them?
JPB

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 08:01 pm
@sozobe,
I bought one for K's new bed when she moved into her apartment. She loves it. I don't recall exactly which one I bought. It was a mid-range one, though.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 08:21 pm
have had a HAGALID for about 6 years, one of my college girls. Been very happy with it. We fell in love with IKEA @1990 in Munich, never been unhappy with any of their products, other than the meatballs I got in their cafe last year.
0 Replies

George

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 08:26 pm
Nigel got an IKEA foam mattress when he went to college.
It's pretty comfy.
0 Replies

Ceili

Sun 28 Nov, 2010 09:50 pm
@sozobe,
It could be the sultans we bought... sounds familiar. They've had them for four years, no problems with them at all.
0 Replies

saab

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 01:35 am
I as a rule donĀ“t like Ikea stuff, but the beds and mattresses I really like.
Sultan is what I use.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 07:28 am
Thanks all!

I hate to buy something without testing it but there is a special deal today and our nearest IKEA is not very near at all (and my car is too small to schlep a mattress home anyway). Plus I just confirmed with my cousin that the mattress that sozlet slept on at their house, and LOVED, was an IKEA foam mattress. We have a lot of IKEA stuff and I'm happy with all of it, so I think I'm willing to do this. This helps a lot though, especially in terms of people having it for a while and still being happy with it.
Tai Chi

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 07:53 am
@sozobe,
Sultan here too. Son got a double sized one about 5 years ago. He just wanted the mattress (no box spring) and threw it on the floor like a futon. It's still comfortable. If you just get the mattress it's rolled up and compressed into a pretty small "tube" -- takes a couple of days to relax. We just threw it in the back of the car.
sozobe

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 08:32 am
@Tai Chi,
I think all the IKEA mattresses are Sultan-something. It's the "something" part that differentiates them. (Fossing, Flokenes, etc.)

I don't think it'd fit in my little car even rolled up -- at any rate, I'd be getting the bed and the slatted bottom too, so fitting all of that in my little car would be tricky at best (and probably impossible). The special today is $49 shipping on a purchase over $500, shipping would normally be $349 so that works out well.
Tai Chi

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 08:35 am
@sozobe,
The last time we visited IKEA we couldn't find the model we bought our son. The most similar was the Favang.
sozobe

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 09:15 am
@Tai Chi,
Well they're having some sort of overload problem on the site... I put the stuff in my cart yesterday to buy today, but I can't access the cart. So this might all be moot. Might have to schlep after all (maybe I can tie something to the roof of my car...) Will keep trying on the site.
Ceili

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:28 am
@sozobe,
I know most Ikeas here have a vehicle you can rent for a pretty reasonable price to bring your stuff home.
sozobe

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:20 pm
@Ceili,
Oh really?? That's new to me. How far though? My main problem is that there are no IKEAs nearby, and I'd rather not do a round trip if I have to return the vehicle. (Closest IKEA is about two hours away.)

Anyway, the site came unstuck and I ordered it all. Fingers crossed. Thanks much for feedback, everyone.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:22 pm
@sozobe,
If you do tie it to the roof of the car, please take a picture for us.

I love those...
0 Replies

saab

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:58 pm
Where there is a will there is a way

http://tmm.tornevall.net/images/upload/0911/flytta.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:39 am
Follow-up question!

Sozlet (age 10) loves her IKEA bed and mattress. (Sultan Fossing, foam + latex.) E.G. and I have an ancient, horrible mattress and need a new one. We've tried hers and we like it a lot too, so we're willing to just go ahead and get the same thing in a larger size.

Here's where I'm stuck:

We have a nice cherry arts + crafts style headboard that I like a lot. It's just a headboard -- we have a cheap metal frame supporting a box spring and mattress that is sort of shoved up against the headboard.

I think that I could maybe get the slatted bed base to fit in the metal frame, but then the bed would be very LOW. It also would be out of whack with the headboard. (The headboard "starts" level with the top of the mattress we have now. I guess we could saw off some of the legs of it to make it fit... hmm.)

Anyway, I could also just slap the new mattress on top of the existing box spring, swapping out the top mattress for a new one.

The most obvious thing to do is to get a whole new bed along with the mattress, but I don't see any headboards I like more than the one we have, and there don't seem to be any plain-vanilla foundations that are tall enough. (There is one bed with drawers and no headboard that's OK but I don't like it much.)

So, do you think I should just put the new mattress on top of the existing box spring? Or maybe get a new box spring too, and put that one the metal frame we have? (New foam mattress on top of new box spring on top of old metal frame.) (I'd measure carefully before going with this to make sure it'd work.)

I have read a lot of reviews of IKEA mattresses and they tend to say the slat + mattress combo is the best (that's what sozlet has).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
JPB

Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:42 am
@sozobe,
You could start with just a new mattress on your old box spring and see if you like it as much as you liked sozlet's setup. If yes, you're done. If not, then you can look to add the slats with or without a new frame latter.

edit: We put an Ikea frame with a high headboard and fairly high footboard in the guest room with a mattress on slats. It does sit kind of low, but it's fine. I don't see the bed frame we bought on the site any longer, but it's grey metal.
sozobe

Mon 21 Feb, 2011 11:00 am
@JPB,
That makes sense.

I could also get this:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70098890

And then put some legs on it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30045144

Not great but with a long enough bedskirt it should be fine.