The Essence of Freedom

JLNobody

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:19 pm
@JPLosman0711,
One of my ideals is to live as if yesterday was my last day. Today is mostly gravy.
If it had been my last day I would not be doing anything now of course. The operative term in my ideal is "as if."

Actually, "I" like to think of "myself" as free because there is no "self" to choose between options. "My" behavior is determined by drives, some of them little more than reflexes and/or instinctive. Others can be described as culturally shaped/conditioned and unconscious. "My" so-called conscious choices are mostly rationalizations, justificatory.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 09:19 pm
@JPLosman0711,
One of my ideals is to live as if yesterday was my last day. Today is mostly gravy.
If it had been my last day I would not be doing anything now of course. The operative term in my ideal is "as if."

Actually, "I" like to think of "myself" as free because there is no "self" to choose between options. "My" behavior is determined by drives, some of them little more than reflexes and/or instinctive. Others can be described as culturally shaped/conditioned and unconscious. "My" so-called conscious choices are mostly rationalizations, justificatory.
vikorr

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 11:57 pm
@JLNobody,
I think people struggle with the concept of freedom way too much. Complete disentanglement for example, is a pysiological impossibility. As far as I can see it's about a balance that you seek and find that you can be happy with.
existential potential

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 06:07 am
@JLNobody,
"Better to treat a day like a lifetime, than treat a lifetime like a day"
JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 10:10 am
@vikorr,
This 'be happy with' you speak of is an excuse to 'settle' and stop thinking for your freedom/disentanglement.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 11:54 am
@existential potential,
That's an interesting and valid way to conceptualize your life. Since I always seem to be going to bed and about to fall into sleep I like to think of my life as one long continuous day segmented into 8 hour nighttime "naps." But that's no better than your model.
Dasein

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:22 pm
@JLNobody,
That's fascinating. You respond to one with
JPLosman0711 wrote:
This 'be happy with' you speak of is an excuse to 'settle' and stop thinking for your freedom/disentanglement.
and then respond to the other one with
JLNobody wrote:
That's an interesting and valid way to conceptualize your life. Since I always seem to be going to bed and about to fall into sleep I like to think of my life as one long continuous day segmented into 8 hour nighttime "naps." But that's no better than your model.
You chastise one for 'settling' and not "thinking for your freedom/disentanglement". Then with the other one you entangle your 'self' in a 'conceptualization'.

A concept (or conceptualization) is a 'combination of characteristics'. It is a mis-representation of life. What 'game' are you playing with your 'self', Trev?
JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:45 pm
@Dasein,
I am not JLNobody.
existential potential

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 03:54 pm
@JLNobody,
Yeah, I really like that conceptualisation of life, but its so hard to live up to. I remind myself of it, but I'm yet to live up to it.
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 05:59 pm
@JPLosman0711,
My mistake. I wonder how I concluded that.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:36 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Quote:
Perhaps you experience happiness in a different way to me - for happiness has never prevented me from thinking, reflecting, or improving.
JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:31 pm
@vikorr,
'Happiness' is something that just sort of 'happens', regardless of the way you live or think. It is an inevitable 'force' of existing, if you exist, you'll experience 'happiness'.

Although it has nothing to do with you un-covering who you are.
vikorr

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 02:15 am
@JPLosman0711,
Quote:
Although it has nothing to do with you un-covering who you are.
I don't think I agree with that. The 'uncovered self' seems to have more meaning ('so this is why I do this'), less fears, more room for improvement, greater clarity of action, clearer perception of others etc...which seems to allow for more happiness.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 03:08 am

Personal freedom of the Individual and the domestic jurisdiction of government r INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL.

David
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 04:04 pm
Curious as to your decision to 'forsake' this forum for so long William?

I am also eager to read your book, have you finished it yet? Please let me know.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 01:49 am
Quote:
Awareness: having knowledge; conscious; cognizant:

I never thought of awareness as having knowledge
cognizant , sure
but knowledge , NO
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 01:57 am

Quote:
Mind: the element, part, substance or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.; the processes of the human mind. (in other words, it's ”the processes of the human mind” that determine the existence of Mind, so, Mind defines Mind. What the hell!!)

without the brain , the mind just hovers about , a blank energy
0 Replies