Cant delete Startup folder

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 03:36 am
I dragged the `startup` from START menu to the desktop. It is system file which can not be deleted. But it still have one on START. How can I delete the file on desktop? Anyone can tell me ? thanks! Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,988 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 03:42 am
What is "the startup"? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Telling you how to delete it may well be telling you how to damage your computer, and I'd like to make sure I'm not helping you make a mistake.
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 03:50 am
oops~, `the startup` here I mean those programs system will automaticlly run when log in the windows in task. I am not sure if I make clear.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 03:55 am
Ok, that's what I thought. I wanted to be sure.

Programs listed in the "Startup" folder are merely shortcuts placed in that startup folder.

By dragging it to your desktop (presumably on your way to dragging it to your trash can) you probably copied a shortcut to your desktop.
When deleting said shortcut you got a message saying that deleting the shortcut doesn't delete the program.

So, if that is all true this is the deal:

Programs should not be deleted. Programs should be uninstalled.

Simply deleting a program will very likely cause problems on yoyr computer, as there is more to a program than mere files to delete.

So if you want to uninstall said program you should use the uninstaller or go to your Add/Remove Programs utility in your control panel.

Now I don't think that is what you are trying to do, I think you are trying to stop programs from starting up with your computer, while not necessarily removing them from your computer altogether.

If that is the case simply go to the "Startup" folder on your "START" menu and right click on the shortcut you wish to delete, then press delete.
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 04:14 am
I dragged the whole Startup file to the desktop, including those programs. And it is not the shortcut on the desktop. It is `Read` file. While deleting it , it tell me that it is system file, Windows need it and can not be deleted. Right click on both one can not work too.
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 04:27 am
Just talked to friends on line, he can deleted it with the same way, will it because some other problems on my laptop? It cant be the problem is I am using Home edition?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 04:36 am
Using home edition is not the problem. The problem really is that what you are trying to do is not something that you should have done and windows is correct to stop you.

Trying to delete the whole Startup folder is trying to delete a very critical component. Windows uses that folder to determine which programs should start when you load windows. Some programs must be opened with Windows to properly function.
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:48 am
So here May I say this: Actually no matter the Startup file on desktop or Startup in START, actually they are the same file which windows need. They share the same directory.

So....that file will be forever on my desktop? Just dont understand there is one in the START, why bother to leave useless one on the desktop? It`s kinda like sand in my eye.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:16 am
Is the one on the desktop a shortcut?
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:11 am
:( nope, not the shortcut . I am sure about that.

But I dont understand:

I deleted the programs icon in the desktop Startup file. Throw them to recycle bin, ( using Norton protected recycle bin, empty all drives protected files.)

1.But the one in the START did not change at the same time.It still includes those programe needs auto-run while log in windows.

2. I choose to see all the files including ` hide` files, NONE one I can see. But it tell me I have one document (or stuff , and take 4.0kB space.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:50 am
Do you have administrative access to the computer?
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:54 pm
I am the administer and administrative accesss to Windows. Also have checked account, there is no wired accounts I dont recongnize.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:56 pm
Ok, I decided to be real nice and drag the folder onto the desktop. So I now am in the same boat and will have to solve it.

;-)

Be back soon.
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:32 pm
hehe..ok , hope you dont tell me the same simple solution is that simple `delete` as my friend told me, really make me ...... Razz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:58 pm
It's much more frustrating that I thought.

The solution is in the registry. I've found the keys but have been mangling my registry with no success thus far.

I didn't sleep last night and will be going to bed early tonight.

So I may end up leaving it for tomorrow so that I don't decimate my registry trying to solve this.

But now that I've stupidly gotten myself into the same boat I will eventually be motivated to solve it.

Interestingly Windows won't allow me to drag the folder there a second time. Wonder why the same function didn't stop the first. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:08 pm
yup, here it goes, you know why I am so frustrating. Wink Didnt sleep well last night just for this.

Hope ya have a sweet sleep and flash a gud idea tomorrow.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 10:16 pm
I think I got it now. Let's get this over with.

First of all if you want to mess with your registry be my guest (and wear a hat so that you don't pull out your hair, as nothing worked as expected for me there). But I found an easier way that worked for me.

1) First of all open your real Startup folder.

It should be something like:

Code:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

2) Copy anything from there into the Startup folder you have on your desktop.

3) Then drag the Startup folder you have on your desktop to:

Code:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

(or basically where the real Startup folder should go).

4) When prompted to replace the files and folders do so.

Hopefully that will solve it, and your next step is to promise to try to convince me not to duplicate your bugs if something weird happens to you again. ;-)

There aren't any good solutions out there on the SERPS so I'm gonna add the error message in case some internet searcher needs help finding this solution:

Startup is a windows system folder and is required for windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted.

If you can edit your first post and change the Title to "Can't delete Startup folder" it will help others in this predicament find the solution.
0 Replies

amethyst

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 04:04 am
Thanks Craven ! Done! That`s a neat way to solve that bug not messing registry. Why didnt I think that way? hmnn...a bit stupid these days.
My initial purpose is not want to delete Startup folder, but adjust the sequence in the START, unfornately my fingers are a bit out of order, so leave it on the desktop and become a bug for me. Razz

I will change the titile and hope it may help others who make this bug. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:34 am
Good news. This was a frustrating one.
0 Replies

RubbaDub9202

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 03:32 pm
THANKS!
I had the SAME EXACT problem... For some reason, I can't drag&drop into ANY folders in the start menu (including startup), so i tried putting Startup on the desktop and putting programs in that way. So then I couldn't get the startup folder off of my desktop... I 'explored' the 'real' startup folder, and replaced it with the startup folder from my desktop, and it worked! ...Another Windows bug that people lose sleep over... I'm glad I found this page before I got too irritated.
0 Replies